Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Re: Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    From what I've read, helicopter travel has been Kobe's preferred mode of transportation since his playing days. Travel time from his residence is most often in the hours by car, and as a player he felt the time stuck in a car was hard on his body. Probably just got used to the convenience of it, plus he can more than afford it. I totally get it.
    Oh, I can't blame him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Oh, I can't blame him.
    Definitely two different lifestyles. A 2-hour drive for a basketball game isn't really that bad. But I guess when you have enough money, you can do things like this. But there are definitely more risks, as we've seen.

4. Likes:

Chip R (01-27-2020)

The Weather Channel is reporting that this particular 'copter did have a black box so that'll help in the investigation

Try thinking about how many trips he made in that helicopter over the course of his career and life, probably often times in bad weather. It was just another normal trip for him. Probably still safer than driving in LA traffic for hours a day, even in sketchy weather.

Nope, if the local police grounded their copters, Kobe had no business being up there.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Try thinking about how many trips he made in that helicopter over the course of his career and life, probably often times in bad weather. It was just another normal trip for him. Probably still safer than driving in LA traffic for hours a day, even in sketchy weather.
    Maybe? We don't know yet. For all we know, you could be right. You could be wrong. But I would bet on you being right because what 'normal' person is like: "Hey daddy, can we take your copter to practice today?" Very sad all around.

As you all know, I'm a boater, hence my title. If there are small craft warnings, I don't go out. I study the weather thoroughly when going out and that continues while I'm out. Similar caution needs to be used in flying machines. I hope this becomes a learning lesson for others and future lives will be saved.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (01-27-2020)

They call me "chef"

I have a family member who is a pilot and they canceled a planned flight due to weather that morning. It was incredibly foggy in parts of LA and surrounding areas.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (01-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I get it too. I'm thinking skipping the game/practice due to weather would have been the best call here. Helicopters aren't the safest thing. Hospitals that use them have struggled with that reality. My thinking has always been: don't do anything that could potentially seriously damage your health 'cause when you lose it, you might never get it back. In this case I particularly feel that way since there were kids involved. From the sounds of it, he was advised not to use the helicopter. This is reminiscent of John John Kennedy and the day his plane went down. He was warned
    I thought of John F. Kennedy Jr.'s plane crash when this story broke and hearing reports that Kobe was a pilot, with speculation that perhaps Kobe was the helicopter pilot yesterday. If I recall correctly JFK, Jr. had been warned not to fly and he wasn't qualified to fly in the conditions he went into to. However now that we know Kobe wasn't the pilot, it is surprising that a professional pilot ignored warnings and flew even though police helicopters were grounded, a tragic miscalculation.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

FWIW, air traffic control at Burbank Airport cleared them for take off. Needless to say, plenty of blame to go around.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

15. Likes:

Chip R (01-28-2020)

I was reading up on some aviation blogs today. Not going to go into many details (quite frankly because I don't understand a lot of the lingo) but it sounds more and more like pilot error or spatial orientation based on flight data we have. The term I heard a lot on these blogs was a case of "get-there-itis" which, if you google it, is a familiar aviation term for people who are simply trying to get some place as fast as they can even when conditions are dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I was reading up on some aviation blogs today. Not going to go into many details (quite frankly because I don't understand a lot of the lingo) but it sounds more and more like pilot error or spatial orientation based on flight data we have. The term I heard a lot on these blogs was a case of "get-there-itis" which, if you google it, is a familiar aviation term for people who are simply trying to get some place as fast as they can even when conditions are dangerous.
    My Dad is a retired pilot and this is exactly what he thinks happens. Basically he got lost in the clouds, didn’t trust what he was seeing and feeling and didn’t look at or trust his instruments and sadly ran into a hill going as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    My Dad is a retired pilot and this is exactly what he thinks happens. Basically he got lost in the clouds, didn’t trust what he was seeing and feeling and didn’t look at or trust his instruments and sadly ran into a hill going as fast as possible.
    I think they said he missed the first set of mountains by 100 feet before hitting the 2nd side? I didn't realize they circled for 10-12 minutes before being allowed to enter around the Van Nuys airspace? Either way, it seems like there were plenty of red flags abound and they didn't give 2 ***** about being safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Nope, if the local police grounded their copters, Kobe had no business being up there.
    local police do not fly Sikorsky's....it is a whole different breed of flying machine. Kobe has had the Sikorsky for several years, and they are not grounded for fog because they are able to fly above it.

His previous helicopter was smaller, had skids and would have likely been grounded....which is why he upgraded.

saw this animation of crash....not sure if close to accurate

Turn Off Ads?