Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020

Re: NBA 2019-2020

The Hornets just beat the Pistons 87-76. Shame on them both.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Hornets just beat the Pistons 87-76. Shame on them both.
    I saw those 76 points scored on a depleted Charlotte team and thought that this Detroit team has to be the worst in the NBA at the moment and now thinking about it, would struggle against many college teams and most international teams.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Did you love that game-high +17 he hung on the Blazers the other night? And his .539 eFG% is better than CJ's and higher than every season of Dame's career except for this one.

Also, your team employs Carmelo Anthony.
    In a game the refs swallowed their whistles versus Portland? The +17 was not indicative of his play that night. His eFG% doesn't make up for his atrocious Defense or his complete stoppage of Offense exactly as it was against Portland. Pretty sure he missed most of the shots he took versus Portland. He had 4 three's, if I recall, but he took about 11 or 12 with most of them being out of the flow of the Offense. He makes everyone around him worse every second he is on the floor.

Have no idea what you mean by Melo. Melo has been fantastic since he's been here.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    In a game the refs swallowed their whistles versus Portland? The +17 was not indicative of his play that night. His eFG% doesn't make up for his atrocious Defense or his complete stoppage of Offense exactly as it was against Portland. Pretty sure he missed most of the shots he took versus Portland. He had 4 three's, if I recall, but he took about 11 or 12 with most of them being out of the flow of the Offense. He makes everyone around him worse every second he is on the floor.

Have no idea what you mean by Melo. Melo has been fantastic since he's been here.
    Always with an excuse. Were the refs making special Jordan Clarkson calls so he'd top the game in +/-? I know it's frustrating the way the refs constantly enforce the league's pro-Clarkson agenda.

Anyway, you claimed Clarkson couldn't shoot. Turns out he can. Shot a good bit better than CJ in the game against Portland. Went 12-19 last night (Houston) and 10-17 tonight (Dallas). All wins. You also seem to be deeply confused about his role on that team. You do realize Utah had one of the poorest offenses in the league before Clarkson arrived and it's his job to shoot, right? Like, the flow of the offense when he's on the court is designed to get the ball into his hands. When Dame takes two steps over the midcourt line and fires a 3, is that in the flow of the offense?

And it's absolutely hysterical that you imagine Clarkson as a poor shooting, ball stopping defensive shambles and then claim Carmelo Anthony has been "fantastic." I'm happy for Melo he's found a role. Yet he's a low percentage shooter, one of the most notorious ball stoppers of all time and his defense can best be described as turnstile. His new uniform hasn't changed that.
    Last edited by M2; 02-11-2020 at 01:22 AM.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-11-2020)

Nice try cherry-picking stats, M2.

You don't want to go there.

Clarkson has never had an Offensive Rating higher than 107.0 in his life until this recent small 23-game sample size in UTA where it sits at 113.0. He might actually finish with a positive Net Rating for the first time in his life over this half season in UTA, where it currently sita at 3.1. He's under for the season at -2.0, just as he has been negative in Net Rating in every season and at every stop in his career. This is why he's not, and shouldn't be, a Starter. At age 27 he should be at his peak, so this stop in UTA should produce the best basketball of his career. But, his best season isn't yet as good as Dame's worst, Lillard's Rookie season, when he swept the Rookie-of-the-Month Awards finishing with a -1.2 Net Rating. Since then, Dame has had seven straight Positive Net Rating seasons, a rare feat for any NBA player.

As far as your cherry-picked 23-game sample size of Clarkson's eFG%? The subject was why he isn't a Starter. If you want to refer to that stat, a larger sample size should be used, such as his previous seasons, where his eFG%'s were from 2014-15 to present 48.0, 48.3, 50.9, 50.9, 54.9. As anyone can see, that's nothing to write home to Momma about.

A better description of someone's shooting ability, besides the fact that Lillard gets picked up at halfcourt and double-teamed by the time he gets past the logo, two things Clarkson never has to worry about, is to look at True-Shooting-Percentage, since it takes into account all shots taken, again ignoring how much Lillard spreads the Defense (he's shooting over 70% beyond 30 feet this year). Clarkson's TS%'s from 2014-15 to present are 52.8, 51.6, 52.6, 54.2, 53.9, 58.3. Lillard's from 2012-13 are 54.6, 56.8, 56.0, 56.0, 58.6, 59.4, 58.8, 62.5.

C.J., like Lillard, has had a positive Net Rating every season but his Rookie season, when it was -2.1. You need to be able to have a consistently positive Net Rating to be considered worthy of starting in this league. If you are always negative season, you need to come off the bench so your Coach can pick and choose when to use you, and you definitely should not be on the floor for the last five minutes of a close game.

Melo, btw, has an Offensive Rating of 112.7, which would be the highest of any season for his entire career.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-11-2020 at 01:59 AM.

Nice try cherry-picking stats, M2.

You don't want to go there.

Clarkson has never had an Offensive Rating higher than 107.0 in his life until this recent small 23-game sample size in UTA where it sits at 113.0. He might actually finish with a positive Net Rating for the first time in his life over this half season in UTA, where it currently sita at 3.1. He's under for the season at -2.0, just as he has been negative in Net Rating in every season and at every stop in his career. This is why he's not, and shouldn't be, a Starter. At age 27 he should be at his peak, so this stop in UTA should produce the best basketball of his career. But, his best season isn't yet as good as Dame's worst, Lillard's Rookie season, when he swept the Rookie-of-the-Month Awards finishing with a -1.2 Net Rating. Since then, Dame has had seven straight Positive Net Rating seasons, a rare feat for any NBA player.

As far as your cherry-picked 23-game sample size of Clarkson's eFG%? The subject was why he isn't a Starter. If you want to refer to that stat, a larger sample size should be used, such as his previous seasons, where his eFG%'s were from 2014-15 to present 48.0, 48.3, 50.9, 50.9, 54.9. As anyone can see, that's nothing to write home to Momma about.

A better description of someone's shooting ability, besides the fact that Lillard gets picked up at halfcourt and double-teamed by the time he gets past the logo, two things Clarkson never has to worry about, is to look at True-Shooting-Percentage, since it takes into account all shots taken, again ignoring how much Lillard spreads the Defense (he's shooting over 70% beyond 30 feet this year). Clarkson's TS%'s from 2014-15 to present are 52.8, 51.6, 52.6, 54.2, 53.9, 58.3. Lillard's from 2012-13 are 54.6, 56.8, 56.0, 56.0, 58.6, 59.4, 58.8, 62.5.

C.J., like Lillard, has had a positive Net Rating every season but his Rookie season, when it was -2.1. You need to be able to have a consistently positive Net Rating to be considered worthy of starting in this league. If you are always negative season, you need to come off the bench so your Coach can pick and choose when to use you, and you definitely should not be on the floor for the last five minutes of a close game.

Melo, btw, has an Offensive Rating of 112.7, which would be the highest of any season for his entire career.
    You really ought to stick to your admonition not to use statistics, because you're terrible with them. Clarkson's a young guy who's played on young and bad teams most of his career. Team dependent stats aren't really going to tell you that much about him or show where he's improved. His shooting has gotten better. His shot selection has improved. His turnover percentage has dropped. He's a good bit than he was in early days with the Lakers, and you simply haven't kept up with that.

It's another case of you getting stuck in a completely ridiculous hot take. This is the same brand genius you brought to your incisive take that Kemba Walker would never quarterback a good team. Yet, ta-da, I present you the 2019-20 Boston Celtics. They're on pace to win 59 games, which would equal the 2nd-best Blazers season ever.

Oh, and if you want to take issue with Clarkson's .503 career eFG% that's on the upswing, Carmelo's is .482 and on the downswing. Also, BB-ref has got Melo's O rating at 101.

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-11-2020)

Sixers vs LA Clippers tonight 7pm on TNT.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Utah just finished that relatively tough stretch of 9 games going 4-5, but had to win the last 3 to salvage it. I thought going 6-3 would be ok and the losses to Houston without Harden/Westbrook and the Denver home loss with 7 guys and blowing a 15 point second half lead were...bad. They don't leave Salt Lake now until March, so hopefully they can make up the 2 games on Denver and LAC to get back into the 2 seed before they do an East coast trip.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-12-2020)

Jordan Clarkson is a sieve on Defense. Makes Lou Williams look like Beverly.
    as someone that has watched them up close at the same time on the same team....Williams is the worst defender, but that is because he literally does not give effort half the time. Clarkson at least tries most of the time and will accidentally stop someone or run into a ball every once in a while. I will be honest, I never could figure out why Clarkson was so bad on defense because he gave effort. Most guys I can pick up on what they are doing wrong....but not him...he would try and is athletic, but still get beat.

14. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Utah just finished that relatively tough stretch of 9 games going 4-5, but had to win the last 3 to salvage it. I thought going 6-3 would be ok and the losses to Houston without Harden/Westbrook and the Denver home loss with 7 guys and blowing a 15 point second half lead were...bad. They don't leave Salt Lake now until March, so hopefully they can make up the 2 games on Denver and LAC to get back into the 2 seed before they do an East coast trip.
    One of those three wins was a miracle (Houston), and the other should have been tied with 10 seconds left. Still a good chance Utah wins that game, but it obviously could have gone either way from that point. So I'm just not particularly optimistic about the team at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Sixers vs LA Clippers tonight 7pm on TNT.
    Huh, I was right. Al Hoford is coming off the bench.

Should be a good benchmark game for both teams.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

17. Likes:

goreds2 (02-11-2020),Revering4Blue (02-12-2020)

19. Likes:

Sixers defeat the Clippers in Philly 110-103. 25-2 at home
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

This is why Portland won’t make playoffs IMO. The need Dame to score 50 literally every night. Even he’s entitled to a bad game but it won’t be enough with the injuries they have.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    This is why Portland won’t make playoffs IMO. The need Dame to score 50 literally every night. Even he’s entitled to a bad game but it won’t be enough with the injuries they have.
    I think the Blazers still have a decent shot at the #8 seed, but the Pelicans are a nightmare opponent for them - long guards and a human battering ram in the paint. Nola was 2-0 against them before Zion arrived.
    Last edited by M2; 02-11-2020 at 11:36 PM.

23. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?