Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reds Interested in Seager

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Reds Interested in Seager

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Forget whether the Reds would ever give him the chance...who here thinks Senzel could play a decent SS?

I was for it awhile back, now I'm not so sure. But I don't see his future as a CF.
    I have been saying all off-season that I think Senzel could be an adequate defensive shortstop especially considering the defensive positioning now and his bat would bring him to be at least an average shortstop. I think Galvis is a fine backup and second division starter, but Senzel at short gives the upside.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Forget whether the Reds would ever give him the chance...who here thinks Senzel could play a decent SS?

I was for it awhile back, now I'm not so sure. But I don't see his future as a CF.
    I think it depends on your definition of decent. Could he fill in for a game or 2 and not embarrass himself? Sure. Could he be a league average defender over the course of a season? I highly doubt it.

It was always going to be an uphill battle with him playing SS. He played 10 games there in college and every season that passes not playing SS, the shot gets longer. Especially when he's been rehabbing nearly every offseason.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (01-21-2020)

That depends on where that future is. If it's with the Reds, it's pretty much outfield or bust, or possibly even a Joe Maddon type super utility player. With Moose and Geno signed long term to the infield, there just isn't an everyday role for him there.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (01-21-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The Reds tried Senzel at SS two years ago in spring training and decided against that position change.

I'm going to defer to people whose full time job is to make those types of evaluations and say that Senzel cannot play shortstop.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

757690 (01-11-2020),CySeymour (01-11-2020),Griffey012 (01-13-2020),HammerTime (01-11-2020),OesterPoster (01-14-2020),REDREAD (01-21-2020),redsman2007 (01-11-2020)

Senzel is coming off a struggling season in which he had to learn a new position. I want him concentrating on offense this season, and not dealing with learning another new position.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

bagz (01-12-2020),Bob Sheed (01-11-2020),HammerTime (01-11-2020),indy_dave00 (01-12-2020),OhioRiverBarge (01-11-2020),Old school 1983 (01-11-2020),REDREAD (01-21-2020),redsman2007 (01-11-2020),The Operator (01-11-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Senzel is coming off a struggling season in which he had to learn a new position. I want him concentrating on offense this season, and not dealing with learning another new position.
    I could see Senzel taking Peraza role this year. Him playing multiple positions. He would be in the line up when they use DHS, give time off to all infield and outfield players. 10 games 3B 10 games ss 60 games 2b (moose replace votto at 1b with Dh and days off) with 40g in the of

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I could see Senzel taking Peraza role this year. Him playing multiple positions. He would be in the line up when they use DHS, give time off to all infield and outfield players. 10 games 3B 10 games ss 60 games 2b (moose replace votto at 1b with Dh and days off) with 40g in the of
    you could be right but i sure hope not....I'm with ole 757690, i say stick him somewhere, leave him alone, and let him play....hopefully he plays 150 games and we see what we got

I’d rather go for Marcus Semien at this point. Athletics are not going to sign him to a long term deal and a package of Galvis, India, Jesse Winker, Tony Santillan should be able to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    I’d rather go for Marcus Semien at this point. Athletics are not going to sign him to a long term deal and a package of Galvis, India, Jesse Winker, Tony Santillan should be able to get him.
    That package won't get you Semien.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That package won't get you Semien.
    That's a lot for a 1 year rental of Semien, so yeah, hopefully Williams would pass on a deal like that.

But he's only got a few more to learn and he'll have the whole field covered (LOL). I understood the lateral move (3B to 2B) because of Suarez. Didn't put up any argument with the CF move, though have always felt this kid would be a GG INFer future. Was the reason the Red's management moved him to CF simply an experiment based on "he's young, gifted, athletic, this kid can play anywhere" or because they needed a CFer and felt assured he would be a productive one?

Not going to judge him on '19 due to the fact he wasn't given much time to transition/learn CF before they threw him out there ... and his struggles with injury. But Senzel has to have a solid year coming up. He has to answer his critics, and I'm sure that Nick himself feels he hasn't live up to his potential yet. JMO, but I think his value is on the fence (can go either way) which could be a kind of Catch-22 position for the Reds. Trade or hold? If Senzel is asked to be part of a deal that would help the Reds immensely, what do the Reds do? Depending on who is involved in the trade, who plays CF? And if they commit to Senzel and he doesn't raise to that level of expectation - you're stuck.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I believe Senzel's struggles can also be attributed to learning a new swing and dealing with a major injury in Spring Training. Many guys make position changes prior to the season and it does not affect their batting ability. To compound this point, Senzel is going back to the swing he had much success with so it is not like he is learning a brand-new swing.

If the Reds want to be successful, they need to be creative. The Reds are on the cusp of the playoffs based on the projections now, and they need to make some moves to push up the top-end of their error bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I believe Senzel's struggles can also be attributed to learning a new swing and dealing with a major injury in Spring Training. Many guys make position changes prior to the season and it does not affect their batting ability. To compound this point, Senzel is going back to the swing he had much success with so it is not like he is learning a brand-new swing.

Senzel actually started with his normal swing then changed once he struggled and then went back to his normal swing.
    Also if you look at his minor league numbers his numbers at the mlb was not surprising. His wake rate and k rate were in line with what I would expect. Also his line drive rates and iso were close to what you would expect. His babip was .319 which is good but it was the correction between the majors and the minors where he had a very lucky babip in the .370-.390 range.

With more polish he looks like a .270/.340/.460 hitter on his career

Great idea. Where you going to play him?

Over the last 8 years.

The reds top org prospects have been:

Nick Sezel
    Jesse Winker
    Robert Stephenson
    And a sprinkle of Billy Hamilton and Trammell

The best prospect in the reds system
    Has been trash for nearly a Decade.

Turn Off Ads?