Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams

Dick Williams

Does anyone else feel he is large part of the reason for the Reds disaster of a rebuild. This guy has no background in Baseball, in any form. And yet he just keeps ascending the ranks. And I do realize he is the son of a minority owner, but come on.

He is a finance man running operations of a baseball team. But he puts on a great show but sure does not deliver.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dick Williams

I would put the blame for how the rebuild turned out on Walt Jocketty. I was skeptical at first, but I think Williams (and Krall) has done enough to stay out of my dog house.

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-14-2020),Edd Roush (01-14-2020),Griffey012 (01-13-2020),ochoa30 (01-14-2020),OhioRiverBarge (01-13-2020),RedlegJake (01-14-2020),WrongVerb (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    Does anyone else feel he is large part of the reason for the Reds disaster of a rebuild. This guy has no background in Baseball, in any form. And yet he just keeps ascending the ranks. And I do realize he is the son of a minority owner, but come on.

He is a finance man running operations of a baseball team. But he puts on a great show but sure does not deliver.
    The answer is yes, some people feel the same way. But they are wrong. He’s moving the franchise into the 21st century. He took over an organization that was well behind the times. He has worked in baseball for 14 years now, it’s not like he doesn’t know anything about baseball. I’ll take that combined with an impressive finance background over a guy who has been in baseball for 30 years, those guys don’t think they have anything to learn, and don’t typically think outside the box. DW and company is catching the Reds up on out of the box thinking.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 01-13-2020 at 11:02 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

7. Likes:

Larkin90 (01-16-2020),Norm Chortleton (01-14-2020),Number_Fourteen (01-14-2020),RedlegJake (01-14-2020),Ron Madden (01-13-2020),savafan (01-14-2020),Stingray (06-22-2020),wolfboy (01-14-2020)

He still bangs

Jocketty was at the helm when Chapman, Frazier, Bruce, and Cueto were dealt. That was the core of the rebuild.

Williams has brought the reds into the 21st century re: tech, coaching, and international presence. He also completely revamped scouting and development, which was very clearly the Reds worst area.

It’s way too early for a verdict on Williams. He was given a truck of lemons, and he’s made a little lemonade so far.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Jocketty was at the helm when Chapman, Frazier, Bruce, and Cueto were dealt. That was the core of the rebuild.

Williams has brought the reds into the 21st century re: tech, coaching, and international presence. He also completely revamped scouting and development, which was very clearly the Reds worst area.

It’s way too early for a verdict on Williams. He was given a truck of lemons, and he’s made a little lemonade so far.
    That truly is why I think he is a poser. The Reds have the worst player development in the league. You can bean count all you like but eventually you have to recognize talent, that mlb ready, but also talent that needs developing.

Last year hurt this team. They gave away too much talent for one-year of service. If they still had a farm system, Lindor would be a Red !!!!

10. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2020)

I think Williams at this stage is an eye-of-the-beholder scenario.

I can certainly understand where the original poster is coming from. The Reds have been fairly aggressive over the course of the past two seasons, and they've got 75 wins and a roster with a lot of talent and a significant number of question marks. To my mind, the farm is pretty barren right now as well. If this is all-in - and it kinda looks like it is - it's a bit underwhelming.

That said, they have spent some money and cashed in some chips but not like the big market teams do. There was no Rendon or Cole to be had for Williams. They don't have the resources to make the big splash or enact a major overhaul. Any talent builds are going to be more methodical and strategic. I always think of a Brewers' offseasons as good examples; some canny pickups that fill needs.

There's a chance this could be one of the better teams in the NL this year. The pitching is there. There are some holes in the offense but a lot of upside as well. On the other hand, it's not hard to imagine how this goes wrong either. With Votto's contract and pitcher free agency, I would think this is our best chance for the foreseeable future. Surely, the success or failure will fall on Williams' shoulders, but even if it's mildly disappointing, I'd think the sweeping organizational changes have bought him another few years.

My opinion on Williams is TBD. Not enough evidence to make any concrete decisions. Appreciate the aggressiveness, though that could come back to bite him in the butt.

12. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-14-2020),Powder River (01-14-2020),REDREAD (06-22-2020)

That truly is why I think he is a poser. The Reds have the worst player development in the league. You can bean count all you like but eventually you have to recognize talent, that mlb ready, but also talent that needs developing.

Last year hurt this team. They gave away too much talent for one-year of service. If they still had a farm system, Lindor would be a Red !!!!
    Rome wasn't built in a day... The player development issue would clearly fall on the previous leadership group. Williams has recognized the organization's shortcomings in this area and has put a structure in place to correct this. The hiring on Boddy and the new coaching plans/expectations show me that he realized status quo wasn't getting it done. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work... But I can't help but be pleased with what Williams and company have attempted to implement.

14. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-14-2020),Ron Madden (01-27-2020),Stingray (06-22-2020),WrongVerb (01-14-2020)

I was very skeptical, when he was hired. Sense then, he has won me over. I don't agree with the Dodger trade at all, but overall I think he has done a great job. He has been working areas that the Reds never really tapped into. He's made some mistakes, but he's leaving no stone unturned.

I thought Walt was always a bad GM. You can point to the playoffs. I'll point to where those players came from. He just happened to be in charge when they came of age. He made trades that ruined the Reds talent pool.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-27-2020)

It’s easy to judge last year via hindsight sitting here today. But if you go back to when the trade with the Dodgers took place, I would make that trade ten times out of ten. No one could know that Puig would have his worst six weeks of his career beginning on opening day, nor would anyone expect Alex Wood to spend two-thirds of the season on the disabled list. If Wood is healthy, the pitching staff gets a huge boost and possibly Wood resigns here in Cincy. The two prospects given up were both blocked at the time by better players, who ended up injured.

Even the trade for Bauer was a good deal ... until Bauer couldn’t put up his normal career numbers.

Not sure any of that could have been forseen.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

18. Likes:

Frank Robinson (01-14-2020),Old school 1983 (01-15-2020),Powder River (01-15-2020),Ron Madden (01-27-2020)

I'm so glad we can have this thread again. It is an entirely new perspective filled with ideas that definitely don't get expressed in literally every single thread in which his named is mentioned.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

20. Likes:

CySeymour (01-14-2020),Edd Roush (01-14-2020),Griffey012 (01-14-2020),Larkin Fan (01-15-2020),Ron Madden (01-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post

Honestly, Jocketty gets way more blame than he deserves. He could only do what ownership allowed (or forced) him to do. The biggest issue the last decade has been Castellini directly inserting himself in baseball decisions.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 01-14-2020 at 03:21 PM.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm so glad we can have this thread again. It is an entirely new perspective filled with ideas that definitely don't get expressed in literally every single thread in which his named is mentioned.
    You could, you know, just ignore the thread.

There are many a thread that I find to be stupid and/or repetitive. I just pass on them, as opposed to bringing some grumpy old man energy to the conversation. I'd advise you do the same.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2020),Sea Ray (01-15-2020),texasdave (01-14-2020)

the Reds disaster of a rebuild
    I'd say this season will tell us if this rebuild was actually a disaster.

26. Likes:

BillDoran (01-15-2020),Kilgore_Trout (01-15-2020)

If this thread says anything, it's that people don't know Dick.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Kind of impossible to say. So far, I’d argue more light than heat. But it’s on balance been more decent than just plain bad. I’m not going to let decent be the enemy of good. Or whatever that cliche is.

Turn Off Ads?