Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020

Re: NBA 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    By opening up practice facilities, players recovering from injuries will be able to go in and get looked at and work out rehabilitation regimens that are monitored more closely.
    That is fine, but it was not the reasoning they originally gave for opening the facilities. Honestly, if you are going to take all of the precautions specified at the facilities, there was little reason to ever close them completely. Maybe cease actual basketball workouts....but treatments could have continued. Players even could have been assigned their own strength equipment, etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?

(Reuters) - The National Basketball Association announced on Monday it is modifying guidance on player training, which could allow team facilities to open as early as May 8 in U.S. states easing stay-at-home orders put in place to fight the novel coronavirus outbreak. The opening of facilities would be the first step towards restarting the league, which has been shuttered since March 11 after a Utah Jazz player tested positive for the coronavirus. “The purpose of these changes is to allow for safe and controlled environments for players to train in states that allow them to do so, and to create a process for identifying safe training options for players located in other states,” the NBA said in a statement. The changes would allow teams to make facilities available to players for workouts or injury treatment on a voluntary basis. For teams based in states or cities where government restrictions remain in place, the NBA will work with them to find alternative arrangement.

As part of the guidelines no more than four players will be permitted at a facility at any one time and no coaches can participate. Group activity remains prohibited, including practices or scrimmages. Players are also prohibited from using non-team facilities such as public health clubs, fitness centers or gyms.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

North (04-28-2020)

(Reuters) - Players are also prohibited from using non-team facilities such as public health clubs, fitness centers or gyms.
    no way that can be enforceable if not collectively bargained or included in a contract?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    no way that can be enforceable if not collectively bargained or included in a contract?
    It's a request. This isn't North Korea.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

One more reason to hate the Fakers:
    "The 16-time NBA Finals champions, one of the most valuable teams in the league according to Forbes, had received a reported $4.6 million loan through the program."

They returned it after getting caught.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/sport...CN2292QI-OCASP

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

"The 16-time NBA Finals champions, one of the most valuable teams in the league according to Forbes, had received a reported $4.6 million loan through the program."

This is a BS thing from the Lakers...

16x World Champions referred to as Fakers is illogical. That said, as a die hard fan of the Lakers...it was clearly a shameful act. I will even point out that consider how soft the sports media is going on them, and Jeanie Buss specifically. Imagine for a second how the sports media would respond if it was James Dolan and the Knicks. They would make sure there was much more outrage coverage.

It's a request. This isn't North Korea.
    have no idea what you think the word "prohibited" means, but there is nothing in the definition that resembles a request.

prohibited - 1.) that has been forbidden; banned. 2.) formally forbid (something) by law, rule, or other authority

Meaning we will fine you should you violate this commissioner mandate. Why don't you look up mandate, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sebastian Telfair lost his older brother and his mother to COVID-19.

You are right about the Buss family. I may not have liked the results, but I respected the franchise up to the point that West left. After that they became slime.

Meaning we will fine you should you violate this commissioner mandate. Why don't you look up mandate, too.
    Feels like you are taking my question personal....but it stands...my understanding is there can be no restrictions placed on a player beyond local or state law, his individual contract (from the team), or the CBA (the league). My understanding may be inaccurate, which is why I placed a question mark to highlight I was not 100% sure.

You are right about the Buss family. I may not have liked the results, but I respected the franchise up to the point that West left. After that they became slime.
    Oh, I admired Dr. Buss....and I do not have strong feelings about his kids individually. I think they are all trust fund babies that are all a mess to a degree in their own way. I was pointing out that I agree that it was a decision that should be criticized, and the sports media treats some owners/front offices with kid gloves. I am not fan of Dolan, but I know the same act would be treated a different way with the media because he has become an easy target. Much of that is his fault, but much of the stuff the media criticizes him for could also be applied the Lakers FO in recent years and the Buss kids. Jeanie Buss is a media favorite and is rarely held accountable in the media. The media hated Jim Buss (her brother), but never truly criticized Jeanie when she was his boss and could have intervened at any time on any decision. Some of the things that Jeanie did in reference to Jim Buss was despicable, but the media never called her out for it. Again, Jim Buss is at fault and deserving of much of the criticism he received, but I have just always noticed the different treatment Jeanie Buss and a handful of others in the NBA front offices have received compared to the majority.

Then there's this:

Portland finds the money to pay Moses Malone, doesn't trade him to Buffalo (who then don't trade him to Houston for two first rd picks two games later), Portland doesn't flip the Buffalo pick for Indiana's, consequently doesn't draft Michael Thompson #1 overall, who then doesn't meet and marry a woman from Portland, Klay Thompson doesn't ever exist and the Warriors don't win any Championships. Portland, in turn wins the 1978 Championship, too, as Malone takes over for Walton at Center when he goes down and the Blazers sporting a 50-10 (probably a little better with Malone on the team) record. Malone continues to spell Walton, eventually taking over for him as Portland's starting Center alongside his former ABA teammate, Maurice Lucas. Philadelphia also doesn't win a Championship in the '80's.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-29-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Back to modern day basketball, assuming that the regular is 100% over, I thought we might look ahead for the teams whose seasons are over. Let's start with Golden State.

Worst record in the NBA, but next year they get back Steph, Klay and Kevon Looney. Add in Dray and Andrew Wiggins (who will be asked to do his best Harrison Barnes impression) and that's a team that should be in the playoffs. They also seem to have built some depth with Eric Paschall, Damion Lee, Ky Bowman, Marquese Chriss and Dragan Bender. Those last two were last season reclamation projects that may have gone unnoticed (and Bender may be able to skip to another team), but they've potentially got a usable mix of bigs.

Toss in what's going to be at least a #5 overall pick in the draft and the Warriors are the best looking last place team ever. They don't have any salary cap room, so they can't really add anyone notable unless they move one of the their big four contracts. Yet they'll probably grab a veteran for the minimum who wants to chase a ring.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Whenever they start playing again, teams and players are going to be the healthiest physically they've been in years and years for players and forever for teams. However, they are going to be in their worst basketball shape of their lives. Won't be a lot of energy on Defense. Will take three months just to get into basketball shape. Then there's always the risk of non-contact injury whenever anyone tries to ramp up to basketball shape too soon.

Turn Off Ads?