Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations 2020

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Oscar Nominations 2020

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    The Oscars do this sort of thing often, but the fact that Little Women gets nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Score, Best Screenplay, Best Costume Design and then NOT for Best Director?

Uncut Gems and Dolemite Is My Name prove again that any movie that's really entertaining and funny will mostly likely get ignored.
    Stiff competition. I had 4/5 of the director's nominated as locks, with the 5th spot up in the air. I gave it to Gerwig, but Bong-Joon Ho surprised. I enjoyed Parasite as much as any of the other films - it's just rare to see a director of a non-English speaking film in the mix.

Banderas was the only surprise in Best Lead Actor, IMO. I thought Murphy might get the nod instead.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    Uncut Gems getting no nominations. Truly tragic.
    Agree, and I have to wonder how many of the people responsible for the nominations even saw the movie.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

If Mendes doesn't win for 1917, I'll be shocked.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If Mendes doesn't win for 1917, I'll be shocked.
    That's the only one in the list that I saw, lol. Do you think he should win because of the single shot? I thought that was interesting but not sure it made me feel like it added a huge deal. Either way, it was a great movie and George Mackay was brilliant. I felt attached to him like he was my own son, his performance was that good.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I haven't seen 1917 yet (though I plan to, and there's a 100% chance I'm going to like it). Yet isn't the basic plot a lot like Gallipoli?
    Last edited by Kinsm; 01-21-2020 at 09:35 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I haven't seen 1917 yet (though I plan to, and there's a 100% chance I'm going to like it). Yet isn't the basic plot a lot like Gallipoli?
    didn't mean to edit - meant to reply - lol

As far as your question - Not really. Most of 1917 is done outside the trenches.

In some ways yes. Story of a young guy trusted to get a message forward to prevent a defeat.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

9. Likes:

M2 (02-02-2020)

That's what I said on the movies thread. I don't know, though, since I haven't seen the film.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    That's the only one in the list that I saw, lol. Do you think he should win because of the single shot? I thought that was interesting but not sure it made me feel like it added a huge deal. Either way, it was a great movie and George Mackay was brilliant. I felt attached to him like he was my own son, his performance was that good.
    Yes. Essentially because of the single shot and how well it was done. Had to make it much harder to film.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    The Oscars do this sort of thing often, but the fact that Little Women gets nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Score, Best Screenplay, Best Costume Design and then NOT for Best Director?

Uncut Gems and Dolemite Is My Name prove again that any movie that's really entertaining and funny will mostly likely get ignored.
    In my opinion you can add Knives Out in that Category.

13. Likes:

NebraskaRed (01-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    1917 is an entertaining movie, that is filmed very professionally by Roger Deakins (worked on many Coen Brothers films, Kundun, Assassination of Jesse James and many other beautiful filmed movies). The movie looks like WW1.
    However, it is not filmed through a single take or camera angle. It doesn’t even try to do that. There are a number of long takes, but there are other films with far longer takes. Example: Russian Ark, directed by Sokurov. The camera follows the narrator through the St Petersburg winter palace room by room, ending in the grand ballroom in the final scene.
    Last edited by Betterread; 01-24-2020 at 06:07 PM.

15. Likes:

SunDeck (01-24-2020)

No. Gallipoli had more character development and tried to be somewhat historical. This movie is more like Private Ryan with less gore, less famous actors and better cinematography.

Sometimes I walk into movie with preconceived notion that it will disappoint me. But when the movie is good, it's good. Knives Out, Once Upon a Time, and JoJo Rabbit were movies this year I expected to not like that much that I liked a lot. Green Book and Shape of Water in previous years.

I expected to be underwhelmed by Little Women and I was. Honestly it was like watching a Lifetime Movie.

I expect that it's getting it's Oscar buzz because it's written and directed by woman and at times is a little preachy about women.

Soarase Roanon did a good job. If she won Best Actress I wouldn't slash my wrists. She certainly deserves it over Charlize Theron. That's the only performances I've seen of the actress nominees. Of the performances I've seen this year I'd give it Lupita Nyong'o in Us.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Has anyone seen American Factory on Netflix? It was nominated for Best Documentary. IDK how I'm just now finding out about it. It's about Fuyao Glass taking over the old GM plant in Moraine, which is like 10 minutes away from me. Two Wright State professors (one former) directed it. They also directed "The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant" 10 years prior and were also nominated for an Oscar then.

Last edited by Ohayou; 01-30-2020 at 09:35 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

19. Likes:

NebraskaRed (02-01-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Has anyone seen American Factory on Netflix? It was nominated for Best Documentary. IDK how I'm just now finding out about it. It's about Fuyao Glass taking over the old GM plant in Moraine, which is like 10 minutes away from me. Two Wright State professors (one former) directed it. They also directed "The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant" 10 years prior and were also nominated for an Oscar then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m36QeKOJ2Fc
    My step dad worked there back in the 80s.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?