Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ah, the ol “just following orders”

Nah, they knew better, should have blown the whistle.
    That line didn't work in Nuremberg either

2. Likes:

KYExtemper (01-15-2020),RedTeamGo! (01-13-2020),TRF (01-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

See I don’t view this as too horrible for the Astros as a team. They have the players. They will be fine.

FWIW the Astros were scheduled to pick dead last in the 2020 draft so it's not like they lose a top of the draft pick or anything.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (01-13-2020)

They call me "chef"

I have to imagine that MLB is sensitive about changing the optics of this from an Astros coaching/front office problem to an MLB problem. Punishing players could be seen as admitting that your stars and talent and biggest commodities are cheaters instead of a few bad apples in less glamorous front office and coaching roles.

8. Likes:

kaldaniels (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think a post-season playoff ban of some length has teeth. The MLB bowl game ban.
    The MLBPA would never go for that. It would probably be bad for the entire game. You have a team that is playing a meaningless season, they are going to tank, and tank hard.

10. Likes:

DocRed (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    See I don’t view this as too horrible for the Astros as a team. They have the players. They will be fine.
    Yeah it's a blackeye for sure, it degrades their World Series championship, but firing Luhnow and Hinch should give them the chance to turn the page pretty quickly.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The MLBPA would never go for that. It would probably be bad for the entire game. You have a team that is playing a meaningless season, they are going to tank, and tank hard.
    Yeah, but they lose their first and second round draft pick for the following season so tanking gets them nothing.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-14-2020)

God bless Trevor Bauer as he takes his victory lap over Hinch on Twitter.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-14-2020),RedTeamGo! (01-13-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I asked a buddy of mine who's a professional gambler in Vegas about the prospect of gamblers who lost money betting the 2017 and 2018 WS suing baseball or the Astros or Red Sox. This is his reply:

I [don't] recall betting individual games but am pretty sure I bet Over / Unders as opposed to a side, I typically stick to Totals in the playoffs. Be interesting though, wouldn't know who to sue though, can't imagine a gambler having any standing in court because they lost, haha, there isn't a lot of sympathy for gamblers who lose and cry about it. But it's an interesting thought.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 01-13-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah it's a blackeye for sure, it degrades their World Series championship, but firing Luhnow and Hinch should give them the chance to turn the page pretty quickly.
    The MLBN roundtable of “experts” just seems perplexed on how they will proceed.

Not that big of a deal that Hinch and Luhnow were fired.

The Astros were going to have others in their place this year, why not make that permanent starting now? It’s not like Hinch and Luhnow would be welcomed back with open arms next season. That reunion would be rough.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

DocRed (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The MLBN roundtable of “experts” just seems perplexed on how they will proceed.
    Not like Luhnow even did anything of note this offseason. Seems pretty easy to slide in some new guys and keep things humming.

They kind of need to hire outside of the organization though, right?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Not like Luhnow even did anything of note this offseason. Seems pretty easy to slide in some new guys and keep things humming.

They kind of need to hire outside of the organization though, right?
    If they don’t it’s a terrible look and frankly asking for trouble.

Roundtable “Maybe MLB needs to appoint someone temporarily”. Jeez.

That MLB Network roundtable was embarrassing. I am guessing they don't want to upset MLB brass too much, and bite the hands that feed them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

23. Likes:

DocRed (01-13-2020),kaldaniels (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That MLB Network roundtable was embarrassing. I am guessing they don't want to upset MLB brass too much, and bite the hands that feed them.
    Conflict of interest is a bear.

You can just see them thinking if whether or not what they are saying pleases their corporate overlords.

Turn Off Ads?