• 2B Ivan Johnson

8 17.78%
  • SS Braylin Minier

2 4.44%
  • CF Jose Siri

13 28.89%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #15 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #15 Prospect???

OF T.J. Friedl has taken the #14 slot.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

^If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

***THIS IS A 96 HOUR POLL***

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #15 Prospect???

After this poll I'll be expanding the voting list.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Hopefully Johnson can finally get some traction here. As a reminder, he was the Reds 4th rounder in 2019 who hit slightly above league average and played shortstop.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Yes, I went Johnson here, though I see the argument for Hannah. Anyone else is a step behind those two in my opinion.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Voting Johnson again, but not too confident about it. Given what he did last year, it may be time for Acosta soon. This is all becoming a muddle to me.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I get the reluctance on Siri. He has underperformed lately, and the contact skills leave a lot to be desired. But I keep going back to his record hitting streak in Dayton and thinking that he obviously has some upside along those lines. Moreover, he's probably plus-plus in two tools--speed and defense--and possibly plus in power. The talent is there, and then some. That said, I'm not a big fan of the little I've seen of his makeup. As somebody here noted, he might not even stick on the 40-man. Kinda reminds me of Aquino.

I'm going with the rare ability at this point. And the premium position he can easily handle. We're at #15, after all.

Hannah, premium position - previous record of excellent on base skills.

Acosta again for me. Lower floor, but higher upside than those left on the board.

It really blows my mind that the leading vote getter at #15 (Siri) is very likely to be DFAed in the next month. I get that he is talented, and I really liked him after 2017 and wanted to forgive his 2018, but after another lackluster season and given the roster crunch, I do not value him nearly as closely as guys we do not have to commit a 40 man spot to like Johnson, Acosta and Hannah.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I do not value him nearly as closely as guys we do not have to commit a 40 man spot to like Johnson, Acosta and Hannah.
    None of those guys just seem like they're very high ceiling based on what we know right now (it could change). I'm not in love with Siri (anymore) but I think this is about where he should go off the board.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    It really blows my mind that the leading vote getter at #15 (Siri) is very likely to be DFAed in the next month. I get that he is talented, and I really liked him after 2017 and wanted to forgive his 2018, but after another lackluster season and given the roster crunch, I do not value him nearly as closely as guys we do not have to commit a 40 man spot to like Johnson, Acosta and Hannah.
    Given his defense and incipient power, I'd say that he would be valuable at a BA of .250 and OBP of .325 at the ML level. It doesn't look to me that he is on a path to get there. His K rate hovers around 27%. Next year is his 24/25 year old season. Something needs to happen soon. Is it possible that he is selling out for power? I'd gladly take a change that would trade some power for contact.

Thus far RZone has managed to vote for every player in MLBPipeline, Fangraphs, and BaseballAmerica's Top 10 with two exceptions. Jameson Hannah and Jose Siri.

Siri was 8th on Fangraphs' mid-season 2019 rankings - he currently ranks 15th in MLBPipeline.
    Hannah was 9th in Fangraphs' mid-season 2019 rankings - he currently ranks 10th in MLBPipeline.

Both players were given 45/80 FV grades by FG, Hannah was a 50 and Siri a 45 by MLBP.

***I'm using Fangraphs' and MLBPipeline's non-updated versions from the 2nd half of last year, their 2020 update isn't out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Thus far RZone has managed to vote for every player in MLBPipeline, Fangraphs, and BaseballAmerica's Top 10 with two exceptions. Jameson Hannah and Jose Siri.

Siri was 8th on Fangraphs' mid-season 2019 rankings - he currently ranks 15th in MLBPipeline.
    Hannah was 9th in Fangraphs' mid-season 2019 rankings - he currently ranks 10th in MLBPipeline.

Both players were given 45/80 FV grades by FG, Hannah was a 50 and Siri a 45 by MLBP.

***I'm using Fangraphs' and MLBPipeline's non-updated versions from the 2nd half of last year, their 2020 update isn't out yet.
    I mean Siri's stock certainly didn't rise after he went .194/.255/.255 in the second half.

Hannah did go .302/.350/.381 in the second half. I like Hannah a good bit more than Siri, but still slightly behind Johnson.

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-08-2020)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-20-prospects/

Jose Acosta failed to crack BA's top 20 DSL prospects. Hard to draw any conclusion from it since if they haven't seen much of him and have nothing to write up, they surely won't include him on the list. I was hoping he would make it so I could at least read a write up on him.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Turn Off Ads?