Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet-Swinging' Kal Daniels

Sweet-Swinging' Kal Daniels

Nice article about Kal Daniels @ reds.com

Daniels’ confidence showed, especially when he faced some of the best pitchers of the game. His career averages vs. Hall of Famers -- including Nolan Ryan (.353), Tom Glavine (.400), Greg Maddux (.471) and John Smoltz (.300) -- were exceptional.

Orel Hershiser, considered one of the elite pitchers in the 1980s, was also roughed up by the former Red, who batted .429 with four homers against him -- tied for the most homers off a single pitcher in Daniels’ career. Daniels also hit .368 off Rick Sutcliffe.
    I

https://www.mlb.com/news/kal-daniels-reds-cult-hero

2. Likes:

goreds2 (01-09-2020),redsmetz (02-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sweet-Swinging' Kal Daniels

from warner robbins

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Nice article about Kal Daniels @ reds.com

I

https://www.mlb.com/news/kal-daniels-reds-cult-hero
    Maybe the reason the Dodgers traded for him is so he wouldn't be facing Hersheiser any longer.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

goreds2 (01-09-2020),Ron Madden (01-09-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I recall he couldn't hit lefties very well (or at all), so the success vs. Glavine is a surprise.

But perhaps Glavine had reverse spits, that also rings a bell.

8. Likes:

Chip R (01-10-2020),Ron Madden (01-10-2020)

My favorite Kal Daniels stat is that his career hit total is 666.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (01-09-2020),WrongVerb (01-09-2020)

Great OBA at his peak, opposite field power, and bad knees Reds cranked out great young OF in the mid-to-late-80’s. Not the greatest rep in the clubhouse. Used to see him out on the town a lot when I was squiring the young future Mrs. Tucker.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-10-2020),goreds2 (01-09-2020),Ron Madden (01-09-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I once asked Norm Charlton to drill Daniels between the 2 and 8 on the back of his jersey during warm-ups for the game. Norm complied in the first inning, then picked Kal off first. Kal went back to the dugout flipping someone in the crowd off. One of my all-time favorite in-person Riverfront moments.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

14. Likes:

goreds2 (01-09-2020),marcshoe (01-10-2020),Old school 1983 (01-10-2020),Roy Tucker (01-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I once asked Norm Charlton to drill Daniels between the 2 and 8 on the back of his jersey during warm-ups for the game. Norm complied in the first inning, then picked Kal off first. Kal went back to the dugout flipping someone in the crowd off. One of my all-time favorite in-person Riverfront moments.
    Why didn't you like Kal Daniels?

Cal was surely a good hitter with a bad attitude and no outfield skills.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    Cal was surely a good hitter with a bad attitude and no outfield skills.
    I don't know about the attitude but those bad knees were the main culprit of his poor OF skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Why didn't you like Kal Daniels?
    Kal had some really disparaging things to say about Cincinnati on his way out. Going to the hated Dodgers when they were still viewed as the main rival added some fuel to the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Kal had some really disparaging things to say about Cincinnati on his way out. Going to the hated Dodgers when they were still viewed as the main rival added some fuel to the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, but for two iron gloves -- one a malcontent OF (Daniels) and one a utility INF with a good attitude (Harris) -- the Reds got a player who could hold down the fort at SS for 1989 while Larkin was out with an injury AND slide over to 2B for the World Championship run in 1990 (Duncan), and a malcontent RHP (Leary) who was flipped to the Yankees after the season for a sweet-swinging 1B/OF (Morris).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

21. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-10-2020),Ron Madden (02-25-2020),Tadasimha (01-10-2020),The Operator (01-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Yeah, but for two iron gloves -- one a malcontent OF (Daniels) and one a utility INF with a good attitude (Harris) -- the Reds got a player who could hold down the fort at SS for 1989 while Larkin was out with an injury AND slide over to 2B for the World Championship run in 1990 (Duncan), and a malcontent RHP (Leary) who was flipped to the Yankees after the season for a sweet-swinging 1B/OF (Morris).
    Turned out well, didn't it?

23. Likes:

Chip R (01-10-2020),goreds2 (01-11-2020),Number_Fourteen (01-11-2020)

In April 1985, toward the end of my not-brief-enough sojurn in OKC, I went with some friends to see the Reds' affiliate Denver Zephyrs play the 89ers. Man, that lineup was a monster. I was most imprssed with Daniels and O'Neill, but iirc Lloyd McClendon had a big game too (I just didn't think he looked like a major leaguer. I thought O'Neill had one of the best line-drive swings I'd ever seen. OKC's pitcher looked pretty good too, but he'd already been in the majors and wasn't considered a real prospect. Some lefty by the name of Welsh.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

25. Likes:

Chip R (01-10-2020),cumberlandreds (01-11-2020),goreds2 (01-11-2020),redsmetz (02-25-2020),Ron Madden (01-10-2020),The Operator (01-11-2020)

mcclendon was a fantastic catcher just like brad gulden and alan knicely

Turn Off Ads?