Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zach Cozart DFA

Re: Zach Cozart DFA

Dave Concepcion is tanned, rested and ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-14-2020),DocRed (01-14-2020),westofyou (01-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Really don’t get the big deal if the Reds bring this guy in on a minor league show me deal to be a backup infielder. Big whoop.

5. Likes:

Sparky (01-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyVet View Post
    Yeah, like Senzel-Winker and Wood?
    Wood is back with the Dodgers. If you have an issue with them keeping Senzel and Winker due to injury history, which is a valid point of discussion, then why bring in one more often injured player who is probably near the end of his career?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

DocRed (01-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Wood is back with the Dodgers. If you have an issue with them keeping Senzel and Winker due to injury history, which is a valid point of discussion, then why bring in one more often injured player who is probably near the end of his career?
    Nostalgia

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-14-2020),CySeymour (01-14-2020),DocRed (01-15-2020)

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it for me. Cozart was a genuinely good hitter in 2017 and wasn't half bad the two seasons before that either, that it was with the Reds doesn't especially matter to me. I'd take a guy like that on a minor league deal to see if he's healthy and has something left. Why not?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-14-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),Sparky (01-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Nostalgia has nothing to do with it for me. Cozart was a genuinely good hitter in 2017 and wasn't half bad the two seasons before that either, that it was with the Reds doesn't especially matter to me. I'd take a guy like that on a minor league deal to see if he's healthy and has something left. Why not?
    I'm only half-joking with my posts in this thread. I don't think a minor league invite hurts anyone. My only worry is that Cozart would have a pretty good spring and the Reds do what they often do which is assume that spring training performance = regular season performance.

I'm fine with the idea of a minor league deal, but I think he's done. He could never stay healthy and he's been horrible since leaving Cincinnati.

14. Likes:

DocRed (01-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Reds do what they often do which is assume that spring training performance = regular season performance.
    I think those days are behind us, thankfully. It didn't seem to factor in either of the last two seasons and seems unlikely to for a year where they intend to stay in the race like 2020.

For the record, I also think he's probably done. Shoulder injuries are no bueno. But a look couldn't hurt.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-14-2020),Griffey012 (01-14-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think those days are behind us, thankfully. It didn't seem to factor in either of the last two seasons and seems unlikely to for a year where they intend to stay in the race like 2020.

For the record, I also think he's probably done. Shoulder injuries are no bueno. But a look couldn't hurt.
    And from Cozart's side of the table, Cincinnati is probably one of the most interesting options available. A potential playoff team with nothing but questions at shortstop in a place where his family is comfortable.

Again, it doesn't make sense to guarantee a roster spot or any money, but I think it is worth adding another option.

Code:
    SEASON
    2010-2019
    SS
    AGE >= 34

GAMES                         YEAR          G   
    1    Jimmy Rollins            2013        153   Phillies
    2    Derek Jeter              2010        151   Yankees
    3    Alex Gonzalez            2011        149   Braves
    4    Derek Jeter              2012        135   Yankees
    5    Jimmy Rollins            2015        134   Dodgers
    6    Marco Scutaro            2010        132   Red Sox
    7    Jimmy Rollins            2014        131   Phillies
    8    Derek Jeter              2014        130   Yankees
    9    Alexei Ramirez           2016        127   Padres/Rays
    10   Derek Jeter              2011        122   Yankees

Not sure there is anything Cozart could “show me” in ST that would allow him to make the roster.

He simply gets hurt too often.

I want durable players for this “winning” season. Reds have had enough injury woes.

No matter what Zach looks like in ST, same decision. Doesn’t change the recent history or my expectation.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-14-2020 at 06:04 PM.

20. Likes:

DocRed (01-15-2020),marcshoe (01-15-2020)

What would it hurt to bring him into camp for a tryout?

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-15-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    What would it hurt to bring him into camp for a tryout?
    It would take space from a player who might actually make a positive contribution. Cozart is done.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

24. Likes:

DocRed (01-15-2020),Ron Madden (01-14-2020)

I think they are going to have to bring someone in that can play short to back up Galvis between now and camp. If Cozart becomes a FA and be signed for the minimum I would be all for bringing him in.

I'd rather give Alex Bladino a chance as the backup SS

27. Likes:

Chip R (01-15-2020),CySeymour (01-15-2020),DocRed (01-15-2020),WrongVerb (01-15-2020)

Turn Off Ads?