Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reds interested in Brock Holt

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Reds interested in Brock Holt

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He gets on base.
    True. But JVM has more pop.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    True. But JVM has more pop.
    The Reds have plenty of all or nothing hitters already getting a bunch of PAs (Aquino, Moose, Galvis). They need guys who can get on base. Holt is also a better defender. The only guys who can compare from an on base standpoint are Suarez, Winker and hopefully still Votto, but I'm a skeptic with Joey.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If the price is right, he’s an upgrade over JVM. He can play short (though probably not full time) and has a more well-rounded approach at the plate. JVM has options, no? He can be stashed or traded, let’s jot throw him away. But Holt is a better option for MI bench guy.

5. Likes:

mth123 (01-19-2020)

The last couple of seasons, Holt's been an 800+ OPS bat against RH pitchers.

He's a decent lineup replacement at almost any position for almost any player who gets injured or needs a day off, he also is a good pinch hitter, he hasn't played CF for a while probably because the Sox starting corner OFs have been good CF options, and their DH wants to play OF.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

8. Likes:

Frank Robinson (01-19-2020)

Holt made almost $3.6 million last year. His main positions are 2B, 3B, LF and RF. He has played very little shortstop, so he is at best a stop gap there. Been on the DL nine times in the last five years. Can't see where this helps much. Pass.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

10. Likes:

malcontent (01-20-2020),Ron Madden (01-20-2020)

Holt played 153 innings at short in 2018. 398 innings there over his MLB career. He’s a stop gap at short, but has experience there.

As Reds are currently built - OF has no stars but good depth. IF has several stars but minimal depth.

If Moose or Suarez go down with injury they are in trouble. Bell already expressed that he wants Senzel in CF to continue to learn there.

So Reds need a solid backup infielder who can hit. Holt is a good choice IMO even if he’s only a stop gap at short.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-20-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Holt played 153 innings at short in 2018. 398 innings there over his MLB career. He’s a stop gap at short, but has experience there.

As Reds are currently built - OF has no stars but good depth. IF has several stars but minimal depth.

If Moose or Suarez go down with injury they are in trouble. Bell already expressed that he wants Senzel in CF to continue to learn there.

So Reds need a solid backup infielder who can hit. Holt is a good choice IMO even if he’s only a stop gap at short.
    Really hope they get this done. As you point out there is a vulnerability in the event of an injury in the infield. They'd be dependent on VanMeter or Blandino. Holt would really stabilize the bench. I wonder how hard he'll be to sign if he's looking for a platoon opportunity where he can get 300-400 Ab's. Hard to see him getting 300-400 in Cincinnati if everyone is healthy. Wonder if they would promise him a couple starts per week at SS?

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-20-2020)

I've never seen a fanbase so afraid of having too many good players. The team has been terrible. They were one of the worst offenses in baseball last year. They added one bat who is mostly another all power guy and a guy from Japan who has never played an inning at the big league level. There is plenty of room for a guy with a .360 OBP in over 600 PAs in the AL East the last two years. Whose spot are we so afraid he's going to take exactly?

He's an option as the LH half of a platoon in LF if Winker ends up hurt again. He's the same option in RF if Aquino crashes and burns. He can play 2B and 3B when those guys sit. He can play when Votto sits (which should be at least once per week IMO) with Moose sliding over to 1B. He'll be the primary PH and come in for double switches where he gets a couple PAs in the game. And yes, some one has to play SS when Galvis sits. The team has 10 DH games. He'll easily get 300 PAs.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-20-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-21-2020),Old school 1983 (01-20-2020),Playadlc (01-20-2020),RedlegJake (01-20-2020)

I for one am hoping that this deal can get done. He's a high OBP. guy that plays multiple positions and yes can be average at ss if need be. I think he can be a guy that gets @200 ab per year while keeping other guys fresh(Votto. Moose, Winker, Suarez) I think he could be that guy that starts somewhere at least once a week. It also allows us the option to explore trading for bullpen help using guys like Ervin, JVM as additional pieces.

I'm still wondering if Mark Payton finds a spot in the OF with his lifetime .286 BA in the minor leagues.. I have no idea if his AAA credentials will translate to the big leagues, but if it does that's a pretty potent bat to have in LF not to mention his 30 HRs last year even if they were in the PCL with the juiced balls..

From Rosenthal Twitter

Free-agent infielder Brock Holt in agreement with #Brewers, pending physical, source tells The Athletic.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I'm not sure you need much more than a stopgap backup SS. Never trade a bat for a glove. Take the better bat that can give you a start every other week (once a week at most). Galvis is a switch-hitter who (if healthy) likely won't need to be spelled that often early season with all the off dates. Stash a SS candidate (Colon?) in case you need someone to step up on a daily basis. Don't like that? Go out and deal for a starter/bench upgrade. Not that fond of Blandino and there's not natural SS in the organization I want near the 26-man unless it's a dire emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From Rosenthal Twitter

Free-agent infielder Brock Holt in agreement with #Brewers, pending physical, source tells The Athletic.
    i see the brewers are ignoring pitching again. hey, it's worked for them recently, but that luck is about to run out imo. they just do not invest nearly enough in pitching.

"Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?