Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP, Neil Peart

Re: RIP, Neil Peart

So no room in the top three for Billy Higgins, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams and Clyde Stubblefield?
    Must be top 3 white drummers, because Coltrane, Miles, and James Brown could and did get the best rhythm section they could.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    So no room in the top three for Billy Higgins, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams and Clyde Stubblefield?
    Must be top 3 white drummers, because Coltrane, Miles, and James Brown could and did get the best rhythm section they could.
    I took it as top 3 in rock. Jazz musicians tend to be really good at what they do.

4. Likes:

marcshoe (01-12-2020),mth123 (01-12-2020),Rojo (01-12-2020)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

is this really an opportunity to complain about race?

Hate to hear about this.

I’ve been playing drums for a long time and although I’m much more of a Dave Grohl / John Bonham type, I’ve always had an incredible amount of respect for his ability.

RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

7. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-13-2020)

I don't listen much to Rush, mostly because their music becomes overwhelming quickly. I do recognize their talent, though. It's hard to pick a top anything, mostly because I don't know enough about what makes a good drummer. I know I enjoy Keith Moon as much as anybody, and lately I've been noticing how good Ian Paice is, but frankly, I don't know.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I don't listen much to Rush, mostly because their music becomes overwhelming quickly. I do recognize their talent, though. It's hard to pick a top anything, mostly because I don't know enough about what makes a good drummer. I know I enjoy Keith Moon as much as anybody, and lately I've been noticing how good Ian Paice is, but frankly, I don't know.
    Overwhelming is a great way to describe it. It is a lot to take in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Overwhelming is a great way to describe it. It is a lot to take in.
    Yeah, I really enjoy Rush, but I completely understand folks that don’t like it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I think this conversation is something I think is really cool about Peart and Rush. He/they made music knowing it would not appeal to everyone and really leaned in to it. Peart wrote songs that was, for lack of a better term, for introverted nerds because that is who he was. That is why someone like myself, who has nerdy tendencies embraces the music so much.

12. Likes:

marcshoe (01-13-2020)

I remember when Working Man was released, then 2112 - blew me away! LOL Got to see them twice back in the 70s.

Keith Moon was his hero - and Neil represented the craft very well. RIP Neil
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

Betterread (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think this conversation is something I think is really cool about Peart and Rush. He/they made music knowing it would not appeal to everyone and really leaned in to it. Peart wrote songs that was, for lack of a better term, for introverted nerds because that is who he was. That is why someone like myself, who has nerdy tendencies embraces the music so much.
    You can listen Tom Sawyer and hear things you never heard before.

Very layered, very complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You can listen Tom Sawyer and hear things you never heard before.

Very layered, very complex.
    Right, I also highly recommend everyone listen to Subdivisions a couple dozen times.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Rest In Peace, Neil. Rush was the band I listened to the most in my late teens. If I had gotten my high school girlfriend pregnant with triplets, I would have insisted on naming them By-Tor, Snow Dog, and Cygnus XI.
    Stick to your guns.

18. Likes:

texasdave (01-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?