Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite/Least Favorite Reds Season?

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Reds Season?

Though they didn't win the Series, 1970 was my favorite season. Least was 1989 by a mile.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

On another note:

Favorite season by a Reds player

1977 - Foster

Least Favorite season

1982 - Householder

4. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-17-2020)

Favorite was 99. Team was just so much fun. Sean Casey breaking out and looking like the next Gwynn. Vaughn smashing 45 bombs. Larkin and Pokey up the middle. Boone breaking out at 3rd. My boy the meat hook.

Denny and his train whistle blowing stripper loving self. Graves and Williamson closing out games.

What a season.

6. Likes:

Chip R (01-16-2020),Old school 1983 (01-18-2020),Roy Tucker (01-17-2020)

Least favorite season by a Reds player was easily Willy Taveras in 2009. You guys thought I was gonna say Peraza
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Favorite..1990. It was just a fun team full of colorful characters.

Least favorite: 1994-1995. The strike and the aftermath just ruined the game for me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Favorite/Least Favorite Reds Season?

I started following in 77 when taken as a kid to my first game.

So 90 was my best lifetime season memory. I never expected them to beat the Bucs, much less the A’s. After 82-84, I never thought I’d see a playoff team again much less WS.

But for me, 1981 was tough as a kid: The strike, and then Reds had the best record overall but were out of the playoffs because of the split season. Thats when you learn early that even if you do your best, life is not fair. Foster and Griffey left and the BRM was now a like a hunk of rusted sheetmetal propped up on cinder blocks.

Anyone still remember that stupid Best Record 1981” banner in Riverfront in the years that followed? Good times.... :-/

10. Likes:

1thru5 (01-19-2020),cumberlandreds (01-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    I started following in 77 when taken as a kid to my first game.

So 90 was my best lifetime season memory. I never expected them to beat the Bucs, much less the A’s. After 82-84, I never thought I’d see a playoff team again much less WS.

But for me, 1981 was tough as a kid: The strike, and then Reds had the best record overall but were out of the playoffs because of the split season. Thats when you learn early that even if you do your best, life is not fair. Foster and Griffey left and the BRM was now a like a hunk of rusted sheetmetal propped up on cinder blocks.

Anyone still remember that stupid Best Record 1981” banner in Riverfront in the years that followed? Good times.... :-/
    I have a picture of the banner being displayed on the field

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-16-2020)

favorite season

when mike oberry played he was Brobdinagean

most favorite - 1961 "my" first pennant
    most exciting and disappointing - 1964 followed closely by 1999
    most bitter can't accept it - 1981
    least favorite - 1982 followed closely by 1989...that whole decade sucked
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-16-2020),Ron Madden (01-16-2020),Roy Tucker (01-17-2020),texasdave (01-15-2020)

Least favorite, the year every person realizes that it's a business.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-16-2020),RedlegJake (01-15-2020)

Most favorite: 1961- team came out of nowhere. loved Pinson, mvp Robby, Lynch in the pinch, Jay , The professor. Really loved Bill Henry, particularly when he ended games by striking out Matthews with the tying run in scoring position. Then Brosnan wrote a good book about it.

least favorite- 2013. incredible underachievers. quit on the season down the stretch and then were just embarrassed in the wild card game. Really had high hopes for that team after the trade for Choo.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 01-15-2020 at 10:14 PM.

19. Likes:

RedlegJake (01-15-2020),Ron Madden (01-16-2020)

Favorite was definitely 1990. I was a little kid in the 70s so it didn't mean as much.

A few seasons for me.

2012 hasn’t been mentioned much. An awesome season and 2 games into the playoffs, I thought the Reds were a shoo in to the World Series. But a Cueto injury, a Rolen error, and a Latos meltdown screwed that. But I’d never experienced a game in person like that Game 5.

1999 hasn’t been mentioned much either. A nail biter of a season that was brought to an end by a lousy weekend in Milwaukee and then Al Leiter. But an unexpectedly good year. With 20-20 hindsight, I think they should have stayed put instead of the Griffey trade.

1975. The Reds has developed a losing habit in the ‘70 and ‘72 World Series and the collapse of Game 6 made me think here we go again. A team tear down loomed if so. But an epic Game 7 win in Boston sealed the deal.

1964 Reds. They hang in there the whole season and get sucked into the vortex of an epic Phillies collapse along with the Cardinals. But John Tsitouris can’t deliver in game 162 and that was that. A 12 year old Roy is introduced to the lot of a baseball fan and heart is broken for the first (but not last) time. That’s a long damn time ago now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-16-2020),Ron Madden (01-16-2020)

I can't believe I am the first one to say 1975 was my favorite. Best World Series ever.

1981 was devastating for me. The strike was painful every day to not have baseball. Then when they came back and decided to have the split season I was pissed right away. I was 15 years old and I knew it was a BS setup before they even played a game in the second half.

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-16-2020),RED VAN HOT (01-17-2020)

Well now I see Roy just beat me with 1975.

Turn Off Ads?