Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Sleeper

Re: Red Sleeper

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Votto will shock all the naysayers. He will have a monster year. 2017 kinda year.
    Bauer will be what Gray was last season.
    Flops will be Aquino and Gray.
    How can Aquino be a flop when there are no big expectations by Reds fans in Redszone

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gotta think it’s a pitcher. I’m really excited to see what kind of effect Kyle Boddy has on this pitching staff, organization wide. Also having Derek Johnson doesn’t hurt. Lol I’ll guess Stephenson puts it together for the whole season.

4. Likes:

redsman2007 (01-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Reed, Senzel, and Mahle are quality choices. But I'll go with Aquino. I think a lot of people are wondering if he can continue. I think he will, although obviously not at the HR clip he was on last year.
    He's definitely a wild card. If he can simply split the difference between his August and September numbers, it'll be a nice year.

Joel Kuhnel. I think Johnson helps him put everything together and he dominates.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 01-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.

7. Likes:

Mitri (01-06-2020),RedlegJake (01-06-2020)

I mostly liked what we saw from him last year, so I'll say that Matt "Lil Bow wow" Bowman will have a career year in 2020.

I'll go beyond sleeper all the way to coma status. A lot of things would have to fall in place for this one. But if we trade Senzel for a SS (presumably Lindor) that would put Shogo in CF and Aquino in RF. If Aquino busts altogether or against righties, that could lead to a Schebler revival.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I agree with the OP on Reed. I'll also throw JVM into the mix. He came up with some fanfare last year, once he got a starting role he came out hot in july then faded a bit. I still like his overall offensive profile.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

11. Likes:

Brisco (01-10-2020)

Mahle feels like a way to obvious answer, but I'll go with that. His ERA, driven by HRs and bad timing, hid real improvement in a number of areas last year. He bumped up his groundball rate and cut his walk rate by nearly 2 BB/9 while sustaining a very healthy strikeout rate. He seems to have done this by moving away from his change-up and slider and introducing both a curveball and variations on his fastball. The cutter seems to have gotten hit quite hard, but he's clearly working on his pitching mix and a willing student in terms of tinkering.

If he can get his gopheritis under control, he could go from swing man to #3 starter quite quickly.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

13. Likes:

CaiGuy (01-06-2020),Ron Madden (01-06-2020),TRF (01-10-2020),Tuff Nut (01-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Mahle feels like a way to obvious answer, but I'll go with that. His ERA, driven by HRs and bad timing, hid real improvement in a number of areas last year. He bumped up his groundball rate and cut his walk rate by nearly 2 BB/9 while sustaining a very healthy strikeout rate. He seems to have done this by moving away from his change-up and slider and introducing both a curveball and variations on his fastball. The cutter seems to have gotten hit quite hard, but he's clearly working on his pitching mix and a willing student in terms of tinkering.

If he can get his gopheritis under control, he could go from swing man to #3 starter quite quickly.
    I concur with your analysis but he is #6 in line for starts right now (so it has been said). While I don’t doubt he will get opportunities, will he be able to establish any sense of a rhythm short of a major injury to another arm?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    How can Aquino be a flop when there are no big expectations by Reds fans in Redszone
    Aquino will be so bad he will be sent to AAA. That is my prediction. I think most Reds fans have higher hopes than AAA.
    I hope he proves me wrong and hits 50 bombs.

On MLB Tonight John Smoltz picked Trevor Bauer for bounceback pitcher of the year and Votto as bounceback hitter.

17. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (01-07-2020),redsman2007 (01-06-2020),Ron Madden (01-06-2020)

Nm

Votto has his Griffey 2005 year that a lot of superstars have once near the end of their career.

Finishes off the last game of the World Series with a home run to straight away center off the black batters eye. The sound of the crowd mixed with the ball hitting at just the right moment causes the glass to shatter as he lumbers around the bases.

20. Likes:

Hoosier Red (01-07-2020)

[QUOTE=UPRedsFan;4053745]On MLB Tonight John Smoltz picked Trevor Bauer for bounceback pitcher of the year and Votto as bounceback hitter.[/QUOTE

nm.

I've had high hopes for Kuhnel myself which means his arm will just fall off and get lost in airport baggage somewhere, but ya never know.. GO JOEL!

Turn Off Ads?