Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Wes Unseld

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Wes Unseld

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

RIP Wes. You were one of the greatest ever. This is sad news.

You played the real game before the 30% three point shot and the Michael Jordan steps and palming turned the NBA into a circus act.
    Last edited by North; 06-03-2020 at 01:21 AM.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-04-2020),Kingspoint (06-03-2020),texasdave (06-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    RIP Wes. You were one of the greatest ever. This is sad news.

You played the real game before the 30% three point shot and the Michael Jordan steps and palming turned the NBA into a circus act.
    Yes...when basketball was a contact sport (see Jerry Sloan, RIP). Jerry West broke his nose seven times.

Here is some more on Unseld. I was in the stands at a non-Baltimore venue, for seasons, watching him play.

Unseld was unique.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ay/3124873001/

He was one of the NBA's top 50 all-time players.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_G...in_NBA_History

Heh - in high school, I played against another member on that list...Bob Lanier. Bob went to Bennett HS...the team would carry around a portable record player with a 45 of "Sweet Georgia Brown" that they played before games.

They murdered us!

In college, I tried out but I wasn't good enough. Coulda played with the late NBA ironman Randy Smith.
    Last edited by North; 06-03-2020 at 02:33 AM.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-03-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

RIP Wes

This is sad for me. My earliest memory as a Bullets fan is asking my mom and dad to stay up to watch the 1978 NBA Finals. I remember thinking the Sonics were going to win because the two teams took turns winning the first 6 games, and game 7 was Seattle's turn. But nope, the Bullets managed to win it on the road.

Wes was a rebounding machine, an immovable force. I loved those guys: Unseld, Bobby Dandridge (who played at nearby Norfolk State), Elvin Hayes (my favorite), Kevin Grevey, Mitch Kupchak, Greg Ballard, etc.

Sorry to see you go, Big Wes.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This is sad for me. My earliest memory as a Bullets fan is asking my mom and dad to stay up to watch the 1978 NBA Finals. I remember thinking the Sonics were going to win because the two teams took turns winning the first 6 games, and game 7 was Seattle's turn. But nope, the Bullets managed to win it on the road.

Wes was a rebounding machine, an immovable force. I loved those guys: Unseld, Bobby Dandridge (who played at nearby Norfolk State), Elvin Hayes (my favorite), Kevin Grevey, Mitch Kupchak, Greg Ballard, etc.

Sorry to see you go, Big Wes.
    Phil Chenier was the best of them all (just my opinion...Hayes and Unseld would be ranked ahead of him by most).

King of the outlet pass.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-05-2020),North (06-04-2020),RichRed (06-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    King of the outlet pass.
    That would be Mr. Walton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That would be Mr. Walton.
    Ahh yeah, he was one of the best passing big men I had seen.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

Chip R (06-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Ahh yeah, he was one of the best passing big men I had seen.
    Walton and Unseld were 1 and 1A as far as passing ability. You couldn't go wrong with either. Unseld had an ultra wide body and could get position underneath like no other. He was also a great teamleader on those good Bullet teams in the 70's. RIP Wes Unseld.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-05-2020)

Unseld averaged 18.9 rebounds per game for Peck Hickman and John Dromo at Louisville. That's pretty astounding.

Here's an interesting note from the Louisville Courier-Journal. Apparently Westley's high school coach is still alive (he's 88). Check out his review of Wes as a freshman at Louisville Seneca!

“Westley wasn’t a basketball player as a freshman,” said Bob Mulcahy, who was Unseld’s head coach and now lives in Henderson, Ky., at the age of 88. “Westley had the heart and the mind and wanted to be a basketball player. … We didn’t win a game all year when he was a freshman. We had a perfect year.”

Seneca teammate Tom Duggins said Unseld "couldn't dribble the length of the court without losing the ball" as a freshman.

As a senior, Unseld averaged 24 points and 22 rebounds, was Mr. Basketball in Kentucky and an All-American.

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-06-2020),Revering4Blue (06-05-2020)

I feel it would criminal not to mention Wes Unseld's hair game. I think his hair could box out opponents all by itself.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

Betterread (06-05-2020),Chip R (06-05-2020),cumberlandreds (06-06-2020),Revering4Blue (06-05-2020),Roy Tucker (06-05-2020),Tony Cloninger (06-11-2020),westofyou (06-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?