Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Castellanos

Re: Reds interested in Castellanos

Man I gotta say Castellanos annoyed the crap
    Out of me as a Cub but hypocritically I’m sure I’d love that edge he has with a change of laundry....I loved Dietrich last year always wondering how I’d feel about him if he was wearing a different jersey

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by GADawg; 01-23-2020 at 12:05 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    Would a:
    LF Castellanos
    CF: Shogo/Ervin platoon(ish)
    RF: Aquino/Winker platoon
    1B: Votto
    2B: Senzel
    SS: Suarez
    3B: Moose

Lineup hit enough to make up for the lack of defense? Probably not, but it would be fun to watch lol
    With only these players in consideration I would rather see either Senzel or Moose playing SS than Suarez...

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-23-2020)

Haunted by walks

Looks like the Reds are putting together an all-outfield lineup, with Lorenzen pitching and Senzel, who has shown he can take on a new position, catching.

I would think if the Reds were going to play someone at short it would be the guy who actually came up as a shortstop and played shortstop at the major league level. I am not advocating for a change but it seems to me that Moose and Senzel can both play 2nd and 3rd. Neither one has played short. Suarez has played short.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Looks like the Reds are putting together an all-outfield lineup, with Lorenzen pitching and Senzel, who has shown he can take on a new position, catching.
    Just put together an extreme flyball pitching staff and stuff everyone out in the outfield. Just straight up 7 guys out there.

8. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-23-2020)

Lets say the Reds do sign Castellanos to a multi year deal, say 4-75. Add that to the multi year deal they have for Shogo and that is one crowded OF.

I'd be ok with it if the Reds had an idea that RF belongs to X. Doesn't matter who X is, so long as they identify the right guy for them to make that OF work.

Then go after Wander Franco. Offer up Senzel, Mahle, India and another piece. And I know I'll get the "that's a huge overpay" reaction, but SS is the missing piece here and the Reds don't really have one in the pipeline other than Garcia. Those three meet the criteria TB loves: young, cheap, controllable. Many are saying Franco might be ready right now, and he crushed A and A+ last year. MLB.com has his ETA as next year, but challenge thy hitters. He could be a Tatis Jr.

I say go for broke.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (01-23-2020)

If Winker is on the move as the centerpiece for a SS, this could make sense. Put Castellanos in LF, Senzel in CF, and platoon Shogo/Aquino in RF. That might actually be a more favorable defensive alignment than what they have today. If Aquino looks great in limited opportunities and/or Senzel struggles, Shogo can take on more CF duties.

Exactly none of Nick Senzel, Eugenio Suarez or Mike Moustakas are playing SS. If the Reds sign Castellanos, the SS is still Freddy Galvis.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-23-2020),Chip R (01-23-2020),OesterPoster (01-23-2020),WrongVerb (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Lets say the Reds do sign Castellanos to a multi year deal, say 4-75. Add that to the multi year deal they have for Shogo and that is one crowded OF.

I'd be ok with it if the Reds had an idea that RF belongs to X. Doesn't matter who X is, so long as they identify the right guy for them to make that OF work.

Then go after Wander Franco. Offer up Senzel, Mahle, India and another piece. And I know I'll get the "that's a huge overpay" reaction, but SS is the missing piece here and the Reds don't really have one in the pipeline other than Garcia. Those three meet the criteria TB loves: young, cheap, controllable. Many are saying Franco might be ready right now, and he crushed A and A+ last year. MLB.com has his ETA as next year, but challenge thy hitters. He could be a Tatis Jr.

I say go for broke.
    You aren't getting Franco for that group. I'd be all over it if you could, but I imagine he is about as untouchable as they come.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

15. Likes:

Tribe Guy (01-23-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Exactly none of Nick Senzel, Eugenio Suarez or Mike Moustakas are playing SS. If the Reds sign Castellanos, the SS is still Freddy Galvis.
    Dan Szymborski agrees with me that the Reds should at least explore the possibility of Senzel at short. I still think it is plausible and maximizes Senzel's value.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-zip...ncinnati-reds/

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

If the people paid to make those decisions had determined that Nick Senzel could effectively play shortstop at the major league level, he'd be the shortstop today.

No amount of wishful thinking is going to change the fact that today he is not considered a shortstop by the people that matter.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

Chip R (01-23-2020),M2 (01-23-2020),NebraskaRed (01-23-2020),OesterPoster (01-23-2020),RedsManRick (01-23-2020),TRF (01-23-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Even if he could play it, I would still be extremely hesitant to move Senzel to yet another new position to have him learn. I’d rather him get settled in at one place so he can settled in there, and more importantly, not have it tank his hitting.

20. Likes:

The Operator (01-23-2020)

People have suggested, "if they sign Castellanos, then it's time go trade some of the OF depth for a SS." Beyond our Lindor dreams, who would be realistic targets at SS that be could acquired and constitute an upgrade over Galvis?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    People have suggested, "if they sign Castellanos, then it's time go trade some of the OF depth for a SS." Beyond our Lindor dreams, who would be realistic targets at SS that be could acquired and constitute an upgrade over Galvis?
    There have been a lot of names rumored this off-season. Javier Baez, Trevor Story, Marcus Semien, and Corey Seager are probably the best of the rest discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Corey Seager
    Trevor Story
    Marcus Semien

Turn Off Ads?