Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeter and Walker inducted to Hall of Fame

Re: Jeter and Walker inducted to Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bonds / Clemens is a no-brainer... don't @ me
    I agree. The best hitter and pitcher of my time.

I just think there will be a contingent of media folks who won’t want (can’t stand the thought of) Curt waltzing in alone.

2. Likes:

Always Red (01-22-2020),Edd Roush (01-22-2020),Ironman92 (01-22-2020),westofyou (01-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

That lone non-voter for Jeter is sitting at home looking at himself in the mirror and so priding himself for being a renegade and “bucking the system.”

Then he will go back into the kitchen, open his microwave dinner all alone in his disheveled apartment and mourn his existence wondering why his life didn’t turn out like Derek Jeter.

There is simply no logical reason, even for a non-Yankee fan to withhold a vote. Must have been a Boston writer...

5. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    That lone non-voter for Jeter is sitting at home looking at himself in the mirror and so priding himself for being a renegade and “bucking the system.”

Then he will go back into the kitchen, open his microwave dinner all alone in his disheveled apartment and mourn his existence wondering why his life didn’t turn out like Derek Jeter.

There is simply no logical reason, even for a non-Yankee fan to withhold a vote. Must have been a Boston writer...
    Could have been a strategic omission to vote for 10 others.

Regardless I don’t care. 2nd best % ever.

7. Likes:

Always Red (01-22-2020),RedsBaron (01-22-2020),westofyou (01-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Could have been a strategic omission to vote for 10 others.
    That at least is a plausible alternative I suppose, but I’m a cynic and I’d wager there is something else to it...

Three people didn't vote for Junior in his ballot

Fact is (IMO) who cares?

Perfection is an illusion and opinions are subjective

10. Likes:

Chip R (01-22-2020),Crumbley (01-22-2020),Mitri (01-22-2020),Number_Fourteen (01-22-2020),WrongVerb (01-22-2020),Yachtzee (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    I can't see the lone non-voter staying anonymous for long. Whoever made the conscious decision to be a non-conformist doesn't care about popular opinion... like a terrorist taking credit for random acts of violence, this had to have been somebody who wanted to be forever known as the party responsible.

Either that, or some disenchanted Marlins' beat writer covertly wielding every tool in his box to stick it to his boss.
    Or somebody wanted to use their vote to keep somebody else on the ballot deserving of consideration they're not currently getting.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

kaldaniels (01-22-2020),RedsBaron (01-22-2020),westofyou (01-22-2020),Yachtzee (01-22-2020)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I concur that the difference between "unanimous" and "overwhelming" first-ballot hall-of-famer is essentially zero, unless you are a silly person. It's something I'll enjoy joking about for a while, but it's also not a hill I care to die on.

At the same time, it's a difference that I thought got even smaller last year, after Mariano finally got to be unanimous. There are just as many equally worthy unanimous choices who came before Mariano as came before Jeter, but who didn't get that honor, because sports writers are sometimes giant loads. But we broke the seal, and now that we're beyond the silly distinction, the one person who decides to insist upon STILL making the now obsolete distinction is REALLY silly.

Which is why I will enjoy my period of making jokes about whoever it is. Before forgetting about it and just enjoying the ceremony and Jeter's place in history come July.

14. Likes:

North (01-22-2020),REDREAD (01-22-2020)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I bet the anonymous non-Jeter voter will stay anonymous. Perhaps a member of the Miami media who’s bent about his dumpster fire performance as Marlins executive. Maybe somebody game-theorying the system to vote for another 10 guys.

Glad Abreu stays on the ballot. I have him as a hall of famer. I think all the first year guys besides him and Jeter fall off the ballot. Glad Walker got in
    Stick to your guns.

16. Likes:

M2 (01-22-2020),RedsBaron (01-22-2020)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Amazing to me that Walker is the first Hall of Famer to play at least one game for the Colorado Rockies. I figured they’d had at least one HOFer pass through town like Wade Boggs in Tampa
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Or somebody wanted to use their vote to keep somebody else on the ballot deserving of consideration they're not currently getting.
    That would be perfectly fine, but it's more likely some curmudgeon who blanked the ballot just voted for Jeff Kent.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Why do people have to decide fault down to the atomic level these days!

20. Likes:

westofyou (01-22-2020),WrongVerb (01-22-2020)

Maybe the lone voter who didn't vote for Jeter never received their gift bag? But I digress.........

Congrats to both. I don't have a problem with either one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

barry larkin and derek jeter were very similar players. extremely similar when you look at the numbers.

yet, jeter is treated like he's mike trout, while barry larkin is treated, well ... like barry larkin. which is fine. but i just always thought jeter was slightly overrated.

it's obviously because he played for the yankees and won all those titles, and was clutch in the playoffs. i get it. i'm just saying he's no better than larkin, who never got 1/10th the amount of hype.

23. Likes:

Larkin Fan (01-22-2020),Rdirtypirates (01-22-2020),REDREAD (01-22-2020),redsfandan (01-22-2020),RedsfaninMT (01-22-2020),savafan (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Today in 1953 Joe D. was not voted in on his first try.

- - - Updated - - -

Bonds / Clemens is a no-brainer... don't @ me
    They were HOF players before they enhanced, so was ARod and Manny.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    barry larkin and derek jeter were very similar players. extremely similar when you look at the numbers.

yet, jeter is treated like he's mike trout, while barry larkin is treated, well ... like barry larkin. which is fine. but i just always thought jeter was slightly overrated.

it's obviously because he played for the yankees and won all those titles, and was clutch in the playoffs. i get it. i'm just saying he's no better than larkin, who never got 1/10th the amount of hype.
    Derek Jeter had 1000 more hits than Larkin

Turn Off Ads?