Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 MLB Off Season news and discussion II

Re: 2019-2020 MLB Off Season news and discussion II

Love The Hawk!

2. Likes:

Always Red (05-19-2020),cumberlandreds (05-01-2020),dreghorntwo (05-04-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Indians' reliever Emmanuel Clase has been suspended for "violating Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment program"

His suspension can't begin until any season actually begins.

Trevor Plouffe causing a stir on Twitter saying he’s heard from multiple sources the season will start July 1st.

Starling Marte’s wife died apparently of a heart attack in the hospital waiting on surgery for a broken ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Starling Marte’s wife died apparently of a heart attack in the hospital waiting on surgery for a broken ankle.
    just makes no sense...she was in her 30's? Just a horrible story.

MLBTradeRumors notes a move, adding they had to remember how to note this sort of thing. The Rockies released Tim Melville.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...-melville.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but what happens to everyone's contracts if there is no season? A lawyer could answer this, but I assume they continue as is, except that they didn't get paid for a year for services not rendered. (Please don't whine to me, players, about any financial difficulties you may be having. That's 100% on you for spending too much.)
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

GAC (06-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'm sure it's been mentioned, but what happens to everyone's contracts if there is no season? A lawyer could answer this, but I assume they continue as is, except that they didn't get paid for a year for services not rendered. (Please don't whine to me, players, about any financial difficulties you may be having. That's 100% on you for spending too much.)
    I know people who still haven't gotten their unemployment yet ... call the 877 # and you're put on hold for an hour, then when you talk to someone they direct you to their website (which is practically useless). So NO, I don't want to hear any players whining. Your problems are minimal compared to the rest of society.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-10-2020),jimbo (06-11-2020),Rdirtypirates (06-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I think they do continue as is. My question is what about the minor leaguers. Does a minor leaguer who hasn't been called up who had 5 years in the organization before 2020 get that 6th season where he can be a free agent? Or does 2020 not count and that player would revert back to a 5 year player?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I know people who still haven't gotten their unemployment yet ... call the 877 # and you're put on hold for an hour, then when you talk to someone they direct you to their website (which is practically useless). So NO, I don't want to hear any players whining. Your problems are minimal compared to the rest of society.
    Why is this on the players and not the owners?

The owners are the ones trying to take advantage of the situation. They're the ones being dishonest about how much they make.

Why do some posters root for billionaires?

It makes no sense.

15. Likes:

BillDoran (06-13-2020),Tom Servo (06-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

The owners are the ones trying to take advantage of the situation. They're the ones being dishonest about how much they make.

It makes no sense.
    I don't separate out millions from billions. I root for fairness. I think the players and owners should both share in the pain here. I don't have enough information to know the formula but the players should sacrifice some of their salary for games played if owners aren't getting 40% of their revenue due to no fans

If this doesn't happen at all, I'll blame both sides

17. Likes:

DocRed (06-10-2020),jimbo (06-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

It makes no sense.
    Where did I say in my post that the owners were exempt, or that I was rooting for them? Huge assumption on your part. I've said other wise in previous posts. I was responding to a statement about player's whining. Right now, looking at the circumstances going on in this country .. average citizens hurting financially, small businesses being destroyed .... I could care less about the whining of either ... whether it's players trying to hold onto your million dollar salaries or an owner trying to protect his profit margin.

We are their "support system", and it''s obvious, looking at the back-n-forth going on between the player's union and owners, they could care less about us in a time when sacrifices are being forced upon the general population.

There's been no baseball for 2+ months. That means no fans in the stands, no ticket sales, no concessions, no memorabilia, no nothing as far as revenue being generated. In the private sector I'm seeing businesses and employees BOTH having to make sacrifices to get thru this thing and SURVIVE.

All we're seeing between these two parties in baseball is nothing short of GREED IMO. So right now, my postion is screw them both! As much as I love the game, right now, I'm doing fine without baseball. Priorities.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I really don't get why baseball is getting such a bad rap on this. Their situation is unlike other leagues and of course there's a lot of money at stake. Where there's a lot of money there'll also be a lot of negotiations. That's the way of the world. There's nothing surprising about that

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I really don't get why baseball is getting such a bad rap on this. Their situation is unlike other leagues and of course there's a lot of money at stake. Where there's a lot of money there'll also be a lot of negotiations. That's the way of the world. There's nothing surprising about that
    My guess would be millions of people are out of work and don't wanna hear millionaires and billionaires squabble over possibly losing a few dollars. It shows a lack of empathy. Negotiate all you want, but keep it quiet. I don't wanna hear of billionaires losing a few dollars. Cry me a river. They need to sit down and get ot done or a lot of people wont care. The NFL hit a homerun with the draft, MLB was barely watchable. MLB needs to get their act together.

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-12-2020),REDREAD (06-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    My guess would be millions of people are out of work and don't wanna hear millionaires and billionaires squabble over possibly losing a few dollars. It shows a lack of empathy. Negotiate all you want, but keep it quiet. I don't wanna hear of billionaires losing a few dollars. Cry me a river. They need to sit down and get ot done or a lot of people wont care. The NFL hit a homerun with the draft, MLB was barely watchable. MLB needs to get their act together.
    The Commissioner said in no uncertain terms that we will have a baseball season this summer. They're just negotiating the details. That's enough for me.

Turn Off Ads?