Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations 2020

Oscar Nominations 2020

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...icture-1267882

No major surprises, except for maybe Deniro not getting a nomination.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oscar Nominations 2020

While i haven't seen the movie, how did Tom Hanks get a nomination for best supporting actor for It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood? Wasn't he performing a lead role as Fred Rogers in that film?
    For that matter, an argument could be made that Brad Pitt was as much a lead actor as Leonardo Di Caprio in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, which I have seen.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    While i haven't seen the movie, how did Tom Hanks get a nomination for best supporting actor for It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood? Wasn't he performing a lead role as Fred Rogers in that film?
    For that matter, an argument could be made that Brad Pitt was as much a lead actor as Leonardo Di Caprio in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, which I have seen.
    I agree on both counts. But that actually is up to the filmmakers and actors themselves. They submit to the academy what awards they want each actor to be up for. Many times studios submit leading actors for the supporting role awards, because that field is usually less crowded.

I’m guessing that is what happened with Hanks. I’m not sure I understand the Leo/Pitt decision from either side.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

My one big complaint is “The Joker.” It’s a horribly flawed film, and Phillips basically just copied other directors in its style. Take Joaquin Phoenix out of the movie, put in almost any other actors, and it’s an average movie at best.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

No he is actually the supporting actor in that movie, even if it wasn’t marketed that way.

Matthew Rhys is the lead and it’s about him and his family and this article he wrote about Mr. Rogers. It’s not a very good movie.

8. Likes:

RedsBaron (01-13-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Main characters in films are the ones who go through some sort of arc. It can be argued that the Rogers character (as opposed to real life) didn't go through an arc, but rather was the catalyst for the main character going through his changes. Consequently, Rogers was a secondary role, and Hanks was the actor who played him in that role, thus he's a supporting actor.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

RedsBaron (01-13-2020)

Pretty stunned by some of the snubs this year. In no particular order...

Greta Gerwig (Director, Little Women)
    Lulu Wang (Director, The Farewell)
    Jennifer Lopez (Supporting Actress, Hustlers)
    Eddie Murphy (Actor, My Name is Dolemite)
    Awkwafina (Actress, The Farewell)
    Adam Sandler (Actor, Uncut Gems)

I'm happy that Parasite got nominations in both the International Feature and Best Pictures categories. Would be great to see a subtitled film win this year.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

12. Likes:

757690 (01-13-2020),NebraskaRed (01-13-2020),Redsfaithful (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    No he is actually the supporting actor in that movie, even if it wasn’t marketed that way.

Matthew Rhys is the lead and it’s about him and his family and this article he wrote about Mr. Rogers. It’s not a very good movie.
    Well that’s surprising news to me. I thought it was the life story of Mr Rogers!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post

I'm happy that Parasite got nominations in both the International Feature and Best Pictures categories. Would be great to see a subtitled film win this year.
    Even before winning the GG, I thought Taron Egerton was gonna win Best Actor Oscar this year (though I think Leo deserves it). Shows how little I know.

That said, Leo is my pick. He put on a masterclass in Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The Oscars do this sort of thing often, but the fact that Little Women gets nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Score, Best Screenplay, Best Costume Design and then NOT for Best Director?

Uncut Gems and Dolemite Is My Name prove again that any movie that's really entertaining and funny will mostly likely get ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Even before winning the GG, I thought Taron Egerton was gonna win Best Actor Oscar this year (though I think Leo deserves it). Shows how little I know.

That said, Leo is my pick. He put on a masterclass in Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood.
    There is little to no chance that Joaquin Phoenix isn’t winning. I bet your odds of anyone else in that category are 6 to 1 or higher.

Great list. I especially concur with J-Lo and Awkwafina...

Adam Driver in Marriage Story....really?

One of the most forgettable films and performances I've seen in a while.

Uncut Gems getting no nominations. Truly tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Great list. I especially concur with J-Lo and Awkwafina...
    Nah, Dazani deserved it more.

(yes, I'm old; what about it?)
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-15-2020)

Turn Off Ads?