Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fishing around here: Catfish rookie

Fishing around here: Catfish rookie

Hi all. I'm from upstate NY originally. Lakes, ponds and state lands are plentiful. I've always shore fished or ice fished for perch, largemouth bass and other smaller panfish. I don't own a boat. I'm recently retired and ready to dip some hooks. The lakes near me stock catfish mainly. (Loveland/Milford). Ha! the idea of pay lakes is so foreign to me. I'm giving in and rigging up a heavier pole to try it out. I've been watching some videos and getting an idea of what tackle and bait I'll need. It is VERY different than what I'm used to. I've decided to start with punch bait on a Carolina rig. (Easy and the concept makes sense to me). Still need to figure out how to put that big float on. I've seen people fish with hamburger and cornflakes at Lake Isabella. If I decide I like it, I'll come up with my own doughbait recipe. It'll be like being in a laboratory again!

Anyway, I'd welcome any tips or locations or amusing stories. Around me, I have Cedar Lake, Lake Isabella and Stonelick lake. I'd love to find some non pay-lake spots for catfish or any of my old familiar favorites.

BTW, I did catch a large channel catfish once. The only problem is that I was in a Walleye tournament.

The bait shop porch is open!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fishing around here: Catfish rookie

catfish in pay lakes around here are easy - raw chicken or turkey liver wrapped in a piece of panty hose on a liver hook about the size of a pingpong ball

Cowan Lake is where I always used to go before I grew up and made friends with people with their own stocked ponds/lakes.

Best places I've found to catch catfish are a little cafe near the water in the French Quarter and Dixie Crossroads in Titusville, but then I like it blackened and on a po' boy.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-09-2020),TeamCasey (01-09-2020)

I catch several catfish each year while crappie fishing with minnows at Rocky Fork or Paint Creek lake.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

8. Likes:

TeamCasey (01-09-2020)

TC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's it going!!

Hiya, Baybee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

11. Likes:

westofyou (01-10-2020)

Dough balls, chicken livers, a pile of night crawlers, all good for catfish. I spent many a late night sitting on the bank of the Ohio at Anderson Ferry with 3 or 4 lines in the water, just sitting on the bottom. Drank a lot of beer, waited for the tips to dip, caught several channel cats every night. I also used to drop a line in eddies on the Great Miami with good luck. Go across the river and head east to the tail waters of Meldahl dam. Good place for cats, too. I've only been on the KY side.

Great to hear you, TC!
    Last edited by SunDeck; 01-10-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

13. Likes:

TeamCasey (01-13-2020)

They're bottom-feeders. They'll eat anything! At least they always have with me. LOL

Use to love to make the Wheatie's balls though.

Throw the yellow-bellies up on the bank!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?