Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 MLB Off Season news and discussion II

Re: 2019-2020 MLB Off Season news and discussion II

I figured somebody would give Addison Russell a second chance by now....if you can get past the bad press he’d be a nice AAA filler/emergency guy

2. Likes:

DocRed (02-26-2020),Old school 1983 (02-25-2020),REDREAD (02-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Have you looked at their OF depth?
    I just looked. I don't see Puig supplanting any of the starters but could be nice 4th. And that may be the issue. He probably views himself as a starter and wants starter money.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I will say I think the game will be slightly diminished if Puig isn't on a major league roster when the season begins.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Chip R (02-25-2020),Tom Servo (02-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Puig's going to be a steal for somebody.
    I could see him sign with the Marlins if he lowers his asking price. I think he lives there. He's Cuban so he should be popular. If he does well the Marlins could flip him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

M2 (02-25-2020),Rojo Rijo (02-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I could see him sign with the Marlins if he lowers his asking price. I think he lives there. He's Cuban so he should be popular. If he does well the Marlins could flip him.
    I was thinking Arizona would be a great landing spot for him. And I can't come up with a good reason for why the Angels haven't signed him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I was thinking Arizona would be a great landing spot for him. And I can't come up with a good reason for why the Angels haven't signed him.
    I know it was cool when he was involved in those fights with the Pirates but I wonder if that is a negative for him. I know we all loved it because he was fighting for us against those Pirates who have been instigating it all that time but in the macro sense, I think organizations take a dim view of getting into fights with other teams. When it happens you want a guy like that on your side but you don't go out of your way to sign a "goon." Plus he's only a few years removed from being demoted to the minors and supposedly tearing up positioning cards. Save for the fights it seems he was a model citizen here. If it's just money, he's got to know he's pricing himself out of the market by now.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I know it was cool when he was involved in those fights with the Pirates but I wonder if that is a negative for him. I know we all loved it because he was fighting for us against those Pirates who have been instigating it all that time but in the macro sense, I think organizations take a dim view of getting into fights with other teams. When it happens you want a guy like that on your side but you don't go out of your way to sign a "goon." Plus he's only a few years removed from being demoted to the minors and supposedly tearing up positioning cards. Save for the fights it seems he was a model citizen here. If it's just money, he's got to know he's pricing himself out of the market by now.
    I'd think a lot of organizations would look at the fights as a plus. Puig is no one's doormat. If your team is looking to overtake a massive favorite in its division, like the Diamondbacks and Angels, the battle Puig brings with him would seem like a good fit. Puig's not starting fights every week, but he I think there's something to be learned from the two Pirates brawls. The Reds spent half a decade meekly accepting the Pirates' beanball tactics. Puig essentially took on the entire Pirates team in that first fight. It was epic.

More importantly, the Pirates looked shook. None of them really wanted a piece of him. That was classic punch-the-bully-in-the-mouth stuff. Somebody on the Reds had to stand up to the Pirates. When the second fight came along, the whole Reds team got in on the action. It wasn't just Puig. Everybody stood up. That strikes me as important. Puig eradicated their roll-over-and-die reflex. I'd value that if I was another GM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (02-25-2020),Chip R (02-25-2020),REDREAD (02-25-2020),Tuff Nut (02-25-2020)

Puig will probably go the Cardinals the last week of Spring. Then go on to put up a .950 OPS with 40 Dongs and 120 RBI's.

14. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-25-2020),REDREAD (02-25-2020)

I'd think a lot of organizations would look at the fights as a plus. Puig is no one's doormat. If your team is looking to overtake a massive favorite in its division, like the Diamondbacks and Angels, the battle Puig brings with him would seem like a good fit. Puig's not starting fights every week, but he I think there's something to be learned from the two Pirates brawls. The Reds spent half a decade meekly accepting the Pirates' beanball tactics. Puig essentially took on the entire Pirates team in that first fight. It was epic.

More importantly, the Pirates looked shook. None of them really wanted a piece of him. That was classic punch-the-bully-in-the-mouth stuff. Somebody on the Reds had to stand up to the Pirates. When the second fight came along, the whole Reds team got in on the action. It wasn't just Puig. Everybody stood up. That strikes me as important. Puig eradicated their roll-over-and-die reflex. I'd value that if I was another GM.
    Like I said, in the macro teams don't want a guy like that on their team. In the micro - in the clubhouse and the manager's office - I think that's something they value. You don't go out of your way looking for a guy like that but if he happens to become one of those guys on your team, that's fine.

I agree with all you've said though. They did need someone to stand up to the Pirates. But it doesn't make sense that he isn't signed yet. His involvement in those brawls is speculation on my part since I can't see any other reason no one wants him.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Spotrac
    @spotrac

Luis Severino signed a 4 year $40M extension with the #Yankees almost exactly a year ago. He’s pitched 12 innings since, & is headed for Tommy John surgery according to GM Brian Cashman. He has $31.25M left on the deal, plus a $15M club option in 2023.

Queue the Senzel for Gleyber trade posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Queue the Senzel for Gleyber trade posts.
    Yeah, and that could be great for the Reds. But, it's more realistic that the Evil Empire sees what kind of starting pitching can be acquired for Andujar and/or Frazier.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

This is awesome...

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

Chip R (02-26-2020),Edd Roush (02-25-2020),redsfandan (02-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I just looked. I don't see Puig supplanting any of the starters but could be nice 4th. And that may be the issue. He probably views himself as a starter and wants starter money.
    I'd take Puig over the RF platoon of Derek Fisher and Anthony Alford. I'd also rather have Puig than Teoscar Hernandez.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

Mitri (02-26-2020)

Keeping a spot open for Jo Adell.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

24. Likes:

M2 (02-26-2020)

Turn Off Ads?