Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year

Why are players untouchable here?

2. Likes:

757690 (01-13-2020),cincinnati chili (01-14-2020),DocRed (01-13-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),redsrule2500 (01-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    These penalties are a joke. They do nothing, absolutely nothing to prevent others from cheating just like the Astros, did.

You get a World Series Banner and your price is a one year suspension, a fine, and the loss of a few draft picks.

How insulting. Manfred is worse than Selig ever was.
    Losing those 4 top draft picks is pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    They have a union. MLB doesn't want to mess with that. But I agree, they are just as guilty, and should receive some punishment.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

6. Likes:

George Anderson (01-13-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),redsrule2500 (01-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    MLB doesn't have to deal with the players union.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Along with MLB not wanting to get into with the players' union, how do you prove that a player benefited from this? it can be obvious that they did, but how do you prove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Losing those 4 top draft picks is pretty significant.
    It puts them at a slight disadvantage going forward, but they already have a championship caliber MLB team, and a rich farm system. They will be competitive for years, even with these loses.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

REDREAD (01-13-2020)

These penalties are a joke. They do nothing, absolutely nothing to prevent others from cheating just like the Astros, did.

You get a World Series Banner and your price is a one year suspension, a fine, and the loss of a few draft picks.

Completely agree. The use of technology to cheat hurts the integrity of the game.
    All involved should be banned from front office and managing jobs for life.
    I do agree, the players should not be penalized, just manager, GM. I would even allow the guys in the crowd giving the signals to get no punishment, as they were just following orders.

This punishment is a joke, I don't care if they lose draft picks too.. That is meaningless. The message here is that it is worth it to try to cheat, just don't get caught.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

12. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (01-13-2020),dreghorntwo (01-13-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What could Manfred and baseball have done?
    Strip them of their championship. Make them take down the banner and return the rings.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

757690 (01-13-2020),Always Red (01-13-2020),Crumbley (01-13-2020),DocRed (01-13-2020),Edd Roush (01-13-2020),Larkin Fan (01-13-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),REDREAD (01-13-2020),Reds360 (01-13-2020),Rojo Rijo (01-13-2020),Roy Tucker (01-13-2020),texasdave (01-13-2020)

Pretty stiff penalties for the first time MLB has had to deal with an issue like this. If this proves to be a non deterrent then they could go with harsher ones like lifetime bans and maybe even stripping of a title. Lets see how this one works first.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

17. Likes:

North (01-13-2020),RedsBaron (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Completely agree. The use of technology to cheat hurts the integrity of the game.
    All involved should be banned from front office and managing jobs for life.
    I do agree, the players should not be penalized, just manager, GM. I would even allow the guys in the crowd giving the signals to get no punishment, as they were just following orders.

This punishment is a joke, I don't care if they lose draft picks too.. That is meaningless. The message here is that it is worth it to try to cheat, just don't get caught.
    I don’t agree the players should not be punished. They knew better.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

DocRed (01-13-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Also, I'm in favor of setting a rule that allows all teams to do this now. Take the element of unfairness out of it entirely.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I bet if you canvassed 100 people including you, you'd be the only person who didn't think this was a significant penalty.

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-13-2020),mbgrayson (01-13-2020)

It puts them at a slight disadvantage going forward, but they already have a championship caliber MLB team, and a rich farm system. They will be competitive for years, even with these loses.
    It's definitely going to hurt down the line when their core players today all leave via free agency. Yes, they could still draft really well and come away with gems outside of the Top 100 picks, but it'll make it a hell of a lot harder.

Besides, what really can MLB do? It would be very difficult for a number of reasons to punish the players and it is a harsher punishment suspension-wise than what many were apparently expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t agree the players should not be punished. They knew better.
    Yes, but the player is supposed to do what the manager tells them.
    There was an example of a player in the post season that was accidentally positioned wrong defensively.
    The player said he knew he was in the wrong spot, but it's his job to do what he is told and not question the manager. (Did not happen this year, many years ago).

A player who fought the cheat order or went public with it (before hard proof) could have his career permanently damaged or be black balled.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

25. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-13-2020),NebraskaRed (01-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?