Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statcast Infield Defense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Statcast Infield Defense

I'm much more interested in Statcast statistics than in the old school defensive analytics illuminated by Fangraphs, Baseball-Reference, and their ilk.

According to Statcast the Red infield D has a chance to be above average across the board.

Suarez and Votto both were one percent more likely to make defensive plays than the average fielder and were one out above average with the glove.

Galvis was 12 outs above average and three percent more likely to make a defensive play successfully.

Mike Moustakas was a below average 3B but above average 2B, earning two OAA at 2B. He was three percent more likely to make a play than the average 2B. (This further leads credence to 2B being below or equal to 3B on the defensive spectrum, IMO, but may just be small sample noise.)

2. Likes:

DocRed (01-12-2020)

Re: Statcast Infield Defense

This is very reassuring. Galvis at short and Moustakas at second are unknown to some of us. It’s good to see these Statcast defensive ratings for all four starting IF players.

One major need for Reds IMO is a top flight utility player who can handle some infield positions. The prototype would be Marwin Gonzalez. They aren’t in good position if they lose an infielder for an extended period.

Senzel is coming off rotator surgery, hasn’t played much IF of late, don’t think Reds will want to move him to IF.

Guys like Blandino and Van Meter are ok for depth but I think the Reds need a more proven IFer in a utility role. If he plays some OF too, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is very reassuring. Galvis at short and Moustakas at second are unknown to some of us. It’s good to see these Statcast defensive ratings for all four starting IF players.

One major need for Reds IMO is a top flight utility player who can handle some infield positions. The prototype would be Marwin Gonzalez. They aren’t in good position if they lose an infielder for an extended period.

Senzel is coming off rotator surgery, hasn’t played much IF of late, don’t think Reds will want to move him to IF.

Guys like Blandino and Van Meter are ok for depth but I think the Reds need a more proven IFer in a utility role. If he plays some OF too, even better.
    I'd argue Senzel and the combination of Blandino and VanMeter are a solid utility grouping.

They'd be far better with Galvis as SS and someone else as the starting SS.

5. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'd argue Senzel and the combination of Blandino and VanMeter are a solid utility grouping.

They'd be far better with Galvis as SS and someone else as the starting SS.
    Go Stanford Cardinal Baseball

Senzel isn’t suddenly going to forget how to play infield just because he played outfield last year.

I would welcome the player you describe, but there aren’t a lot of them, especially that can play a solid SS, which is the one position we don’t have depth at.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Senzel isn’t suddenly going to forget how to play infield just because he played outfield last year.

I would welcome the player you describe, but there aren’t a lot of them, especially that can play a solid SS, which is the one position we don’t have depth at.
    I agree that Senzel won’t “forget” how to play infield.

But do Reds see Senzel as a primary infield backup who will take over in case of a meaningful injury? I doubt they do. They could use an accomplished utility man.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-11-2020 at 11:42 PM.

I agree that Senzel won’t “forget” how to play infield.

But do Reds see Senzel as a primary infield backup who will take over in case of a meaningful injury? I doubt they do. They could use an accomplished utility man.
    The Reds don't seem to be in on any more big contracts. They could help their team with some lesser moves. Brock Holt is the guy who fits the description. He might even beat Galvis for the job at SS. At this point he'd be a target. If the Reds can still acquire an upgrade, Holt would still be handy to have around.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds don't seem to be in on any more big contracts. They could help their team with some lesser moves. Brock Holt is the guy who fits the description. He might even beat Galvis for the job at SS. At this point he'd be a target. If the Reds can still acquire an upgrade, Holt would still be handy to have around.
    Good thought.

BTW, re Senzel, Rosecrans’ Wednesday article in the Athletic has David Bell saying he wants Senzel to focus on one position, CF, which he is still learning.

I’m not worried about the defense. I think it will be good and could be very good depending on how the outfield shakes out.

Still worried about the bats, though.

I believe Holt is a great target, though his SS defense would be, IMO, similar to Senzel's.

Better, IMO, to target a guy who can actually take the position from Galvis.

LA's Chris Taylor would be another great target.

Houston's team is also getting expensive Aledmys Diaz would be a solid get. He's also in the arbitration process, and they have Myles Straw as a backup. (Who'd be another intriguing option.)

I believe Holt is a great target, though his SS defense would be, IMO, similar to Senzel's.

Better, IMO, to target a guy who can actually take the position from Galvis.

LA's Chris Taylor would be another great target.

Houston's team is also getting expensive Aledmys Diaz would be a solid get. He's also in the arbitration process, and they have Myles Straw as a backup. (Who'd be another intriguing option.)
    I'd love to get Taylor. I wonder if the Reds could get him for little if they'd take Joe Kelly off their hands. Kelly's a terrible contact, but he'd be no worse than most of the bullpen mix already in place. LA doesn't need much and their spare parts are way better than the Reds spare parts. Giving them enough Salary relief to motivate them is the only way without a big overpay. I'd offer Lucas Sims for both. I might ask for $3 Million for the next two years to offset some of Kelly's salary.

Diaz would be another good option. Not sure what that would take. They could use rotation depth. Maybe Mahle for Diaz. I'd do that and make Diaz the starter with Galvis the reserve.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

On current forty man roster Reds have six infielders and ten OFers. Six is very thin. It includes Blandino and Farmer. Van Meter is listed as an OFer, although obviously he plays second base.

Of the non-roster invitees, most aren’t real candidates for the MLB team. I guess Christian Colon could play in a pinch, he’s a good AAAA type with major league experience. Matt Davidson but that’s first base.

It cries out for an addition in the infield. And, as said, shortstop is very thin. I like Galvis more than most, but Galvis/Blandino at short is very thin for a contending team. It’s an important postion.

So something has to give, whether it be a major pickup, a utility man, or just a backup shortstop.

On current forty man roster Reds have six infielders and ten OFers. Six is very thin. It includes Blandino and Farmer. Van Meter is listed as an OFer, although obviously he plays second base.

Of the non-roster invitees, most aren’t real candidates for the MLB team. I guess Christian Colon could play in a pinch, he’s a good AAAA type with major league experience. Matt Davidson but that’s first base.

It cries out for an addition in the infield. And, as said, shortstop is very thin. I like Galvis more than most, but Galvis/Blandino at short is very thin for a contending team. It’s an important postion.

So something has to give, whether it be a major pickup, a utility man, or just a backup shortstop.
    If Senzel's not an option as a utility guy, I agree that the Reds should be looking for a good one as part of their depth.

That said, VanMeter's played more infield than outfield in the minors and is the very definition of a utility player. It doesn't matter where he's listed.

Too, with the addition of Davidson and Colon to Rodriguez and Trahan in Louisville, the Reds have a backup plan at all the infield positions ready. True, none of them are on the 40-man roster, but that's small potatoes at this point. There are still 40-man guys who could be jettisoned with little issue.

If Senzel's not an option as a utility guy, I agree that the Reds should be looking for a good one as part of their depth.

That said, VanMeter's played more infield than outfield in the minors and is the very definition of a utility player. It doesn't matter where he's listed.

Too, with the addition of Davidson and Colon to Rodriguez and Trahan in Louisville, the Reds have a backup plan at all the infield positions ready. True, none of them are on the 40-man roster, but that's small potatoes at this point. There are still 40-man guys who could be jettisoned with little issue.
    The Van Meter plan would be expected for the usual Reds teams. But not the formula for a contending team IMO. Van Meter got off to a hot start but soon faded - he’s a depth guy on a winning team.

That said, no objection to him making the roster as a LH pinch hitter and occasional 2B/LF fill in. Just think they need more protection for the infielders.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-12-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Based on Statcast, I don’t see Chris Taylor as an everyday SS. He’s well below average according to it. I do like him as a utility player, but he doesn’t seem to be solid enough defensively to start everyday there.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?