Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Brock Holt

Reds interested in Brock Holt

Per Bobby Nightengale, cited here on MLBTR.

This move would make all kinds of sense with what we know about how Dick and Nick are constructing the roster, and with what we know about how Bell likes positional versatility.
    Last edited by RedEye; 01-17-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brock Holt

“Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Damn you!

mods please delete.

Re: Reds interested in Brock Holt

I'd like signing Holt as the utility man, but it's the type of move I'd like to see come AFTER signing or trading for another notable bat.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

KYExtemper (01-20-2020),Spike (01-17-2020),WVRedsFan (01-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick O View Post
    Damn you!

mods please delete.
    Threads Moiged................
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He would be a nice add for the Reds...a truly versatile player (originally a middle infielder) who can play strong defense at multiple positions all over the field (not to be confused with guys who are put at different positions, some of which they can't actually play). However, I am not sure the Reds are the best fit for him unless he just can't find a job. The Reds don't figure to have many opportunities to play for a guy like this. Suarez and Moustakas both are true everyday guys. The outfield is pretty full. Some people were telling me the Reds wanted to re-sign Peraza (at a lower salary) after they non-tendered him, but it was pointed out to me that there was no way Peraza would sign with the Reds because he knew he would never get on the field. He didn't. Seems somewhat similar.

One guy definitely hoping they do not sign him is Josh Van Meter. There is a big difference in salary between major league minimum and the $82,000 per year that a second-year 40-man guy makes in Triple-A.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-18-2020),REDREAD (01-20-2020)

Hoping to change my username to 75769023

12. Likes:

NC Reds (01-17-2020),Sabo Fan (01-17-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-18-2020)

I like Holt, but this doesn’t make much sense to me unless the team acquires a top tier SS and Galvis is sent out in a deal as well.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'd like signing Holt as the utility man, but it's the type of move I'd like to see come AFTER signing or trading for another notable bat.
    Yeah not exactly the type of move I was hoping for when I saw Dicks comments the other day. He’s a nice bench piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I like Holt, but this doesn’t make much sense to me unless the team acquires a top tier SS and Galvis is sent out in a deal as well.
    He’s a good utility guy that gets on base. Something every team could use.

I don’t think we get Lindor, but I’d bet someone $50 Galvis isn’t our opening day SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    It makes perfect sense if Galvis is the starter as well...... which he currently is (and seemingly more and more each day, will be).

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    He would be a nice add for the Reds...a truly versatile player (originally a middle infielder) who can play strong defense at multiple positions all over the field (not to be confused with guys who are put at different positions, some of which they can't actually play). However, I am not sure the Reds are the best fit for him unless he just can't find a job. The Reds don't figure to have many opportunities to play for a guy like this. Suarez and Moustakas both are true everyday guys. The outfield is pretty full. Some people were telling me the Reds wanted to re-sign Peraza (at a lower salary) after they non-tendered him, but it was pointed out to me that there was no way Peraza would sign with the Reds because he knew he would never get on the field. He didn't. Seems somewhat similar.

One guy definitely hoping they do not sign him is Josh Van Meter. There is a big difference in salary between major league minimum and the $82,000 per year that a second-year 40-man guy makes in Triple-A.
    Van Meter was the first person I thought about when reading this. I don't think both would make the OD roster even with a 26th roster spot available.

If my AL Ox aren't going to pay him I hope this happens I don't want to have to root against this guy
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

20. Likes:

North (01-17-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm not sure the order really matters, as signing Holt doesn't preclude a signing of a bigger bat.

And why would Holt simply wait for the Reds to make a bigger move first. he could easily be gone by then.

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?