Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Reds Minor League Transactions

2020 Cincinnati Reds Minor League Transactions

The Reds have re-signed infielder Christian Colón and signed catcher Francisco Peña.

Colon played most of the year in Louisville last year.
    Pena played most of the year in Sacramento last year for the SFG AAA affiliate.

They both have over 2 years of MLB service each.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Reds Minor League Transactions

It seems like the Reds have lost a number of MILB free agents but haven't made many signings yet, curious as to when they'll start filling out rosters more.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It seems like the Reds have lost a number of MILB free agents but haven't made many signings yet, curious as to when they'll start filling out rosters more.
    They already have a pretty full AAA level, IMO.

C Tyler Stephenson/ Kyle Farmer/ Francisco Pena
    1B Matt Davidson
    2B Alex Blandino/ Josh VanMeter
    SS Alfredo Rodriguez/ Blake Trahan
    3B Christian Colon
    LF Narciso Crook
    CF Jose Siri/ Travis Jankowski
    RF Scott Schebler/ Nick Martini

That doesn't include either Friedl or Fairchild, both of which could well be in AAA plans. (Both Jankowski and Schebler are out of options, fwiw.)

This isn't like years past when they needed mercenaries because there wasn't anything in the cupboard. lol

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They already have a pretty full AAA level, IMO.

C Tyler Stephenson/ Kyle Farmer/ Francisco Pena
    1B Matt Davidson
    2B Alex Blandino/ Josh VanMeter
    SS Alfredo Rodriguez/ Blake Trahan
    3B Christian Colon
    LF Narciso Crook
    CF Jose Siri/ Travis Jankowski
    RF Scott Schebler/ Nick Martini

That doesn't include either Friedl or Fairchild, both of which could well be in AAA plans. (Both Jankowski and Schebler are out of options, fwiw.)
    Dont you think there is a better than 50% chance Davidson breaks camp with the Reds? I think he makes too much sense in a Votto platoon which seems necessary for the rest of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Dont you think there is a better than 50% chance Davidson breaks camp with the Reds? I think he makes too much sense in a Votto platoon which seems necessary for the rest of his career.
    Are the Reds carrying 30 men on their roster? Votto platoon? Dude is owed 100M$.

I do not.

Davidson is, IMO, a AAAA player.

9. Likes:

mth123 (01-05-2020),WrongVerb (01-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Are the Reds carrying 30 men on their roster? Votto platoon? Dude is owed 100M$.
    They are going to have five position players on the bench. Two outfielders, a backup MI, a backup corner infielder and a backup catcher. Davidson fits the backup corner infielder role well given that the Reds need to maximize Votto and keep him fresh.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not.

Davidson is, IMO, a AAAA player.
    Go check his career numbers and his 2018 numbers against lefties. He fits that role well.

They are going to have five position players on the bench. Two outfielders, a backup MI, a backup corner infielder and a backup catcher. Davidson fits the backup corner infielder role well given that the Reds need to maximize Votto and keep him fresh.

Go check his career numbers and his 2018 numbers against lefties. He fits that role well.
    You're assuming no other free agents or offensive pick-ups.

Even if they stand pat, Casali, Ervin, Akiyama, Farmer, and Blandino are my picks. Maybe VanMeter ahead of either of the latter two.

Davidson is in consideration after that-- with Scott Schebler, Payton, Martini, and Jankowski.

You're assuming no other free agents or offensive pick-ups.

Even if they stand pat, Casali, Ervin, Akiyama, Farmer, and Blandino are my picks. Maybe VanMeter ahead of either of the latter two.

Davidson is in consideration after that-- with Scott Schebler, Payton, Martini, and Jankowski.
    I like Farmer's positional versatility, but he didn't even OPS .700 last year. I think Votto is going to need a lot of days off next year and the Reds are going to need a big bat to fill in for him. I think Davidson's offensive upside vs. Lefties is more important than Farmer's defensive versatility.

I would love for the Reds to add a better backup corner infielder than Davidson, but I think he fits what the Reds need pretty well.

I think Moustakas slides over to 1b on Votto's rest days. Senzel will play 2B and Akiyama will get more PT that way. If Aquino crashes and burns (or Ervin), then Maybe Davidson gets into the mix as a RHPH/sunday special 1B with Senzel playing more OF and less IF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

HokieRed (01-08-2020)

Davidson didn’t play in the majors last year, and it wasn’t like the Rangers had an over abundance of talent at the major league level last year. My guess he’s AAA depth.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

16. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-06-2020),WrongVerb (01-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Davidson didn’t play in the majors last year, and it wasn’t like the Rangers had an over abundance of talent at the major league level last year. My guess he’s AAA depth.
    Looks like Ronald Guzman played roughly half of the innings for the Rangers in 2019, Danny Santana played roughly a quarter and so did Logan Forsythe. Guzman is a young player who had a rough year. He keeps hitting well in AAA, but it will not translate to the bigs. He may not be a proven stud already, but is understandable why a guy like him was getting PT. Danny Santana had a .857 OPS last year. Makes sense that he would get PT over Davidson. Forysthe had a rough year last year and 2018, but he was on a guaranteed contract and the Rangers probably were hoping that he would return to his 2015 - 2017 form. Plus, he played all four infield positions, so I am sure the Rangers waned his versatility.

Given a deeper dive, I would say the Rangers did have much better 1B depth than the Reds did last year. Remember, Derek Dietrich got the second most innings at 1B last year (119) and Dietrich is not a good platoon fit with Votto. I continue to believe Davidson is the right fit on the Reds bench for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Moustakas slides over to 1b on Votto's rest days. Senzel will play 2B and Akiyama will get more PT that way. If Aquino crashes and burns (or Ervin), then Maybe Davidson gets into the mix as a RHPH/sunday special 1B with Senzel playing more OF and less IF.
    My guess is Senzel doesn't log any significant time in the infield for Reds in 2020. LIke last year when he got 1.1 innings in a switch.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

19. Likes:

Kc61 (01-07-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

#Reds signed RHP Brooks Raley to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. He spent the last 5 years with the Lotte Giants in Korea and made at least 30 starts each year. He had a 3.88 ERA last season.
    You may remember him from earlier in the decade with the Cubs.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?