Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020

NBA 2019-2020

Other one is over 1,000 and title says it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA 2019-2020: RIP Kobe Bryant

WV, could you alter the thread title on this one? Obviously the Kobe news is huge, but we have a separate thread about that and I'm worried in a few weeks some might be a bit confused that this is a general NBA thread.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Posted by M2:

"I give zero rips about your hot takes on Price vs. Moncrief. Price was an All-Star PG on a good, but ultimately forgettable team (sound familiar?). Excellent shooter. Probably would have the green light from 3 (career .402 3P%) if he played in the modern NBA. And I'm not the one who put him on Dame's BB-ref comp list. Yet there he is."

This just shows the lack of wisdom of anything that tries to compare players to one another by using statistics, especially when they try to do it in a team sport.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Posted by M2:

"I give zero rips about your hot takes on Price vs. Moncrief. Price was an All-Star PG on a good, but ultimately forgettable team (sound familiar?). Excellent shooter. Probably would have the green light from 3 (career .402 3P%) if he played in the modern NBA. And I'm not the one who put him on Dame's BB-ref comp list. Yet there he is."

This just shows the lack of wisdom of anything that tries to compare players to one another by using statistics, especially when they try to do it in a team sport.
    You should explain to Dame how to succeed at a team sport.

6. Likes:

redsfanmia (01-26-2020)

Mark Price is a borderline Hall of Famer and was a four-time All-Star. He also got hurt (torn ACL, iirc) and never really recovered.

Lillard's not gone through any of the end of career/ injury stuff most NBA players deal with.

His numbers will almost assuredly drop as he ages into the rest of his career.

That said, he'll have to age at a remarkably high rate to compare to Drexler, one of the all-time greats. The Glide was good throughout his career, but he was among the very best old players in the history of the game.

If Lillard has another six or seven years at this level, perhaps we can talk about whether he stands toe to toe with Drexler.

But for now?

Nope.

Not close.

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-28-2020),M2 (01-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    WV, could you alter the thread title on this one? Obviously the Kobe news is huge, but we have a separate thread about that and I'm worried in a few weeks some might be a bit confused that this is a general NBA thread.
    Only a moderator can edit a thread title.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Only a moderator can edit a thread title.
    At one point as the thread starter you could click on the title while viewing "The Tavern" and change it. But that's been awhile since I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Mark Price is a borderline Hall of Famer and was a four-time All-Star. He also got hurt (torn ACL, iirc) and never really recovered.
    This is one of the those Kingspoint hot takes that I really don't want to know what it is. As you note, Price was a really good player who, prior to LeBron, was the best thing ever to happen to the Cavaliers. He was a fantastic shooter who'd be fearsome in the modern NBA. The guy could play. Had his career not functionally ended at age 30 due to injury he'd be in the HOF.

But how dare he be lumped in with other All-NBA guards who never won the big one.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    At one point as the thread starter you could click on the title while viewing "The Tavern" and change it. But that's been awhile since I did that.
    I use Tapatalk so I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Price is actually part of an exclusive club - guys who've made 1st team All-NBA but not made the HOF:

Tim Hardaway - 1997
    Penny Hardaway - 1995, 1996
    Latrell Sprewell - 1994
    Mark Price - 1993
    Gus Williams - 1982
    Marques Johnson - 1979
    Truck Robinson - 1978
    Gene Shue - 1960

There were a few others in the 1940s and early 50s, but it's arguable the league was only semi-pro at the time.

Hey duc!!!

How'd you like the phitty/6/13 he put on the Pacers!? With a double-digit win? 139 points against the Pacers!? 158 pts in 3 games for Dame this week when he said before the week started that it was Dame time? Can't think of anyone other than Wilt who did that. What!? Mark Price never did it?

Just keep disrespecting Dame.

What a great game!
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-27-2020 at 01:06 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You should explain to Dame how to succeed at a team sport.
    What? How many times does it need to be stated that his teams every season exceed expectations?

Re: NBA 2019-2020

Every time I see Dame put up a game this like it reminds me of how the best pure PG in the league won’t win another playoff series until he moves team. He’s truly brilliant and a proper professional. No smack talk, no ego. Love watching him even after what he did to OKC last year, but people trash Westbrook for having 0 rings, when even this better all round player will end up with the same.

That’s not meant as a bad way, it’s sad that 2 players who were both top 5 points of there generation will most likely end up with 0 rings between them.

What? How many times does it need to be stated that his teams every season exceed expectations?
    So you expected worse than their current 20-27? Plus, no one cares about playing marginally better than expectations after you retire. Did you hang any banners? Because if you didn't, then it's not going to be remembered as the best of times.
    Last edited by M2; 01-27-2020 at 02:25 AM.

Hey duc!!!

How'd you like the phitty/6/13 he put on the Pacers!? With a double-digit win? 139 points against the Pacers!? 158 pts in 3 games for Dame this week when he said before the week started that it was Dame time? Can't think of anyone other than Wilt who did that. What!? Mark Price never did it?

Just keep disrespecting Dame.

What a great game!
    That makes them 6-17 on the season vs. .500 or better teams.

Turn Off Ads?