Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Re: Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Unfortunately when it comes to this stuff neither does TMZ.

I dunno I mean we are talking like an asteroid hitting your world type stuff here.
    TMZ did not have their facts straight initially. They got Kobe right but that was about it

2. Likes:

Chip R (01-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Right my point is, was the LAPD telling her somehow going to make this news more palatable than if she found out on Twitter? I guess maybe the moments of confirmation would be different, but there isn’t some good way to find out your husband and daughter are dead.
    I was on Twitter when the news first started coming out. Their was a lot of doubt within the first 30 minutes or so, on whether it was true or a cruel hoax. I could imagine how traumatizing that doubt could be if it was my family members, so I think there is a big difference in what you're describing.

5. Likes:

Chip R (01-28-2020),redsfandan (01-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    TMZ did not have their facts straight initially. They got Kobe right but that was about it
    I don’t believe TMZ reported anything else besides Kobe. There was a lot of other speculation, but not from TMZ from what I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I was on Twitter when the news first started coming out. Their was a lot of doubt within the first 30 minutes or so, on whether it was true or a cruel hoax. I could imagine how traumatizing that doubt could be if it was my family members, so I think there is a big difference in what you're describing.
    I doubt very much that Vanessa Bryant was furiously scrolling through Twitter like the rest of us. If TMZ knew, people that could tell Vanessa Bryant knew too.

Unfortunately when it comes to this stuff neither does TMZ.

I dunno I mean we are talking like an asteroid hitting your world type stuff here.
    Absolutely. But if you were Rick Fox's family and you heard on Twitter that he was on the helicopter then found out he wasn't. And it wasn't a case of mistaken identity but just some idiot who tweeted a rumor. As we know, people can make up anything these days and some people will take it as gospel. If someone is busted for drugs or DUI or something like that that isn't life or death, then finding out from someplace like TMZ isn't so bad. But when lives are on the line, it's awful to post that stuff before family has been told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

jimbo (01-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Absolutely. But if you were Rick Fox's family and you heard on Twitter that he was on the helicopter then found out he wasn't. And it wasn't a case of mistaken identity but just some idiot who tweeted a rumor. As we know, people can make up anything these days and some people will take it as gospel. If someone is busted for drugs or DUI or something like that that isn't life or death, then finding out from someplace like TMZ isn't so bad. But when lives are on the line, it's awful to post that stuff before family has been told.
    I agree the rampant speculation and misinformation flying around after was bad and a horrible downside of Twitter in particular. But again as far as I recall TMZ didn’t do that and had the Kobe story right. Had the non celebrities been mentioned for some reason, I wouldn’t have liked that.

I don’t believe TMZ reported anything else besides Kobe. There was a lot of other speculation, but not from TMZ from what I recall.
    TMZ was reporting 5 people killed for the longest time. Someone reported that his wife was on board. I honestly can't keep straight all the misreporting

12. Likes:

Chip R (01-29-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I think they said he missed the first set of mountains by 100 feet before hitting the 2nd side? I didn't realize they circled for 10-12 minutes before being allowed to enter around the Van Nuys airspace? Either way, it seems like there were plenty of red flags abound and they didn't give 2 ***** about being safe.
    1st, once the flight is cleared, the pilot has final say in whether they leave or not, not the passengers. So if anyone was being unsafe it was the pilot. 2nd, from all accounts this pilot was very meticulous and was even an instructor. So, I find this statement kind of wreckless or insensitive. If I had to guess, based off the type of chopper and the cargo he had, he probly thought they would be good.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Is finding out that news from anyone else going to somehow make it better?
    Doesn't make it any easier or harder to take, but it also doesn't make it any more right in what TMZ did on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    TMZ was reporting 5 people killed for the longest time. Someone reported that his wife was on board. I honestly can't keep straight all the misreporting
    ALL of the media was reporting 5 people killed, until the press conference and they said it was 9. ESPN, CNN, TMZ, Fox News...all of them were reporting 5.

The more and more I read on this tragic story... and it will be months of investigation before we know all the facts/details .... it may boil down to a seasoned, well-experienced pilot possibly making a bad decision to drive in very foggy weather, and involving hilly terrain. It's happened before (Ray Vaughn, Bill Graham).

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...warning-system

Zobayan, 50, was well-acquainted with the skies over Los Angeles and accustomed to flying Bryant and other celebrities. He spent thousands of hours ferrying passengers through one of the nation's busiest air spaces and training students how to fly a helicopter. Friends and colleagues described him as skilled, cool and collected....

Deetz said he flew with Zobayan a half-dozen times and that Zobayan was familiar with airspace and terrain around Los Angeles and knew "the back doors" -- alternative routes in case of trouble, such as changes in the weather.

Others who knew Zobayan praised him as unflappable and skilled at the controls.

I'm wondering if it wasn't something mechanical, or simple engine stall?

Pilot Ara Zobayan was climbing out of the clouds when the aircraft banked left and began a sudden descent that lasted nearly a minute.

"This is a pretty steep descent at high speed," said Jennifer Homendy of the National Transportation Safety Board. "We know that this was a high-energy impact crash."

The aircraft was intact when it hit the ground, but the impact of the crash spread debris over more than 500 feet.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-29-2020)

Why was this dude going so fast with such poor visibility? Someone was in too much of a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    ALL of the media was reporting 5 people killed, until the press conference and they said it was 9. ESPN, CNN, TMZ, Fox News...all of them were reporting 5.
    True. What's your point?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The more and more I read on this tragic story... and it will be months of investigation before we know all the facts/details .... it may boil down to a seasoned, well-experienced pilot possibly making a bad decision to drive in very foggy weather, and involving hilly terrain. It's happened before (Ray Vaughn, Bill Graham).

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...warning-system

I'm wondering if it wasn't something mechanical, or simple engine stall?
    Probably pilot disorientation due to the fog

It shouldn't take months. We should know before that. I don't think toxicology tests are key here

The NTSB report will take months. They will essentially take the wreckage and rebuild the helicopter before they issue a report. That won't be a quick process.

22. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-29-2020),GAC (01-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?