Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Re: Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    There was no 24-hour news cycle back then, but I remember as a kid that the death of Roberto Clemente was a pretty big deal.
    And Thurman Munson too.

Just sad news.

I rode in a helicopter once. Didn't like it. Never again. Had a really unstable, unsafe feeling. Certainly different from flying.

Will be interesting to see what the investigation/report says. It seems he was told he was flying too low for radar to pick him up, and he was also navigating with help from controllers because of dense morning fog in a very hilly region.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-27-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

TMZ has some FAA info about him circling around trying to find a place to land. You're in a helicopter...... stay in one place.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Not enough being said about the rest of the people in the crash. Think I’ve maybe seen 4/5 people (not just on here) mention them. It’s a tragedy for everyone. It wasn’t just Kobe in there.
    There's a reason for that. They didn't release the names of the others until just a few mins ago. Here's who else were on the copter:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kobe-br...istina-mauser/

Also interesting to note that Kobe was not piloting it. The pilot was one of the ones killed.

Horrible judgment to even try to fly yesterday. Conditions were not safe. Fatal decision

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There's a reason for that. They didn't release the names of the others until just a few mins ago. Here's who else were on the copter:

Also interesting to note that Kobe was not piloting it. The pilot was one of the ones killed.

Horrible judgment to even try to fly yesterday. Conditions were not safe. Fatal decision
    I've seen some tweets that said the place where the game(s) were at was well within driving distance. That's just gut wrenching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Not enough being said about the rest of the people in the crash. Think I’ve maybe seen 4/5 people (not just on here) mention them. It’s a tragedy for everyone. It wasn’t just Kobe in there.
    Life lesson: Don't be this guy.

- - - Updated - - -

General aviation is a completely different animal indeed. Conditions not good.

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Jose Fernandez
    Jose Fernandez isn't even close in terms of impact like Earnhardt. Hernandez was closer but still not as close. Kobe has been retired so I don't think it's as big of a deal as Earnhardt dying on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've seen some tweets that said the place where the game(s) were at was well within driving distance. That's just gut wrenching.
    It'll be interesting to see if this is true as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if this is true as well.
    In LA it's not about the distance. It's about the traffic. I'm sure Kobe's not used to sitting in traffic

12. Likes:

Chip R (01-27-2020),dubc47834 (01-27-2020)

In LA it's not about the distance. It's about the traffic. I'm sure Kobe's not used to sitting in traffic
    Even at 9:00am on a Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Even at 9:00am on a Sunday?
    At 9am on a Sunday to go from south Orange County to Thousand Oaks is about 2 hours. It’s like 90 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    From what I've read, helicopter travel has been Kobe's preferred mode of transportation since his playing days. Travel time from his residence is most often in the hours by car, and as a player he felt the time stuck in a car was hard on his body. Probably just got used to the convenience of it, plus he can more than afford it. I totally get it.

16. Likes:

Chip R (01-27-2020)

And I just want to say that I've always hated the Lakers, don't even watch any NBA these days, but I always had respect for Kobe as a player. He reminded me so much of Jordan with his desire and motivation. With Kobe, it wasn't about himself, but about winning championships. I also had so much respect for what he was doing with his life and and fortunes after basketball, focusing on youth projects. He will be missed by so many, but I'm sure his work and legacy will live on and accomplish even more after his passing.

RIP #24

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    From what I've read, helicopter travel has been Kobe's preferred mode of transportation since his playing days. Travel time from his residence is most often in the hours by car, and as a player he felt the time stuck in a car was hard on his body. Probably just got used to the convenience of it, plus he can more than afford it. I totally get it.
    I get it too. I'm thinking skipping the game/practice due to weather would have been the best call here. Helicopters aren't the safest thing. Hospitals that use them have struggled with that reality. My thinking has always been: don't do anything that could potentially seriously damage your health 'cause when you lose it, you might never get it back. In this case I particularly feel that way since there were kids involved. From the sounds of it, he was advised not to use the helicopter. This is reminiscent of John John Kennedy and the day his plane went down. He was warned

In my opinion, ironic stuff concerning Kobe's tragic death:

3 days ago, JJ Redick passes Kobe on career 3's.

The night before the crash, Lebron passes Kobe on the all-time scoring list which was in Philly and where Kobe was raised.

Kobe sends out his last Tweet which was seen on National TV.

Then, the night of his death, the Grammy Awards are at the Staples Center where his career was played at.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Ask someone who lives in LA: never tell someone how far, tell them how long a drive.

Turn Off Ads?