Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year

Players should be penalized IMO. MLB Network reports says Hinch broke the monitor's twice but the cheating continued.

Hinch 1 year is appropriate IMO seeing as he actually "tried" to stop it twice. Cora is screwed though and likely will get multiple years if not perm-banned though as the mastermind who continued to cheat even after Hinch's monitor breaking.
    Last edited by DocRed; 01-13-2020 at 02:41 PM.

2. Likes:

Always Red (01-13-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Include me too. This was a blatant, systematic, continued, knowing, and team-wide severe violation. This has to be brought to aN absolute screeching halt. Strip the WS win, forfeit the winnings, lifetime ban the manager and GM, strip 2 years of draft picks, and ban from post season play for 2 years. The symbolic severed heads on a pike outside Minute Maid Park. Let the buzzards peck out their eyeballs. That should send a message. This cannot be tolerated.
    I want more as well. I don't mind the one year for Hinch/Luhnow, but you have to spread the punishment around a bit more.

If another manager concocts some cheating scheme, I want the players to end it because they know it is wrong and they will be punished, not go along with it.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I also think it’s extremely funny they found a way to throw Taubman under the bus for this, though I can’t see how he could possibly have actually involved with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Players should be penalized IMO. MLB Network reports says Hinch broke the monitor's twice but the cheating continued.
    Do you mind elaborating what this means here?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I find the idea of stripping championships silly. The games have been played, you know who won and lost, and then years after the fact you are going to vacate a championship? Are we going to name the Dodgers 2017 WS Champs? Do they get to have a parade in LA?

The NCAA loves to vacate wins, but the reality is, it has no effect. Sure schools may not be able to hang a banner, coaches get wins stripped from their record, but the game happened, the coaches got paid, they got bonuses, and any effect is purely a dent to their pride.

If we are making the players return the rings, we are taking down banners, should we make everyone send back their WS Champs merch?

Honest question, was the use of technology illegal? Its kinda like the entire steroid discussion from the 90's, PED's were not illegal in the game of baseball. Put an asterix by the 2017 title, tell the story of the cheating, but to strip the title and pretend like it didn't happen, I can't buy that.
    I like the idea of taking the banner down. It might not seem that significant but I think keeping it up would act as a symbol of justification and they don't deserve that.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post

Hinch 1 year is appropriate IMO seeing as he actually "tried" to stop it twice. Cora is screwed though and likely will get multiple years if not perm-banned though as the mastermind who continued to cheat even after Hinch's monitor breaking.
    Oooooh how noble of Hinch. He probably unplugged them too.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    In his statement to commish office, he stated he physically broke the monitor on two separate occasions to get the players to quit cheating. That said, theyd just get a new one and keep going and he (apparently) gave up on policing the action because winning.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Force them back into the rainbow jerseys from the 70’s.
    Nah, make them play in the Astrodome for a season with no air conditioning.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

Mitri (01-13-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020)

I think putting out the message that if any other team tries this or something like it a life time ban will be forthcoming.. Otherwise it's saying nothing.. This "punishment" isn't like arguing balls and strikes. It really did smack right at the integrity of the game itself. After all, if MLB isn't going to protect the game integrity there's little reason to not find other methods to cheat. If the only thing a manager has to fear is a year off and a few draft picks after they've already been paid millions and millions it's kind of like suspending an untruly child who doesn't want to be in school in the first place or worse, a $10 fine to a billionaire for driving too fast in traffic. This so called punishment is about the same as demanding a stick of gum from the team's profits.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    From the MLB report AJ Hinch physically broke the monitor they were using twice in disapproval of the scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I like the idea of taking the banner down. It might not seem that significant but I think keeping it up would act as a symbol of justification and they don't deserve that.
    I might grin if they had to do that, but in terms of considering what a suitable punishment is, the banners and title don't come up on my radar. Petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I think this is a fairly significant penalty, however, part of me wonders if a Landis style lifetime ban would have been more appropriate.

Sometimes you have to drop the hammer down so hard that it serves as a "forever deterrent" for another team to even think about orchestrating a similar scheme.

Per MLB Trade Rumors.

"As far as Hinch is concerned, Manfred indicates in his report that the manager was aware but not supportive of the trash-can system. That system, it seems, was largely put into place by Cora and newly hired Mets skipper Carlos Beltran. Hinch, according to the league’s investigation, actually expressed frustration with the operation and damaged the hallway monitor to the point of needing replacement on two occasions, but he also never brought the issue to the attention of Luhnow or anyone in the Commissioner’s Office. “As the person with responsibility for managing his players and coaches, there simply is no justification for Hinch’s failure to act,” the report reads."

I think the penalties are fair considering how neither Hinch nor Luhnow didn't put the system into place; as it was determined the players came up with it. Granted, they turned a blind eye to the situation, and for that, they were punished. If not for the player's Union, I think a few players would see more severe penalties.

That said, if Cora doesn't get 5 years to life, then I'll be disappointed in MLB. In reality, Beltran should be punished severely as well. The hope is that even if Cora doesn't get a lifetime ban-- he is so toxic that no MLB would risk hiring him in any capacity again. A lifetime ban would be the correct punishment IMO.

17. Likes:

DocRed (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    Per MLB Trade Rumors.

"As far as Hinch is concerned, Manfred indicates in his report that the manager was aware but not supportive of the trash-can system. That system, it seems, was largely put into place by Cora and newly hired Mets skipper Carlos Beltran. Hinch, according to the league’s investigation, actually expressed frustration with the operation and damaged the hallway monitor to the point of needing replacement on two occasions, but he also never brought the issue to the attention of Luhnow or anyone in the Commissioner’s Office. “As the person with responsibility for managing his players and coaches, there simply is no justification for Hinch’s failure to act,” the report reads."

I think the penalties are fair considering how neither Hinch nor Luhnow didn't put the system into place; as it was determined the players came up with it. Granted, they turned a blind eye to the situation, and for that, they were punished. If not for the player's Union, I think a few players would see more severe penalties.

That said, if Cora doesn't get 5 years to life, then I'll be disappointed in MLB. In reality, Beltran should be punished severely as well. The hope is that even if Cora doesn't get a lifetime ban-- he is so toxic that no MLB would risk hiring him in any capacity again. A lifetime ban would be the correct punishment IMO.
    The fact that Cora did the same thing in Boston warrants a lifetime ban IMO.

19. Likes:

Always Red (01-13-2020),KYExtemper (01-15-2020)

"Witnesses consistently describe this new scheme as player-driven ... with the exception of Cora." Sorry but it sucks that the players got away with this and it serves as no deterrent in the future for players to be involved.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...98249467699206

21. Likes:

wlf WV (01-13-2020)

If I'm the Mets, I think hard about voiding Beltran's contract.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?