Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations 2020

Re: Oscar Nominations 2020

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I can't get past the feeling that the Academy will try to prove how open minded and fair they are and vote Parasite. I think 1917 did too well at the box office.
    If I were a betting man, I’d put a small wager on Parasite for best picture. A long shot, but I’m guessing much better than what the odds are.

And if it happened, it would not just be good PR for the academy, but fully justifiable on merit alone.

Personally I’m rooting for JoJo Rabbit, but I doubt it wins anything.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If I were a betting man, I’d put a small wager on Parasite for best picture. A long shot, but I’m guessing much better than what the odds are.

And if it happened, it would not just be good PR for the academy, but fully justifiable on merit alone.

Personally I’m rooting for JoJo Rabbit, but I doubt it wins anything.
    Yeah, Parasite (the "2nd-best" odds on favorite) winning would not surprise me at all.

1917 winning/sweeping the big categories just has a vanilla ring to it...I imagine something (Parasite winning Best Picture) will shake things up.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I think it's 1917 all the way for Best Picture. Probably Sam Mendes for Best Director.

Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor.

My predictions are usually wrong, but I feel good about these.
    1917 won the British Bafta (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) award for beat picture.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51013333

I can't get past the feeling that the Academy will try to prove how open minded and fair they are and vote Parasite. I think 1917 did too well at the box office.
    They should, Parasite deserves to win. Incredible film.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

6. Likes:

Larry Schuler (02-11-2020),Wonderful Monds (02-09-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’m guessing it’s between Parasite and Once Upon a Time In Hollywood myself.

It’s such a bummer. My wife and I used to go see every critically acclaimed movie that came out when we were dating and before kids. We have a 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter and I feel like every year when the Oscar noms come out I haven’t seen any of the movies. I have not seen one best picture nom this year and I absolutely hate it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s such a bummer. My wife and I used to go see every critically acclaimed movie that came out when we were dating and before kids. We have a 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter and I feel like every year when the Oscar noms come out I haven’t seen any of the movies. I have not seen one best picture nom this year and I absolutely hate it.
    That will change in about 15 years.

BTW, saw Jojo Rabbit last night. Really good movie. Sam Rockwell does his usual sneak-up-on-you-with-a-great-performance trick.
    Last edited by M2; 02-09-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Kinsm (02-09-2020)

In order for me: 1917, Jo Jo Rabbit, Once Upon a Time, Ford vs Ferrari. Didn't see: Joker, Irishmam, Marriage Story. Shouldn't have been nominated: Parasite, Little Women. Should have been in picture: Knives Out, Richard Jewell.
    I’m happy to accept people have different interpretations of art and their own likes and dislikes. But Richard Jewell? Absolute garbage.

Parasite wins best international film, best screenplay, best director. Only one more big one to go.

I'm so glad I was wrong! Parasite was my favorite movie of the year.

14. Likes:

757690 (02-09-2020),Redsfaithful (02-10-2020)

Parasite was so good. Glad it won.

16. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-10-2020)

I liked JoJo Rabbit just a bit more, but I’m actually glad Parasite won. Just when I lose faith in The Academy, they pull a sneaky move like this.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Damn, I did not see that one coming! Parasite was my favorite of the nominees. I remember seeing Memories of Murder for the first time like 15 years ago and thinking who the hell is this director? It quickly became one of my personal favorites. Do yourself a favor and go watch it.

Looking forward to the Parasite HBO series.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Very cool. Parasite was very unique and did something I’d never seen before. 1917 is a very good war movie with killer cinematography.

Also, even though this is probably the best Korean film made, there are a ton of really good ones, particularly in the horror genre that I would check out.

I believe Parasite is the first foreign-language film to win the Oscar for best picture.

Turn Off Ads?