Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Changes Stance making Shoeless Joe Jackson ineligible for Hall of Fame

MLB Changes Stance making Shoeless Joe Jackson ineligible for Hall of Fame

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...banned-players

Major League Baseball has shifted its view of deceased players who have been banned for life, a group that includes "Shoeless" Joe Jackson and the seven other Chicago White Sox players prohibited from playing professional baseball in 1921 for fixing the 1919 World Series.

A senior MLB source told ESPN that the league has no hold on banned players after they die because the ineligible list bars players from privileges that include a job with a major league club.

"From our perspective, the purpose of the ineligible list is a practical matter," the source told ESPN. "It's used to prevent someone from working in the game. When a person on the ineligible list passes away, he's unable to work in the game. And so for all practical purposes, we don't consider a review of the status of anyone who has passed away."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Changes Stance making Shoeless Joe Jackson ineligible for Hall of Fame

Am I the only one but doesn't this sound like an Onion article?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

blumj (01-17-2020),Danny Serafini (01-17-2020),KYExtemper (01-19-2020),North (01-18-2020),Number_Fourteen (01-17-2020),Old school 1983 (01-18-2020),reds77 (01-17-2020),RedsfaninMT (01-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Am I the only one but doesn't this sound like an Onion article?
    Yes, because it makes too much sense for MLB to make such a sensible decision on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Some of you just aren't cut out to follow baseball. You can't live and die second-guessing every decision for 162 games

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-17-2020),Old school 1983 (01-18-2020),RedlegJake (01-17-2020)

The title is worded weirdly. The change makes them eligible. Title makes it seem otherwise.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I think it makes total sense. I’m rather incredulous that MLB is possibly going to do this. The banning of ineligible players from the Hall is petty and vindictive and small minded. Time for MLB to get over it. I’m frankly amazed.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-18-2020),Number_Fourteen (01-18-2020),Powder River (01-18-2020),SunDeck (01-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think it makes total sense. I’m rather incredulous that MLB is possibly going to do this. The banning of ineligible players from the Hall is petty and vindictive and small minded. Time for MLB to get over it. I’m frankly amazed.
    Yes, it does make perfect sense. It should be inherently obvious in its name -- a lifetime ban ends when the life ends.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (01-21-2020),mth123 (01-18-2020),Number_Fourteen (01-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I thought the banning from the Hall of Fame was a Cooperstown decision, not an MLB decision. The HOF is owned by a third party with their own rules.

13. Likes:

westofyou (01-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I thought the banning from the Hall of Fame was a Cooperstown decision, not an MLB decision. The HOF is owned by a third party with their own rules.
    You’re right. I had it backwards.

MLB said it consider ineligible players ineligible as long as they are alive.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Well I guess Joe, and eventually Pete, will be HOF-bound after all.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Well I guess Joe, and eventually Pete, will be HOF-bound after all.
    This is MLB spiking the ball on Pete, where they're effectively telling him he can get in, but not while he's still drawing breath on the planet.
    /r/reds

What would be funny is for Pete to fake his death and then when he is inducted at the ceremony to appear as he is announced.

18. Likes:

North (01-18-2020),RedsBaron (01-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    What would be funny is for Pete to fake his death and then when he is inducted at the ceremony to appear as he is announced.

But it wouldn't be right to sell autographs at the Hof ceremony...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    This is MLB spiking the ball on Pete, where they're effectively telling him he can get in, but not while he's still drawing breath on the planet.
    I've been arguing that exact solution for my entire time on this board.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Pete's no Andy Kaufman.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The HOF says “not so fast.”

https://es.pn/2R6CLGj

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    The HOF says “not so fast.”

https://es.pn/2R6CLGj
    I think the Hall is keeping this in the pocket in case attendance drops or whatever.

Then they'll say "this year Shoeless Joe is getting in" to get some publicity. They'll point to the deceased no longer being on the ineligible list. Tickets will be sold, they'll make money.

And then after some time, the same with Pete occurs.

Because their number one priority is money and publicity. Just like every other company.

Turn Off Ads?