Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jeter and Walker inducted to Hall of Fame

Re: Jeter and Walker inducted to Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Derek Jeter had 1000 more hits than Larkin
    mostly because larkin went to college while jeter made the bigs at like 20 years old. and then the reds for some reason initially thought kurt stillwell was going to be their shortstop of the future, until larkin quickly made it clear he was the much better option. while they were actually playing major league baseball, larkin and jeter are very close comps.

larkin's career ops = .815

jeter's career ops = .817

larkin was a better defensive shortstop than jeter imo.

very similar players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bonds and Clemens not going in yet is a travesty of epic proportions

Yeah, Jeter had more hits partly because his average was a little better (.310 compared to .295) but mostly because he played in more games. Jeter had 3465 hits in 12,602 plate appearances while Larkin had 2340 hits in 9,057 plate appearances.

Their offensive numbers are pretty similar :

.377 obp, .440 slg, .817 ops, 115 ops+

.371 obp, .444 slg, .815 ops, 116 ops+

Also, while Jeter had almost 40% more plate appearances in his career he only had 2 more career war (72.4 to 70.4) because Larkin was a much better defensive player.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-22-2020 at 09:13 AM.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-22-2020),JFLegal (01-22-2020),texasdave (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Bonds and Clemens not going in yet is a travesty of epic proportions
    My take on guys like Bonds, Clemens, etc is that it would be more appropriate for their HOF fate to be decided by the Veterans Committee. That committee isn't made up of ONLY sportswriters but also includes Hall of Famers, executives, baseball historians, along with media members. Three years ago the Today's Game Era Committee (the veterans committee that votes on players from 1988–present) included HOFers Roberto Alomar, Andre Dawson, Dennis Eckersley, Ozzie Smith, Don Sutton, Frank Thomas, Pat Gillick, and Bobby Cox among the 16 voters. Last year it included Roberto Alomar, Bert Blyleven, Greg Maddux, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith, John Schuerholz, Pat Gillick, Tony La Russa, and Joe Torre. Letting guys that are already in the HOF (especially players) have a vote makes more sense to me for players like Bonds, Clemens, etc. If current HOFers are ok with them being inducted then that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Yeah, Jeter had more hits partly because his average was a little better (.310 compared to .295) but mostly because he played in more games. Jeter had 3465 hits in 12,602 plate appearances while Larkin had 2340 hits in 9,057 plate appearances.

Their offensive numbers are pretty similar :

.377 obp, .440 slg, .817 ops, 115 ops+

.371 obp, .444 slg, .815 ops, 116 ops+

Also, while Jeter had almost 40% more plate appearances in his career he only had 2 more career war (72.4 to 70.4) because Larkin was a much better defensive player.
    remarkably similar players.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Could have been a strategic omission to vote for 10 others.

Regardless I don’t care. 2nd best % ever.
    let's be honest: derek jeter having the second best % of hall of fame votes of all time is absurd. it is akin to saying that jeter is the second-best player in baseball history.

my goodness was he overrated. very good, but overrated nonetheless. people are actually upset he wasn't a unanimous selection. why? why does he deserve the mantle of best baseball player of all time? it's frankly ridiculous imo.

9. Likes:

George Anderson (01-26-2020),Gunner44 (01-22-2020),texasdave (01-22-2020),Tuff Nut (01-22-2020)

Larkin was as good if not better than Jeter, and got just 51.6% of the votes in his first shot at the hall. Jeter misses being unanimous by 1 vote, and people are complaining. LOL.

11. Likes:

JFLegal (01-22-2020),Revering4Blue (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    remarkably similar players.
    Except that he was a bad fielder. The joke in NY after Arod came to the team was that Jeter wasn't even the best shortstop on the team, let alone the league.

13. Likes:

George Anderson (01-26-2020),JFLegal (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I agree. The best hitter and pitcher of my time.
    Well, except for Pedro. Before Roger roided up in Toronto, his last few years were pedestrian. His nickname was "Fat Rog".

15. Likes:

redsfandan (01-22-2020),Revering4Blue (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, except for Pedro. Before Roger roided up in Toronto, his last few years were pedestrian. His nickname was "Fat Rog".
    I'd definitely take Pedro over Clemens.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Pedro is in my all-time starting rotation.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

Chip R (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Larkin was as good if not better than Jeter, and got just 51.6% of the votes in his first shot at the hall. Jeter misses being unanimous by 1 vote, and people are complaining. LOL.
    I agree, it's laughable, but also easily explained by geography. Jeter played in New York and thus it will be a story.

20. Likes:

texasdave (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Pedro’s peak beats Clemens (and everyone else) but overall it’s Fat Rog for me.

randy johnson at his peak was the best pitcher of that generation, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Pedro is in my all-time starting rotation.
    There is a worthy thread, poll, discussion for RedsZone in this post. I'd be interested in seeing a RedsZone all-time MLB team debate. Example of a possible discussion, would Bench run away as the starting catcher since this is a Reds site or would any posters advocate for someone like Ivan Rodriguez?

Turn Off Ads?