• RHSP Mac Sceroler

0 0%
  • RF Andy Sugilio

0 0%
  • IF Rylan Thomas

0 0%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

1 2.44%

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #19 Prospect??? (and #20 evidently)

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #19 Prospect??? (and #20 evidently)

IF'er Ivan Johnson has taken the #18 slot.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

I've added OF'er Fidel Castro to the poll, since he was selected as an "other" selection in the previous poll.

(RF) Fidel Castro - The Reds signed Castro as an International Free Agent in May 2016 ($unk bonus - INT (Dominican Republic)). The left handed hitting outfielder hit .292 - .362 - .514 as a 20 year old in 43 games (190 PA's) at the AZL level during the 2019 season. A fine line but that was with a .430 BAbip and also came with a 34% K/PA rate and below average defensive stats.

^If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

***THIS IS A 96 HOUR POLL***
    Last edited by Kinsm; 01-19-2020 at 11:18 PM.

2. Likes:

Z-Fly (01-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #19 Prospect???

Went with Naughton, if only because I think he'll see improvement by working with Boddy that could wind up with him in a major league roster. But I'm not psyched about any of the players who are left.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Went with Naughton, if only because I think he'll see improvement by working with Boddy that could wind up with him in a major league roster. But I'm not psyched about any of the players who are left.
    I was back and forth between Naughton and Antone, but pulled the trigger on Antone since he has had a little more success at AA (granted he has had more chances since he is 3+ years older). Also, I believe that Boddy called Antone out by name as a guy he was excited to work with. Antone is just a little bit closer to the majors and I am hoping the .402 BABIP against was bad luck rather than serving up meat balls given that he had not been ever hit that hard in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I was back and forth between Naughton and Antone, but pulled the trigger on Antone since he has had a little more success at AA (granted he has had more chances since he is 3+ years older). Also, I believe that Boddy called Antone out by name as a guy he was excited to work with. Antone is just a little bit closer to the majors and I am hoping the .402 BABIP against was bad luck rather than serving up meat balls given that he had not been ever hit that hard in the past.
    Voted Hendrix, but seriously considered Antone. Consistent high ground ball rate gives him a good chance to have a major league career of some sorts, I suspect. I wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute this year.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Voted Hendrix, but seriously considered Antone. Consistent high ground ball rate gives him a good chance to have a major league career of some sorts, I suspect. I wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute this year.
    I would say it is about a 20% chance we see Antone in Cincy this year. He will likely be the 7th or 8th starter on OD behind Mahle and maybe De Leon. Romano could also be ahead of him, but he has to pass through waivers to get to Louisville.

I think Antone's real chance is going to be 2021 when DeSclafani and Bauer may not around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I really like a few of the guys left.

Acosta, we've discussed. I think his bat and speed are both tools that bear watching.

Fidel Castro is another guy a long, long way from the majors, but he's put up significant numbers for two years now. His overall line in 150 games, is .266/ .364/ .458/ .822. That includes his first foray into professional ball in which he struggled mightily. I have no clue about his defense, but he has a good arm, as evidenced by 5 assists in 330 innings last season in RF and a whopping 23 (!) in just under 1000 games at the position over his career. He has some swing and miss to his game, but he's moving in the right direction. He's at least one to watch.

Wendell Marrero had a phenomenal debut after being drafted in the 11th round last year out of Puerto Rico. 10% BB rate and a 25% K rate. Lots of pop for an 18-year-old in 2019 and a hit tool that looks fun to follow. He's a corner guy, but a 152 wRC+? That'll play. He's young and is likely ticketed for Billings, but might sneak into Dayton if he can show he's ready. At any rate, he's more than just a guy.

Please add Noah Davis.

Easiest pick in a while for me, Hendrix.

I've seen enough #6 starters in the past 10 years who resemble Antone and Naughton to dissuade me from selecting them.

I can see Hendrix in the Reds bullpen by season's end.

El Presidente till he gets ranked.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Next poll might be up an hour or two later than normal today, we'll see how the night goes.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Please add Noah Davis.
    I did not know much about him but appears promising from Doug's writeup. It sounds like Noah gets a good ark on his slider and works well when the count is 2 by 2.
    https://redsminorleagues.com/2019/11...ct-noah-davis/
    Last edited by klw; 01-23-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Turn Off Ads?