Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations 2020

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Oscar Nominations 2020

Yeah, I know a few people who worked there. And at least 1 person who currently works at Fuyao.

Apparently, the Obamas saw it and decided to produce the film through their production company, Higher Ground. It's the first Obama production to appear on Netflix as well.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Has anyone seen American Factory on Netflix? It was nominated for Best Documentary. IDK how I'm just now finding out about it. It's about Fuyao Glass taking over the old GM plant in Moraine, which is like 10 minutes away from me. Two Wright State professors (one former) directed it. They also directed "The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant" 10 years prior and were also nominated for an Oscar then.

Netflix's inability to promote their own movies/shows remains completely baffling. They have a few Oscar-nominated movies this year, and you'd think they'd be promoting the heck out of them.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I found out about it on a LinkedIn post shared by Wright State University.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Saw 1917 tonight. Really enjoyed it. IMO, it's a horror movie dressed up as a war movie. It's the story of a guy trying to navigate a world that's trying to kill him. The war is an oppressive, unnatural abomination that looms over every step he takes. Can't really say whether I like it better than Parasite or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. All are excellent.
    Last edited by M2; 02-02-2020 at 03:11 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I watched Judy today and while Renee Zelweger was very good, I’m not sure it’s some run best actress performance.

I did like the movie though, I didn’t know much about Judy Garland.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Saw 1917 tonight. Really enjoyed it. IMO, it's a horror movie dressed up as a war movie. It's the story of a guy trying to navigate a world that's trying to kill him. The war is an oppressive, unnatural abomination that looms over every step he takes. Can't really say whether I like it better than Parasite or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. All are excellent.
    I think it’s between Parasite, 1917 and maybe Jo Jo Rabbit (which is unexpectedly excellent).

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think it’s between Parasite, 1917 and maybe Jo Jo Rabbit (which is unexpectedly excellent).
    I think it's 1917 all the way for Best Picture. Probably Sam Mendes for Best Director.

Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor.

My predictions are usually wrong, but I feel good about these.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I think it's 1917 all the way for Best Picture. Probably Sam Mendes for Best Director.

Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor.

My predictions are usually wrong, but I feel good about these.
    Phoenix for sure and I think Mendes is likely. I can see voters seeing that as awarding 1917 (plus cinematography) and going to Parasite or Jojo for Best Picture though.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I really need to see Jo Jo Rabbit.

Jojo Rabbit, Little Women, Parasite and Queen & Slim are my favorite movies of the year.

In order for me: 1917, Jo Jo Rabbit, Once Upon a Time, Ford vs Ferrari. Didn't see: Joker, Irishmam, Marriage Story. Shouldn't have been nominated: Parasite, Little Women. Should have been in picture: Knives Out, Richard Jewell.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

The awards this year are going to be rather boring. Barring any major upsets, most of the major winners are already determined:

Picture: 1917
    Director: Mendes (Biggest chance of an upset here. If Mendes doesn't win it, it'll probably be Bong)
    Actor: Phoenix
    S. Actor: Pitt
    Actress: Zellwegger
    S. Actress: Dern
    Foreign: Parasite

My official predictions of the rest of the categories (not necessarily what I want to win) For the record, I've seen all but one of the nominated films, Les Miserables, but, it has no chance of winning the award it's nominated for (International Feature).

Original Screenplay: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Adapted: Little Women
    Animated Feature: Toy Story 4
    Animated Short: Hair Love
    Doc Feature: American Factory
    Doc Short: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You Are a Girl)
    Live Action Short: The Neighbor's Window
    Score: Joker
    Song: I'm Gonna Love Me Again (Rockeman)
    Sound Editing: Ford v Ferrari
    Sound Mixing: 1917
    Production Design: Parasite
    Cinematography: 1917
    Makeup/Hairstyling: Bombshell
    Costume: Little Women
    Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari
    Visual Effects: Avengers: Endgame

Let's see how well I do.. Normally I don't do too well with these things, but, we'll see.
    Last edited by Nathan; 02-08-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

I suspect if I rewatched Joker, I'd be bored and Phoenix's performance would strike me as too precious. If I rewatched Once Upon a Time, I suspect I'd be tempted to give Leo's western scene a standing ovation.

I haven't see the other three, but am hoping to do so in the coming months. My bias is Pedro Almodovar and Antonio Banderas are a truly great director-actor combo and probably did something special in Pain and Glory.

Having now seen all of the best picture nominees, Parasite and Once Upon a Time are my two favorites of that bunch.

Uncut Gems and The Last Black Man in San Francisco should have been nominated.

I predict that Joker will not be remembered fondly as time goes on, despite Phoenix's performance.

I still think 1917 will win.

I can't get past the feeling that the Academy will try to prove how open minded and fair they are and vote Parasite. I think 1917 did too well at the box office.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

17. Likes:

757690 (02-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?