Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Re: Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

There was no 24-hour news cycle back then, but I remember as a kid that the death of Roberto Clemente was a pretty big deal.

2. Likes:

GAC (01-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Terrible terrible terrible news.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I do not think either story is a fraction of the size of this story....like I said, I think it goes back to Earnhardt. Even people who were not big Nascar fans (like myself) recall how massive and shocking it was when he passed. He had reached to level of being a mainstream celebrity....and Kobe was that and more. Hernandez and Fernandez were unknown outside their sport, and neither were large stars within their sport.
    Hernandez was definitely a star in the NFL, but no neither of them were the kind of star that ended up bigger than the league they played in like Kobe. Though that murder case was definitely national news for quite a while after the story broke.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

It's now being reported that 9 people were on board, not 5.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

There is a video of the crash floating around on the internet. Shot by an onlooker.

Harrowing stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

The only video I've seen is one from middle east that erupts in big ball of flame. Not the Kobe Crash.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    There is a video of the crash floating around on the internet. Shot by an onlooker.

Harrowing stuff.
    Wow-yes it is. It's not a graphic, close up video, but it shows a helicopter totally out of control, upside down, spinning wildly. Tragic.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

There is going to be a TON of stories about how this breaking news came out/errors made etc...I'm sure we will come back to that later.

But why right now the lead at ESPN says "Sources say Kobe (and daughter - but it was just Kobe before that) died". Aren't we past the "sources" stage?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Wow-yes it is. It's not a graphic, close up video, but it shows a helicopter totally out of control, upside down, spinning wildly. Tragic.
    Not the Kobe video. There was dense fog at the time of the Kobe crash.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    There is going to be a TON of stories about how this breaking news came out/errors made etc...I'm sure we will come back to that later.

But why right now the lead at ESPN says "Sources say Kobe (and daughter - but it was just Kobe before that) died". Aren't we past the "sources" stage?
    Typically, news agencies wait until police have confirmed the deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Not the Kobe video. There was dense fog at the time of the Kobe crash.
    I’m sure that’s possible. Wouldn’t be the first time a video got misrepresented.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Couldn't believe it when I saw the news. Hard to imagine a sports giant dying so unexpectedly like this...only one that comes to mind is Dale Earnhardt. Cannot believe they played the games today...shoulda cancelled and let the players and fans grieve.

That his daughter was on the plane with him makes this even more awful. Can't even imagine what that family is going through.

Have read a lot on Kobe tonight. But what sticks out is how he was so close with so many of the veterans, while he was the Jordan so many of the younger players looked up to growing up. All across the board all these guys talk about how supportive he was of their games. He may have been a killer as a player, but he was anything but off the court. This Spencer Dinwiddie take is my fav. You can see how much weight his words carried for these players. Goodness.

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/1221615967291301888

Not enough being said about the rest of the people in the crash. Think I’ve maybe seen 4/5 people (not just on here) mention them. It’s a tragedy for everyone. It wasn’t just Kobe in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Couldn't believe it when I saw the news. Hard to imagine a sports giant dying so unexpectedly like this...only one that comes to mind is Dale Earnhardt. Cannot believe they played the games today...shoulda cancelled and let the players and fans grieve.

That his daughter was on the plane with him makes this even more awful. Can't even imagine what that family is going through.
    I don’t know about canceling games except maybe for the Lakers but they don’t play until Tuesday.

I just wish we didn’t live in the social media era where we get to see said players reaction to Kobe’s death. There was video of LeBron crying coming off a plane when he found out. I’ve seen another of Tim Duncan. Just let the players grieve without a camera in their face.

It’s a tragic loss of life but it’s compounded when children are involved. Kobe lived a short life but accomplished a lot both on and off the court.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?