Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Former Bengal's Head Coach Sam Wyche Passes Away

Former Bengal's Head Coach Sam Wyche Passes Away

Mentioned on the Bengal's thread, but thought it deserved it's own thread so fans could express their thoughts .....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-wyche-dies-74

I really liked Sam. Loved some of his offensive innovations, including the no-huddle. He was definitely a go-against-the-grain kind of coach. The last Bengal's head coach to win a post season game (1991 Wild Card game vs the Houston Oilers). Dad passes away, Mike takes over, and immediately there is controversy surrounding Wyche's exit from Cincinnati.

Thus began the reign of Mike Brown, the Dave Shula disaster, and the terrible 90s.

The method of his exit was important.

Because if Wyche was fired, he was due $1 million for the two years remaining on his contract, whereas if he resigned, he wouldn't see a penny of that money.
    https://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/6/5...news-and-notes

Got Mike Brown written all over it IMO.

RIP Sam
    Last edited by GAC; 01-03-2020 at 04:31 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-03-2020),Kingspoint (01-04-2020),North (01-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Former Bengal's Head Coach Sam Wyche Passes Away

Former IU head coach as well...

RIP Coach

5. Likes:

oregonred (01-03-2020)

Coach of my childhood, and yes Mike Brown did him extremely wrong.

Ironic given what his dad went through and how that seemed to effect Mike otherwise.

I'd love to see a coach as innovative as Wyche one more time in my life in Cincinnati.

Great video from NFL Films: https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1213160309181079553
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Coach of my childhood, and yes Mike Brown did him extremely wrong.

Ironic given what his dad went through and how that seemed to effect Mike otherwise.

I'd love to see a coach as innovative as Wyche one more time in my life in Cincinnati.

Great video from NFL Films: https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1213160309181079553
    I really liked Sam but I don't know that Mike did him wrong. He was coming off a 3-13 season. It was probably time for him to go. He never had a winning season as TB's head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I really liked Sam but I don't know that Mike did him wrong. He was coming off a 3-13 season. It was probably time for him to go. He never had a winning season as TB's head coach.
    Just a year out from winning a playoff game, three years out from a Super Bowl appearance.

It was definitely about the money, just like all of Brown's behavior in the 90s.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Just a year out from winning a playoff game, three years out from a Super Bowl appearance.

It was definitely about the money, just like all of Brown's behavior in the 90s.
    I'm not as confident as you that it was about the money. With Mike Brown it's generally about control.

We can debate back and forth whether it was a prudent move but Mike's position is defensible given the 3-13 season and the fact that Sam did not find success elsewhere after he left. This isn't like Sparky Anderson after the 1978 season. That was an undeserved firing on many levels

Refresh my memory here...what was the story behind Sam "leaving" the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    It was murky. They came out of their "end of the year" chat with Mike Brown saying he quit. Sam saying he was fired. Asked about this again (yesterday), Mike Brown answered with "I can't remember what happened. it was so long ago..." or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    https://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/6/5...news-and-notes
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Thanks fellas^^^

I liked Sam even though he mucked up IU's uniforms....

Turn Off Ads?