Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 MLB Off Season news and discussion II

Re: 2019-2020 MLB Off Season news and discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I wonder if Sindergaard will be non-tendered?
    I'd think he would have some trade appeal to some of the wealthier clubs...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good news is he should be back right around the time MLB returns.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I wonder if we'll see several Tommy Johns here soon with the uncertainty of if we're even going to have a 2020 season.
    This isn't my idea as I've seen it speculated many times - it will be interesting to see if players (pitchers) going home to train on "their own" will lead to more injuries. I bet a lot of them are trying to figure out the best way to stay in pitching shape and some are pushing themselves too much or in the wrong way.

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-25-2020)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    This isn't my idea as I've seen it speculated many times - it will be interesting to see if players (pitchers) going home to train on "their own" will lead to more injuries. I bet a lot of them are trying to figure out the best way to stay in pitching shape and some are pushing themselves too much or in the wrong way.
    Makes me glad to have DJ; he seems well equipped to be able to offer video coaching and data-driven training to his guys.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

7. Likes:

kaldaniels (03-25-2020)

According to various press accounts, MLB and the players union are discussing several issues relating to the coronavirus shutdown.

Including - how will a shortened season, or no baseball season, impact salary amounts to the players?

And further - how will a shortened season, or no baseball season, impact player service time?

In the Reds’ case, they traded for Trevor Bauer. Could he become a free agent without pitching a full 2020 season for the Reds, indeed potentially having no 2020 season in which to pitch for the Reds?

Another player who comes to mind is Castellanos who has an option to leave after his first year. Will that option be exercisable if there is a shortened or no 2020 season?

These issues are worth following for Reds fans.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-25-2020 at 10:30 PM.

9. Likes:

Cherokee (03-26-2020),Old school 1983 (03-26-2020),REDREAD (03-25-2020)

Haunted by walks

Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan
    Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have a deal, sources tell ESPN. The players have voted on it already. MLB owners are expected to ratify it tomorrow. An excellent sign that draws a path forward as baseball tries to figure out when it will return.

Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan
    ·
    2m
    The most important thing for the players: In the doomsday scenario of no 2020 season, they will get full service time, meaning Mookie Betts, Trevor Bauer, Marcus Stroman, J.T. Realmuto and others will be free agents in November regardless of whether games are played.

In the deal, MLB has the right to shorten the 2020 draft to five rounds, sources tell ESPN. Additionally, it can delay the start of the international signing period to as late as January 2021.
    Last edited by BCubb2003; 03-26-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan
    Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have a deal, sources tell ESPN. The players have voted on it already. MLB owners are expected to ratify it tomorrow. An excellent sign that draws a path forward as baseball tries to figure out when it will return.

Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan
    ·
    2m
    The most important thing for the players: In the doomsday scenario of no 2020 season, they will get full service time, meaning Mookie Betts, Trevor Bauer, Marcus Stroman, J.T. Realmuto and others will be free agents in November regardless of whether games are played.

In the deal, MLB has the right to shorten the 2020 draft to five rounds, sources tell ESPN. Additionally, it can delay the start of the international signing period to as late as January 2021.
    Will they get paid for games missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Will they get paid for games missed?
    Player salaries will be prorated depending on the number of games played. So no, they won’t be paid for a full season. Players are agreeing not to sue for the unpaid salary.

Just guessing the proration of salaries was a trade off for full season service time. Owners are paying $170 million up front to provide some cash to be paid to players during April and May.

Look for service time games to be played with some young players. Or even those with options.

For example, if you can keep a guy for an extra year by keeping him in the minors for a weeks, what's to stop teams from doing just that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Look for service time games to be played with some young players. Or even those with options.

For example, if you can keep a guy for an extra year by keeping him in the minors for a weeks, what's to stop teams from doing just that?
    Well that's nothing new. They've always done that

Louisville Slugger forced to close factory, museum, and furlough staff

Iconic bat maker Louisville Slugger has closed down its factory and furloughed the majority of its workforce because of coronavirus shutdowns.

"We're not doing any advertising. We've cut all our expenses we can. We're just hoping we get back to normal before we run out of cash," CEO John Hillerich IV told the (Louisville) Courier Journal on Monday.
    LINK

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Orioles star Trey Mancini reveals colon cancer diagnosis

Orioles outfielder Trey Mancini revealed Tuesday he was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at the start of this year’s spring training.

The 28-year-old began his first chemotherapy treatment on April 13, a month after baseball shut down due to the coronavirus, he wrote in a Players Tribune article.

Mancini also stated that he likely won’t be able to take the field for the 2020 MLB season, which is postponed indefinitely, as he faces chemo treatment for six months.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    "Scintillating Bloviation" is the name of my Meat Loaf tribute band.
    Mine's called Salisbury Steak.

Sorry, I opened the wrong end of the thread.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

All I will say is that this has been one long off season.....................
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

Chip R (04-30-2020),marcshoe (04-30-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Andre Dawson Deals With Coronavirus As A Mortician

The man consoling mourners and directing his staff at Paradise Memorial Funeral Home might look familiar if he wasn't wearing a mask.

It's baseball Hall of Famer Andre Dawson.

Owning a funeral home took some getting used to, Dawson said Thursday, and now he's adjusting to life as a mortician during a global pandemic.
    "When it came to funeral homes and seeing someone in a casket, it would remind me of being young and going to see a real scary horror movie and not being able to sleep at night. That’s where I was. But you grow and change with the times.”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?