Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year

MLB could contract them. That would be the ultimate penalty.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, but the player is supposed to do what the manager tells them.
    There was an example of a player in the post season that was accidentally positioned wrong defensively.
    The player said he knew he was in the wrong spot, but it's his job to do what he is told and not question the manager. (Did not happen this year, many years ago).

A player who fought the cheat order or went public with it (before hard proof) could have his career permanently damaged or be black balled.
    Yes, and you still couldn't prove that a player did anything even after being told to. How do you prove that they listened to the banging and altered their approach to the AB?

5. Likes:

REDREAD (01-13-2020)

"Discipline for Red Sox manager Alex Cora is coming and is going to be harsh, sources told ESPN."

Sounding more and more like Cora was the mastermind behind the plan. Could be the reason Hinch and Luhnow only got 1 year.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),Ron Madden (01-13-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I bet if you canvassed 100 people including you, you'd be the only person who didn't think this was a significant penalty.
    Eh that’s not really true, other parts of the internet are filling their diapers over this not being nearly enough. I don’t really think it’s all that significant myself.

9. Likes:

DocRed (01-13-2020),dreghorntwo (01-13-2020)

Is Cora going to get permabanned?

11. Likes:

DocRed (01-13-2020)

NM

I bet if you canvassed 100 people including you, you'd be the only person who didn't think this was a significant penalty.
    It’s significant.

It’s just not enough.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

DocRed (01-13-2020),dreghorntwo (01-13-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),REDREAD (01-13-2020)

Wow Cora is screwed. MLB network says investigation showed Cora was the the mastermind in the scheme.

“Cora was involved in developing both the banging scheme and utilizing the replay review room to decode and transmit signs.” The league also said Cora “participated in both schemes, and through his active participation, implicitly condoned the players’ conduct.”

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...htmode%3Dfalse
    Last edited by DocRed; 01-13-2020 at 02:35 PM.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (01-13-2020)

I think this is a fairly significant penalty, however, part of me wonders if a Landis style lifetime ban would have been more appropriate.

Sometimes you have to drop the hammer down so hard that it serves as a "forever deterrent" for another team to even think about orchestrating a similar scheme.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),REDREAD (01-13-2020),RedsfaninMT (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Along with MLB not wanting to get into with the players' union, how do you prove that a player benefited from this? it can be obvious that they did, but how do you prove it?
    How do you prove a player benefits from corking his bat?

I mean if all (players, coaches, other employees) were involved in breaking the rules here, shouldn't they all be punished, benefit proven or not?

I suspect the answer to why the players aren't punished is the union, not the fact that it can't be proven the players benefited.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Strip them of their championship. Make them take down the banner and return the rings.
    I find the idea of stripping championships silly. The games have been played, you know who won and lost, and then years after the fact you are going to vacate a championship? Are we going to name the Dodgers 2017 WS Champs? Do they get to have a parade in LA?

The NCAA loves to vacate wins, but the reality is, it has no effect. Sure schools may not be able to hang a banner, coaches get wins stripped from their record, but the game happened, the coaches got paid, they got bonuses, and any effect is purely a dent to their pride.

If we are making the players return the rings, we are taking down banners, should we make everyone send back their WS Champs merch?

Honest question, was the use of technology illegal? Its kinda like the entire steroid discussion from the 90's, PED's were not illegal in the game of baseball. Put an asterix by the 2017 title, tell the story of the cheating, but to strip the title and pretend like it didn't happen, I can't buy that.

21. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-13-2020),HeatherC1212 (01-13-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    MLB could contract them. That would be the ultimate penalty.
    Force them back into the rainbow jerseys from the 70’s.
    Go Gators!

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),REDREAD (01-13-2020),Slyder (01-15-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Definitely agree that vacating titles is a hollow gesture. Leave that stuff to the amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I find the idea of stripping championships silly. The games have been played, you know who won and lost, and then years after the fact you are going to vacate a championship? Are we going to name the Dodgers 2017 WS Champs? Do they get to have a parade in LA?

The NCAA loves to vacate wins, but the reality is, it has no effect. Sure schools may not be able to hang a banner, coaches get wins stripped from their record, but the game happened, the coaches got paid, they got bonuses, and any effect is purely a dent to their pride.

If we are making the players return the rings, we are taking down banners, should we make everyone send back their WS Champs merch?

Honest question, was the use of technology illegal? Its kinda like the entire steroid discussion from the 90's, PED's were not illegal in the game of baseball. Put an asterix by the 2017 title, tell the story of the cheating, but to strip the title and pretend like it didn't happen, I can't buy that.
    I'm curious here as well. I'm sure the answer is out there in plain sight. What rule was broken?

Include me too. This was a blatant, systematic, continued, knowing, and team-wide severe violation. This has to be brought to aN absolute screeching halt. Strip the WS win, forfeit the winnings, lifetime ban the manager and GM, strip 2 years of draft picks, and ban from post season play for 2 years. The symbolic severed heads on a pike outside Minute Maid Park. Let the buzzards peck out their eyeballs. That should send a message. This cannot be tolerated.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

27. Likes:

Always Red (01-13-2020),dreghorntwo (01-13-2020),REDREAD (01-13-2020),texasdave (01-13-2020),wheels (01-31-2020)

Turn Off Ads?