Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Castellanos

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Reds interested in Castellanos

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It was a meandering point i was making, true. Franco was declared the top overall prospect 2 years in a row. I was told in this thread he was UNTOUCHABLE. Because top prospect. Buxton was given that same designation. And I was told 0.6 WAR chronically injured and mediocre fielder now with NO POSITION was an overpay for a guy that has won a GG, was a top 20 vote getter for MVP and just posted a 3.1 WAR season despite having over 100 FEWER PA's than said superstar Nick Senzel.

My point is simple: get better players. Wander Franco fits that bill, and TB loves getting 2 things: anything that keeps their payroll down, and teams that throw talent at them. I don't see a spot for Senzel on the Reds. I also see no spot on the reds for India.

My proposal was Mahle, India, Senzel, Garcia and one of Santillan, Winker, Ervin, Callihan, Hinds for Wander Franco. If the Reds signed Castellanos, I see almost no reason not to overpay to get Franco. I also see TB looking hard at that and thinking they might have to pull the trigger and say yes, because they can then flip their OF glut for more prospects, keep their payroll down and still probably compete in the AL East.

But hey... feel free to put me on ignore if my posts bother you and Mr Wonderful that much.
    Your framing of Senzel’s value is disingenuous and stupid, and that’s the last thing I have to say about this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It was a meandering point i was making, true. Franco was declared the top overall prospect 2 years in a row. I was told in this thread he was UNTOUCHABLE. Because top prospect. Buxton was given that same designation. And I was told 0.6 WAR chronically injured and mediocre fielder now with NO POSITION was an overpay for a guy that has won a GG, was a top 20 vote getter for MVP and just posted a 3.1 WAR season despite having over 100 FEWER PA's than said superstar Nick Senzel.
    Franco may not be the SS this year, but he will probably be ready to go next year and if we sign Castellanos, your proposed trade wouldn’t give up anything we need this year. Franco will be a star and I would make that trade.

My point is simple: get better players. Wander Franco fits that bill, and TB loves getting 2 things: anything that keeps their payroll down, and teams that throw talent at them. I don't see a spot for Senzel on the Reds. I also see no spot on the reds for India.

My proposal was Mahle, India, Senzel, Garcia and one of Santillan, Winker, Ervin, Callihan, Hinds for Wander Franco. If the Reds signed Castellanos, I see almost no reason not to overpay to get Franco. I also see TB looking hard at that and thinking they might have to pull the trigger and say yes, because they can then flip their OF glut for more prospects, keep their payroll down and still probably compete in the AL East.

But hey... feel free to put me on ignore if my posts bother you and Mr Wonderful that much.
    Franco will be a star. I would make that trade if we signed Castellanos. Wouldn’t be losing anything we need for this year and have our SS starting next year.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm curious as to whom will play SS for us in 2020 if the Franco trade actually goes through.
    Byron Buxton
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

5. Likes:

PuffyPig (01-24-2020)

I’m pretty sure that trading 5 guys (including 3 that will potentially be contributors at the MLB level in 2020) for an 18 year old SS in A ball is a good way to drive your franchise directly into the ground.

Back on topic, I do hope that the Reds aren’t done and that a potential Castellanos acquisition can be the catalyst for a trade that can help clarify the OF logjam.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Might just be me, but anytime I see a thread starting with, "Reds interested in....", I think, not happening, move along.
    shogo?

reds had to overpay for moose ... and they'll have to overpay for castellanos too.

and i'm perfectly fine with that because the reds are not giving up any prospects or draft picks. (also, because it's not my money.)

9. Likes:

The Operator (01-25-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Byron Buxton
    Right, I seem to forget that anyone can play SS now because of shifting.

Shifting is the best invention since the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Likes:

MikeS21 (01-24-2020),The Operator (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Right, I seem to forget that anyone can play SS now because of shifting.

Shifting is the best invention since the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lol! Maybe Winker ought to volunteer to move to SS. The shift will cover any defensive deficiencies he might have!
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

13. Likes:

M2 (01-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I for one, am not fixated on getting another power bat. The Cubs traded a 2017 first rounder and a 2018 second rounder for Castellanos at the deadline last year. They were 57-50 at the time. After the trade they went 27-28. Also, among the Reds' objectives this offseason was to improve outfield defense. I'd be fine with Holt alone.
    I favor signing Castellanos and trading from the OF surplus to shore up other areas. I’m very sympathetic to your concern about defense. But the Reds finished 12th of 15 NL teams in OPS last season which put too much burden on the pitchers. So many offensive failures, game after game, and a GABP team to boot.

My hope is Castellanos would improve in the OF, he hasn’t been an OFer too long.

Castellanos is the last major hitter in free agency and he doesn’t cost you talent, just money which Reds supposedly have available to spend. At this point, I’m rooting for Reds to sign him up.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-24-2020 at 11:38 PM.

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-24-2020),mth123 (01-25-2020),ochoa30 (01-25-2020),Old school 1983 (01-24-2020),Rdirtypirates (01-25-2020),reds77 (01-25-2020),The Operator (01-25-2020)

I for one, am not fixated on getting another power bat. The Cubs traded a 2017 first rounder and a 2018 second rounder for Castellanos at the deadline last year. They were 57-50 at the time. After the trade they went 27-28. Also, among the Reds' objectives this offseason was to improve outfield defense. I'd be fine with Holt alone.
    The Reds stopped going to the playoffs once they got rid of Ryan Hanigan.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

17. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (01-25-2020)

The three best homes for Castellanos

3) Reds

On paper, there's not an entirely obvious fit after the Reds signed outfielder Shogo Akiyama, because Jesse Winker, Aristides Aquino, and Nick Senzel are all also going to need playing time. Still, none of that stopped them from trying to sign Ozuna just a few days ago, before he chose the Braves.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman
    At least 1 of the multiyear offers for Ozuna came from the Reds, who are said to have made a spirited try for MO before he opted for Atlanta

That might mean they'd still make room for the somewhat similar Castellanos, and maybe that outfield glut isn't the problem it seems. After all, exactly none of the four outfielders we just named has had a full, productive, healthy Major League season. They all have Minor League options, and Cincinnati's lineup scored the sixth-fewest runs in baseball last year. Mike Moustakas alone isn't going to fix that. Let's not rule them out on this one yet.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/the-best-re...as-castellanos

So now we judge players on there team records. Look at the overall context, there pitching fell apart. Castellanos OPS was over a 1000 with the Cubs. He had nothing to do with there decline. I think I would take that.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 01-25-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    So now we judge players on there team records. Look at the overall context, there pitching fell apart. Castellanos OPS was over a 1000 with the Cubs. He had nothing to do with there decline. I think I would take that.
    That is a fair point. Blaming a decline in team performance on one player is highly questionable. Still, a player contributes to his team both offensively and defensively. Defensive contribution is harder to measure. A fly ball that falls for a base hit as opposed to an out affects pitching. Defense and pitching stats are related.

The Reds finished 7th in the league in HR's; 12th in runs, OBP, and OPS. My conclusion is that they were not getting as much out of their HR's as other teams. Putting more men on base seems to be at least as important as adding HR's.

GABP favors LH power. That was a clear need which was addressed by the addition of Moustakas. Shogo is also a LHH and will likely provide a moderate level of power.

Improving outfield defense was a stated goal by DW. The addition of Shogo addressed that. Adding Castellanos would hurt outfield defense. Further, it would add a RH bat possibly at the expense of a LH bat (Winker, if subsequently traded).

So now, it comes down to this: The addition of Castellanos would permit the Reds to make a trade to upgrade SS. It is probable from reports that the Reds have had SS trade discussions. We have speculated the parameters of such a trade in RZ, but we have no particular knowledge of what might have been discussed. I am suspicious that the asking price would involve Senzel, Lodolo or Garcia or a some combination of them. I would pass on that.

At this point, my preference is to leave the outfield as it is. Senzel becomes Aquino insurance. Obtain Holt as a well rounded, multi-position player capable of an occasional start at SS. The Reds would have an infield of players capable of playing multiple positions, even some infield/outfield switches. That is depth.

I fully understand that others prefer a strategy of Castellanos plus SS upgrade trade. I'm simply stating my preference.

21. Likes:

Mitri (01-25-2020),Rdirtypirates (01-25-2020),Revering4Blue (01-26-2020)

IMHO, one of the trades for a SS is just waiting for the signing of a FA bat for LF.

23. Likes:

#13 (01-25-2020),Frank Robinson (01-25-2020),JFLegal (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redinla View Post
    IMHO, one of the trades for a SS is just waiting for the signing of a FA bat for LF.
    I might be missing something but that’s all that makes sense to me too

Turn Off Ads?