Re: NBA 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Knicks:

PG: Walt Frazier
    SG: Earl The Pearl Monroe
    SF: Bernard King
    PF: Carmelo Anthony
    C: Patrick Ewing
    Willis Reed has to make that starting five.

Dave DeBusschere is underrated too. I'd add him, if only for defense and rebounding.

I'd have one of King or Anthony (likely Carmelo due to length of career).

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

San Antonio is another contender in a loaded Western Conference:

PG Tony Parker
    SG Manu Ginobili
    SF George Gervin
    PF Tim Duncan
    C David Robinson

A little weak at PG, but the wings can shoot, and the front court is as good as anyone's.

Bench guys include Artis Gilmore, Mike Mitchell, James Silas, Larry Kenon, Alvin Robertson (who'd be a monster in today's game), and a whole host of mercenaries (Dale Ellis, Dennis Rodman, Terry Cummings, even Steve Kerr, and Big Shot Rob).

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

PG Tony Parker
    SG Manu Ginobili
    SF George Gervin
    PF Tim Duncan
    C David Robinson

A little weak at PG, but the wings can shoot, and the front court is as good as anyone's.

Bench guys include Artis Gilmore, Mike Mitchell, James Silas, Larry Kenon, Alvin Robertson (who'd be a monster in today's game), and a whole host of mercenaries (Dale Ellis, Dennis Rodman, Terry Cummings, even Steve Kerr, and Big Shot Rob).
    Sean Elliott needs some consideration there. I don't think he goes about Ginobili, but it's pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Sean Elliott needs some consideration there. I don't think he goes about Ginobili, but it's pretty close.
    Not for me.

Ginobili was a guy you had to plan for. He shaped defenses and was so creative in his passing. He made that team run, offensively and defensively.

Elliott was a solid player, but he wasn't as good as Mitchell (who was extremely underrated) Kenon (same), or Alvin Robertson on the wing.

Look at their per 36 averages. Ginobili has him dominated. Mitchell's the better scorer and rebounder. Kenon's got him beat across the board. Even Roberton's eating his lunch.

When push comes to shove, there's only one basketball. Personalities will play a huge part. Would have to have the right referees. Today's refs would all fail miserably. Too thin-skinned.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    One of the things about the Buck Williams trade was that he was the perfect piece. You mention 3 of the 5 starters where Kersey was a 2nd Rd pick and Clyde fell to #14. Bucky Buckwalter and Stu Inman were pulling out miracles on a regular basis there. Uncle Cliffy was a 2nd, too, I believe, but could be wrong there. If only Sabonis would have come over...
    Cliff Robinson was, indeed, a second round pick in 1989. What's more, he's behind only Vlade Divac (and just ahead of a very likely future Hall-of-Famer named Shawn Kemp) in regards to cumulative 1989 draft class win shares.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Knicks:

Bench: Willis Reed, Bob McAdoo (2 years as a Knick is enough, right?), Marc Jackson, Dave DeBussschere, Allen Houston, Latrell Spreewell, Amare Stoudamire
    Willis Reed has to make that starting five.

Dave DeBusschere is underrated too. I'd add him, if only for defense and rebounding.

I'd have one of King or Anthony (likely Carmelo due to length of career).
    Puffy's all-time Knicks starting five would have no issues spreading the floor in today's game, IMHO. That's why 'Melo at PF and Ewing at Center , even ahead of Willis Reed, makes a ton of sense.

Some additional thoughts:

- Bob McAdoo was a 2 time all-star as a Knick, so he's a good choice as a bench element.

- Two long forgotten former Knicks all-stars that should, IMHO, appear as reserves for an all-time Knicks team:

Michael Ray Richardson

Richie Guerin

But you really can't go wrong either way.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Did I miss it, or has Cleveland not been done?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Knicks:

Bench: Willis Reed, Bob McAdoo (2 years as a Knick is enough, right?), Marc Jackson, Dave DeBussschere, Allen Houston, Latrell Spreewell, Amare Stoudamire
    No Charles Oakley, Anthony Mason or John Starks? This is clearly not based on inner Knicks fan love.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Warriors might have a say in the West:

PG Stephen Curry
    SG Chris Mullin
    SF Rick Barry
    PF Kevin Durant
    C Wilt Chamberlain

Woof, that's a great top five. More than that, the bench is bonkers. Paul Arizin, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Sleepy Floyd, Tim Hardaway, Nate Thurmond, Mitch Richmond, Tom Gola-- geez, there's no weakness there. This might be the best shooting team of the all-time greats. Scorers (and passers) everywhere. (And underrated defenders as well. Barry and Durant were both underrated.)

13. Likes:

M2 (03-31-2020)

PG Tony Parker
    SG Manu Ginobili
    SF George Gervin
    PF Tim Duncan
    C David Robinson

No Kawhi Leonard?

And I, too, would have selected both Mike Mitchell (R.I.P) and Larry Kenon as forwards ahead of Sean Elliott. But that illustrates more about the Spurs' depth of SF talent over the years than of Sean Elliott's abilities/overall contributions to the franchise. After all, Mitchell and Kenon could swing over to the 4 on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Did I miss it, or has Cleveland not been done?
    Happy to oblige:

PG Mark Price
    2G Ron Harper
    SF Larry Nance
    PF Lebron James
    C Brad Daugherty

Bench: Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Mike Mitchell, Austin Carr, Terrell Brandon and Campy Russell

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-31-2020)

The Warriors would definitely have a say in the West:

PG Stephen Curry
    SG Chris Mullin
    SF Rick Barry
    PF Kevin Durant
    C Wilt Chamberlain

Woof, that's a great top five. More than that, the bench is bonkers. Paul Arizin, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Sleepy Floyd, Tim Hardaway, Nate Thurmond, Mitch Richmond, Tom Gola-- geez, there's no weakness there. This might be the best shooting team of the all-time greats. Scorers (and passers) everywhere. (And underrated defenders as well. Barry and Durant were both underrated.)
    FIFY

FWIW, the only change I would make is to replace Sleepy Floyd with Purvis Short -- I'll argue that Short contributed significantly more to the Warriors franchise than Sleepy Floyd, and it's a crime (relatively speaking) that Short never was chosen as an All-Star -- which adds even more shooting and versatility to this stacked roster, leaving plenty of facilitators to go around.

Still a great team, though.

18. Likes:

M2 (03-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    All right time for the Clippers/Braves team:

PG - Chris Paul
    SG - Randy Smith
    SF - Corey Maggette
    PF - Elton Brand (sorry Blake)
    C - Bob McAdoo

On the bench they've got World B. Free (averaged 29.4 PPG in his two seasons in San Diego), Blake Griffin, Danny Manning, DeAndre Jordan, Ron Harper and Terry Cummings (never should have traded him).
    -- I agree with the selections of Paul, Smith (one of my all-time favorites) and McAdoo (Still the MVP of the franchise, IMO), but my forwards would be Terry Cummings and Blake Griffin.

McAdoo, who assuredly would be burying threes in today's NBA climate, and Griffin would help to stretch the floor with Terry Cummings schooling opposing teams that dared try to stick a SF on him. Remember how he'd destroy opposing SFs while playing next to Tom Chambers and/or as a SF next to Bill Walton and James Donaldson at PF and C, respectively? Only this time, it would be a four-out/one-in situation with Cummings paying in.

-- Maybe it is just me, but I'd go with Swen Nater -- who merely led the '79-'80 NBA in rebounding, and was a far more productive ABA/ NBA center in his prime than most realize -- and Norm Nixon as additional bench elements.

Players should be healthier than they have ever been whenever they resume again with all of this rest they'll get and no off-season international tournaments and no playoffs from the previous season.

Turn Off Ads?