Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: RIP, Neil Peart

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    So no room in the top three for Billy Higgins, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams and Clyde Stubblefield?
    Must be top 3 white drummers, because Coltrane, Miles, and James Brown could and did get the best rhythm section they could.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,814

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    So no room in the top three for Billy Higgins, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams and Clyde Stubblefield?
    Must be top 3 white drummers, because Coltrane, Miles, and James Brown could and did get the best rhythm section they could.
    I took it as top 3 in rock. Jazz musicians tend to be really good at what they do.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  4. Likes:

    marcshoe (01-13-2020),mth123 (01-12-2020),Rojo (01-13-2020)

  5. #18
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,516

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    is this really an opportunity to complain about race?

  6. #19
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    7,777

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    Hate to hear about this.

    I’ve been playing drums for a long time and although I’m much more of a Dave Grohl / John Bonham type, I’ve always had an incredible amount of respect for his ability.


    RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

  7. Likes:

    Dom Heffner (01-13-2020)

  8. #20
    Member marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In my easy chair.
    Posts
    9,524

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    I don't listen much to Rush, mostly because their music becomes overwhelming quickly. I do recognize their talent, though. It's hard to pick a top anything, mostly because I don't know enough about what makes a good drummer. I know I enjoy Keith Moon as much as anybody, and lately I've been noticing how good Ian Paice is, but frankly, I don't know.
    “[Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

  9. #21
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,516

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I don't listen much to Rush, mostly because their music becomes overwhelming quickly. I do recognize their talent, though. It's hard to pick a top anything, mostly because I don't know enough about what makes a good drummer. I know I enjoy Keith Moon as much as anybody, and lately I've been noticing how good Ian Paice is, but frankly, I don't know.
    Overwhelming is a great way to describe it. It is a lot to take in.

  10. #22
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,848

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Overwhelming is a great way to describe it. It is a lot to take in.
    Yeah, I really enjoy Rush, but I completely understand folks that don’t like it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  11. #23
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,848

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    I think this conversation is something I think is really cool about Peart and Rush. He/they made music knowing it would not appeal to everyone and really leaned in to it. Peart wrote songs that was, for lack of a better term, for introverted nerds because that is who he was. That is why someone like myself, who has nerdy tendencies embraces the music so much.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  12. Likes:

    marcshoe (01-13-2020)

  13. #24
    Goober GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    28,169

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    I remember when Working Man was released, then 2112 - blew me away! LOL Got to see them twice back in the 70s.

    Keith Moon was his hero - and Neil represented the craft very well. RIP Neil
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  14. Likes:

    Betterread (01-23-2020)

  15. #25
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,516

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think this conversation is something I think is really cool about Peart and Rush. He/they made music knowing it would not appeal to everyone and really leaned in to it. Peart wrote songs that was, for lack of a better term, for introverted nerds because that is who he was. That is why someone like myself, who has nerdy tendencies embraces the music so much.
    You can listen Tom Sawyer and hear things you never heard before.

    Very layered, very complex.

  16. #26
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,848

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You can listen Tom Sawyer and hear things you never heard before.

    Very layered, very complex.
    Right, I also highly recommend everyone listen to Subdivisions a couple dozen times.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  17. #27
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    11,590

    Re: RIP, Neil Peart

    Rest In Peace, Neil. Rush was the band I listened to the most in my late teens. If I had gotten my high school girlfriend pregnant with triplets, I would have insisted on naming them By-Tor, Snow Dog, and Cygnus XI.
    Alice Sweet's Tomato Plant

  18. Likes:

    texasdave (01-22-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator