Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds Sign RP Nate Jones to Minor Leage Deal

Re: Reds Sign RP Nate Jones to Minor Leage Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Probably looking for guaranteed money which would certainly be a risk for a guy who was shut down 9/17/19 with continued pain in his pitching elbow.

He is probably a better flyer than Jones or Thonburg, but he is definitely more expensive, too.

He regressed in a big way last year, and while his heater is still sitting where it was in 2017 when he was effective, 2018 he saw a surge in velocity that he was unable to maintain in 2019 and the pitch became ineffective. The slider is still nasty, and I think he could be a good reliever, but he isn't a lock to be effective in 2020.
    I didn't realize he ended the season shut down with elbow issues. As far as his stuff in 2019, I wonder how much of the regression is showing up due to him starting and relieving. His relief only numbers weren't to the level of 2018, but were still pretty good.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Aroyds Vizcaino,RHP

I've not read many comments on the decisions on selecting relief pitchers with the requirement of pitching to three batters and/or the ability to pitch and recover from two-innings. And then which pitchers need to be depended on to appear in hopelessly lost games. A relief pitcher who can go three innings every four days in losing games can have whatever ERA if he protects other relievers.

Turn Off Ads?