Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone remember claude sullivan or jim mcintyre broadcasters

Re: anyone remember claude sullivan or jim mcintyre broadcasters

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I can safely say you missed it. The poofy haired, pink shirt wearing fella was no Archie Bunker
    I was nine years old, and I had never seen a picture of Marty & Joe.

I did have the loud and abrasive part down, though.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 01-20-2020 at 05:33 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If anything else semi-major is going to happen this offseason, I believe it will happen this week or early next. ST is coming on fast and I think the FO will want to get anything big done before players head to Goodyear, to avoid disruptions.

I also have a feeling that a major move may well be connected to one (or more) other deals.

The first team I remember was Al Michaels and Joe. But I was pretty young. Marty was so different back in the Seventies and Eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When McIntyre and Joe Nuxhall were paired up, they were “Jim and Joe on the radio”. Item ember that tag line.

IIRC, Claude Sullivan took over play by play after Waite Hoyt retired but then he died of cancer within a year or two.
    You are correct.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    I started following the Reds in 1968 so Jim and Joe on the radio is my first exposure to Reds radio broadcasting. And Jim's home run call: High and to deep to left, It might be, it could be, IT IS!. And that's also when Joe started shouting in the background "Get out, get out, get out".

1969, double header against the Braves, Lee May was on a roll and hit 2 homers the night before. Hit 2 in the first game(the first a grand slam) and 2 in the 2nd game. I remember how it seemed like he hit 10 of em that day and how Jim and Joe in the background were having a lot of fun.
    https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july...s-doubleheader
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-20-2020),foster15 (01-21-2020),Ron Madden (01-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The first team I remember was Al Michaels and Joe. But I was pretty young. Marty was so different back in the Seventies and Eighties.
    I listened to this game from 1978 the other day, really good listen. Joe is at his peak and Marty is crisp and on point. One thing you notice is that nobody but Morgan works the count

https://youtu.be/bUgr1q1pizU

9. Likes:

Falls City Beer (01-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I listened to this game from 1978 the other day, really good listen. Joe is at his peak and Marty is crisp and on point. One thing you notice is that nobody but Morgan works the count

https://youtu.be/bUgr1q1pizU
    I always hold my fire when it comes to Marty. I know he’s the epicenter of evil on here but no one called a better game in his prime.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-21-2020),HokieRed (01-21-2020),Roy Tucker (01-20-2020)

knepper was pitching

don werner and dale murray some of the best reds along with junior kennedy

I remember thinking Joe was half toasted drinking beer throughout the games. His voice sounded like a drunk to me as a kid, but as i grew up a bit it didn't sound like that so much. Maybe it had to do more with my neighbor at the time who sat on his front porch getting wasted than anything Joe ever did. but I do recall the beer commercials so perhaps the Burger beer commercials had some influence on how my ear heard things at 5 years old..
    It's funny how our childish brains interpret things. I can recall clear as if it were yesterday sitting in an auditorium beside my folks listening to some kid sing, "I saw mommy kidding Santa Clause.." thinking to myself, "That's because YOUR mom's a tramp! My mom would only kiss my dad!" In my little 6 year old brain I couldn't even imagine my mother kissing some fat guy in a red suit..it didn't speak much for Santa Clause either for that matter...sneaking into houses at night kissing strange women.. What a cad! LOL Christmas was never the same for me..
    Last edited by allpurpose; 01-21-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    My biggest memory of Claude Sullivan is that I listened to him calling the Texas Western -Kentucky championship game on the radio in 1966. I think he was the Wildcats regular announcer.
    A few years ago ESPN showed that game with Sullivan's broadcast dubbed in. They totally mis-labled who the announcer was. I forget who they had but it was Sullivan doing the broadcast.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Also here's a biography of Sullivan written by his son. I got this book a few years ago and it was good.

https://www.amazon.com/Voice-Wildcat...ustomerReviews
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Sullivan was just before my time of being a sports fan. I do know he was an extremely popular broadcaster for UK sports for many years. UK, in fact, kept two sets of announcing teams because of their popularity. The other being Cawood Ledford.
    That's interesting The University of Iowa used to do that with their football games and maybe even for their basketball games too. For a while they had three sets of announcers. I wonder how common that was/is among colleges?

Also, on this date in 1974, Marty was hired by the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's interesting The University of Iowa used to do that with their football games and maybe even for their basketball games too. For a while they had three sets of announcers. I wonder how common that was/is among colleges?

Also, on this date in 1974, Marty was hired by the Reds.
    That may have been common during that time. That was around the time when colleges started giving exclusive right to certain radio groups to broadcast games. Before the 60's most schools, like UK, didn't give out exclusive rights and just about anyone could broadcast the games. I'm sure a lot of schools had two or more broadcast teams that were popular to their fans and they just kept them both until one retired or moved on like Sullivan did. When I read the book about Sullivan,IIRC,he gave a up UK football when he got the Reds job but kept basketball through the 1966 season. Back then it didn't conflict with baseball season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

20. Likes:

Chip R (01-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    That was July 15 1969 my 16th birthday and my parents took me to those games and yes Lee May jacked two homeruns in each game.After the second one in game two they decked poor Tommy Helms.
    I remember that day clearly. Family was going to our community pool that day. Before we left the house, he hit the grand slam. While I was laying in sun at the pool he hit the 2nd one. On our way home in the car he hit the 3rd one and as we sat down for dinner he hit the 4th one.
    Last edited by foster15; 01-21-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Turn Off Ads?