Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: NBA 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I love this deal for Minnesota.

Covington has been pretty poor as a 3-and-D guy as a T-Wolf.

Beasley and Hernangomez will start the rest of the season to see what they have.

A sleeper candidate could well be Jared Vanderbilt. He's a rebounding machine and could become an exceptional defensive player. I could see a Ben Wallace clone there. With Minnesota's roster (sans a PG), there may be enough shooting to let him play 30 mpg and not kill them offensively.
    IMO, both Vanderbilt and Keita Bates-Diop, who were essentially traded for one another, could be sneaky good pickups for their respective teams.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Watched a good bit of the Celtics and Magic. Evan Fournier stood out for his team. Orlando really needs to get something for him in trade before he walks as a free agent. Maybe they can sign-and-trade with him this summer, but there ought to be a pile of contenders that want him right now.
    He's been linked to Dallas. But it's difficult to produce a trade scenario that doesn't result in Seth Curry going to Orlando in such case.

That should be a big "NO" from Dallas.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The Kings tied two 2nd round picks to Dewayne Dedmon to get rid of him. He's rejoining the Hawks. Jabari Parker and the immortal Alex Len are heading in the other direction.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If I'm the Blazers, my historical re-do would be the 1978 draft. Come out of that with Larry Bird and Reggie Theus instead of Mychal Thompson and Ron Brewer, and get into the ring chasing business.
    Indiana nearly drafted Bird in '78, but Slick Leonard felt (after visiting with Bird pre-draft and failed to convince him to head straight to the NBA, that the Pacers - who had just lost Dan Roundfield as a free agent, and had just signed Alex English away from the Bucks - couldn't afford to wait for Bird. As it turned out for the Blazers in '78-'79, they could've afforded to wait for Bird as Walton would never play another game for the Blazers. And they could've rolled with Tim Owens, Kevin Kunnert (part of the Clippers compensation package for Walton) and fellow '78 draftee Clemon Johnson at Center, and upgraded there at a later date.

As for Theus (a criminally underrated player in his day, IMO), hindsight being 20/20 and all, I still wonder what possessed several NBA scouts to believe circa '78 pre draft that the rather one-dimensional Brewer was a better NBA prospect than the multi-faceted Theus.

As for 1984, I feel like one of Clyde or MJ could have been classified a SF. They were both oversized SGs.
    True, but it stands to reason that the trade for Vandeweghe may have changed the calculus in regards to selecting Jordan and rolling with it. And IIRC, Jim Paxson also spent at least minutes at SF. Nevertheless, I totally get why 1)Denver traded Vandeweghe given the NBA landscape at the time. 2)Portland traded for him. But my issue was/is that they overpaid for him. Case in point, Vandeweghe, as a Nugget, was offered straight-up to San Diego in '83 for Tom Chambers (before Chambers was traded to Seattle),and the Clippers refused the offer.

Side note, I was born in the same hospital as Geoff Petrie (many years afterward). I think one of my aunts might have dated him.
    Cool aside. Just as with Andrew Toney, one has to wonder if Petrie would've enjoyed a Hall-of-Fame career if not for career-ending injury.

6. Likes:

M2 (02-06-2020)

The Kings tied two 2nd round picks to Dewayne Dedmon to get rid of him. He's rejoining the Hawks. Jabari Parker and the immortal Alex Len are heading in the other direction.
    Dedmon was pretty successful in that system in Atlanta.

Parker has a player option for next season, and may provide in one season far more in one season than a potential second-round draftee.

While I suspect that Len will be needed to fill minutes in the Middle for Sacto, is there still a possibility that he's a buyout candidate? Houston?

Nevertheless, we can now officially declare Vlade Divac's '19 free agency class a failure.

8. Likes:

M2 (02-06-2020)

Great depth pickup for the Sixers.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

goreds2 (02-06-2020),Revering4Blue (02-06-2020)

Nuggets went in Utah tonight with only seven available players and clawed their way to a 98-95 win.
    ...with Gary Harris going 0-13 from the floor.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    ...with Gary Harris going 0-13 from the floor.
    and Jokic joining the single game 30-20-10 club.

Sixers worked out a trade to acquire Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III from the Golden State Warriors for three second-round picks shortly at 12:30 a.m. Thursday, according to league sources. The Sixers will send the Warriors the Dallas Mavericks’ 2020 second-round pick, the Denver Nuggets’ 2021 second-round pick, and the Toronto Raptors’ 2022 second-rounder.

Robinson and Burks will give the Sixers some much-needed scoring off the bench.

Robinson, a sixth-year player out of Michigan, is averaging 12.9 points in 31.6 minutes this season, shooting 48.1% from the field and 40% from 3-point range. Burks, a ninth-year player out of Colorado, is averaging 16.1 points in 29 minutes, shooting 40.6% from the field and 37.5% from 3-point range.
    Last edited by goreds2; 02-06-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

14. Likes:

M2 (02-06-2020)

The grizzlies front office is killing it.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Nuggets went in Utah tonight with only seven available players and clawed their way to a 98-95 win.
    Mitchell was awful, but man what a terrible loss for Utah.

Orlando reported as unlikely to do anything too significant but remain in the market for "good, young perimeter help".

I realize expectations should be tempered with the team playing without Isaac and Aminu but things still shouldn't be this bad. On the year the team is 16-6 against current non playoff teams and 6-23 against playoff teams. Currently sitting as the 8th seed in the east it's going to take a real stumble to not make the playoffs (Chicago is 3.5 games back in 9th).

I'd really like to see them look to the future and invest in it by selling off a player like Fournier, Vucevic, or Gordon but I fear the revenue from a playoff series will trump any movement of those players. I can't be too disappointed because pulling in Fultz at the deadline last year was probably the best TDL move in the history of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Orlando reported as unlikely to do anything too significant but remain in the market for "good, young perimeter help".

I realize expectations should be tempered with the team playing without Isaac and Aminu but things still shouldn't be this bad. On the year the team is 16-6 against current non playoff teams and 6-23 against playoff teams. Currently sitting as the 8th seed in the east it's going to take a real stumble to not make the playoffs (Chicago is 3.5 games back in 9th).

I'd really like to see them look to the future and invest in it by selling off a player like Fournier, Vucevic, or Gordon but I fear the revenue from a playoff series will trump any movement of those players. I can't be too disappointed because pulling in Fultz at the deadline last year was probably the best TDL move in the history of the franchise.
    Poor shooting and no pace is killing them. They just don't move the ball well. I know you like Fultz, but I watched Brad Wanamaker and Romeo Lankford chew him up last night. His inability to space the floor is a problem in 2020.

I get the playoff revenue angle, but they'd probably still make the playoffs regardless of any moves they make. Gordon is having a terrible season. Ross has been disappointing. Isaac is a great defensive player, but he didn't take that Siakam type leap on offense. Fournier potentially leaving after the season would take away their only reliable shooter.

I could see them being players for D'Angelo Russell during the summer. He'd give them a high volume scorer in their backcourt. Isaac, who'd be a much better fit on a good shooting team, might appeal to the Dubs, and the Magic have a few different ways of balancing out the money. Ultimately I don't what it will take to kick them up to where the top six in the conference are (and it will be a top seven next season when KD starts playing for Brooklyn), but it's going to take some major surgery to get there.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Sixers worked out a trade to acquire Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III from the Golden State Warriors for three second-round picks shortly at 12:30 a.m. Thursday, according to league sources. The Sixers will send the Warriors the Dallas Mavericks’ 2020 second-round pick, the Denver Nuggets’ 2021 second-round pick, and the Toronto Raptors’ 2022 second-rounder.

Robinson and Burks will give the Sixers some much-needed scoring off the bench.

Robinson, a sixth-year player out of Michigan, is averaging 12.9 points in 31.6 minutes this season, shooting 48.1% from the field and 40% from 3-point range. Burks, a ninth-year player out of Colorado, is averaging 16.1 points in 29 minutes, shooting 40.6% from the field and 37.5% from 3-point range.
    And apparently, they are not done , as they need to clear two roster spots. Perhaps a 3 for 1 deal is out there. The million dollar question: Will Brett Brown split the first and second units up to allow for more consistent floor spacing?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

21. Likes:

goreds2 (02-06-2020),M2 (02-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    And apparently, they are not done , as they need to clear two roster spots. Perhaps a 3 for 1 deal is out there. The million dollar question: Will Brett Brown split the first and second units up to allow for more consistent floor spacing?
    I still wonder why Brett Brown is being trusted to coach a team with designs on winning a title. He's not going to figure out anything.

Turn Off Ads?