Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020

Re: NBA 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    never say never in the NBA in regards to moving contracts...it appears to be a really bad deal, but every deal is movable. May have to include draft capital and even take back some less bad contract.
    True, though I think Wall's more likely two years away from being an absorbable bad asset. I suppose if he had a Chris Paul-esque flourish, he'd develop a market. Yet then I doubt the Wizlets move him. The other complicating factor here is the economy. Wall's got a monster deal and teams may be choked for cash the next two seasons.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (04-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    True, though I think Wall's more likely two years away from being an absorbable bad asset. I suppose if he had a Chris Paul-esque flourish, he'd develop a market. Yet then I doubt the Wizlets move him. The other complicating factor here is the economy. Wall's got a monster deal and teams may be choked for cash the next two seasons.
    "Wizlets?" I like that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Wall >>>> Green. Even after the injury.
    With the caveat that they're so different it's a somewhat meaningless comparison,

A) Got no idea what Wall's going to be on the other side of this injury.

B) If you go by advanced stats, Dray bested Wall in Win Shares, on/off +/-, Box Plus/Minus and VORP in most of their overlapping seasons as starting players (2014-15 through 2018-19), and every season in WS/48. Wall won each season in PER.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    "Wizlets?" I like that. LOL
    Bullards also works. I conflate it because I spent just about 20 years paying minimal attention to the NBA and when I came back DC's name had changed but it felt like it was the same doomed franchise.

7. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-01-2020)

Bullards sounds like a gross childhood disease from eating your own poop or something.

9. Likes:

M2 (04-30-2020),Revering4Blue (05-02-2020)

Bullards sounds like a gross childhood disease from eating your own poop or something.
    Or a supermarket chain in Central Pennsylvania.

11. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-30-2020),Revering4Blue (05-02-2020)

Since Kingspoint put the Blazers on the table, anyone got any offseason moves for them? For instance, I'm in favor of trading CJ McCollum in theory, but I'm having a hard time working out the where and for who part. To the Sixers for Tobias Harris? CJ would make sense for Miami, but I'm not sure what they'd send Portland's way. So maybe a three-way there? Orlando's still an interesting potential trade partner. Memphis should want him, but that's another tricky return. Same applies to the Mavs.

CJ McCollum to New York Knicks for Julius Randle, RJ Barrett, and Mitchell Robinson.

McCollum becomes the PG, primary ball-handler, and All-Star ball hog the Knicks need. He'll hoist 20 shots a game, and the Knicks will need everyone of them. He's a 90-minute drive from his college hometown too, so they can sell him as a "local" star. Sure, he's got a long, long contract, but that's a plus for the Knicks.

Randle is salary ballast, but useful in Portland. He plays a brand of basketball that could mesh well with Lillard. (The best season of his career was as a secondary scorer and bench big with a dominant ball handling PG in New Orleans.) Barrett's a mystery that could get unlocked in his proper role (as a wing shooter and secondary ballhandler)-- and in 10 less mpg. A three-headed wing of Barrett, Hood, and Ariza keeps all three fresh and focused while protecting the Blazers from injury. Robinson's the rim-running, shot-blocking center they thought they had in Whiteside, but at a fraction of the cost. He also works well with Collins and Nurkic. Randle's deal is up after next season, so Portland can go for broke adding talent around Dame in one year. By that point, with the emergence of either Barrett or Robinson (or both), they might not have to.

14. Likes:

M2 (04-30-2020)

CJ McCollum to New York Knicks for Julius Randle, RJ Barrett, and Mitchell Robinson.

McCollum becomes the PG, primary ball-handler, and All-Star ball hog the Knicks need. He'll hoist 20 shots a game, and the Knicks will need everyone of them. He's a 90-minute drive from his college hometown too, so they can sell him as a "local" star. Sure, he's got a long, long contract, but that's a plus for the Knicks.

Randle is salary ballast, but useful in Portland. He plays a brand of basketball that could mesh well with Lillard. (The best season of his career was as a secondary scorer and bench big with a dominant ball handling PG in New Orleans.) Barrett's a mystery that could get unlocked in his proper role (as a wing shooter and secondary ballhandler)-- and in 10 less mpg. A three-headed wing of Barrett, Hood, and Ariza keeps all three fresh and focused while protecting the Blazers from injury. Robinson's the rim-running, shot-blocking center they thought they had in Whiteside, but at a fraction of the cost. He also works well with Collins and Nurkic. Randle's deal is up after next season, so Portland can go for broke adding talent around Dame in one year. By that point, with the emergence of either Barrett or Robinson (or both), they might not have to.
    This is a horrible trade. I wouldn't trade CJ for Mitchell Robinson straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This is a horrible trade. I wouldn't trade CJ for Mitchell Robinson straight up.
    Robinson might have been born at the wrong time in history. Your team has made a compelling case that bigs are kind of useless.

Right.

Which is why the Blazers get help at PF (Randle) and an upside pick at wing (Barrett).

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Robinson might have been born at the wrong time in history. Your team has made a compelling case that bigs are kind of useless.
    I wanted Robinson so bad in that draft and literally went ballistic when the Lakers took Moe Wagner. Now I will admit, Moe showed a little promise with the Wizards since he was traded....but I also think Robinson could do so much more if developed properly. The Knicks appear satisfied with his just being a shot blocking/dunking big....but if you go back an watch his high school tape, he was a jump shooting, ball handling, take guys off the dribble player. I get it...it was public high school, but still he was doing this as a 7' 17 year old. I think he has the ability for a lot more development if an organization would commit to it and allow his some freedom.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-02-2020)

Right.

Which is why the Blazers get help at PF (Randle) and an upside pick at wing (Barrett).
    I wouldn't do the trade from the Knicks point of view. And it's still a horrible trade.

Next in our series of Fix This Team!, I present the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Pros:
    - Karl-Anthony Towns is an offensive god, capable of elite scoring at all three levels.
    - D'Angelo Russell is a former All-Star and score-first lead guard.
    - They have restricted FA rights to wing Malik Beasley, who went for 21/5/2 in 12 games, while providing 42+% from three-point range.
    - Youth. Minnesota is the youngest team in the league, at 23.6.

Cons:
    - 19 wins. With so much talent, that oughtta be illegal.
    - Complete lack of team defense
    - Relatively little contract space-- two max contracts plus how much they'll have to pay to keep Beasley. Pretty tight, that.

Free Agents
    SG Malik Beasley SG (RFA)
    PF Juan Hernangomez (UFA)
    PF James Johnson (Player's Option)

Hypothetical Moves:
    I sneaky kind of like this team as is. The deals for Russell, Hernandgomez, and Beasley look to be great so far, and the philosophy behind them makes sense. They're following the Denver playbook by surrounding Towns with as many shooters as possible. A team with Russell/ Beasley/ Layman/ Johnson/ Hernangomez can do just that. They should score. A lot.

Beasley and Russell certainly should in the backcourt. Both can shoot. The issue is that neither plays much defense either. James Johnson, OTOH, plays solid D and can shoot, but he's owed a bunch of cash, and relatively old. (I love him for the toughness he provides and believe he's a keeper.) Hennangomez, then, seems a bit redundant. He's played very well in the minutes he's been given in Minnesota (and the team would likely want to keep him over the more expensive Johnson), but one of the two PF probably needs to go. Since Hernangomez is a UFA, he's the odd man out.

Small forward is an issue. A major issue. Jarrett Culver has been absolutely dreadful offensively (as expected) and defensively (unexpected). He'll have to make a massive leap just to be playable next season. Still, he's 20. I'd give him a back-up role at both wings with the understanding that he focus almost entirely on 3-and-D. Jake Layman looks a little better-- he may be a serviceable second-division starter offensively. (I like his shooting stroke.) But he, too, struggles to stop just about everyone. This is the spot they need the most help on, IMO.

Draft Help:
    They have a top five pick in the 2020 draft, the Nets' pick (lottery-protected), and the 33rd pick as well.

If I'm the Wolves, Anthony Edwards is the clear choice at the top of the draft. He's quick with the ball, solidly built, and has ridiculous tools. He should be more than adequate as the fourth or fifth option offensively and one of two secondary ball handlers on the team. A five-out offense, where he is given the lane would be ideal for Edwards' talents (though he does have a bit of a shaky handle). He's a little undersized for the position, but that's not as big a deal as it used to be. There will still be no defense played, but, hey, at least all five starters can score, dunk, and run. It should be entertaining, at least.

Unfortunately, Minnesota is unlikely to have the opportunity to draft Edwards. They're probably picking 3rd. (Let's assume, then, a best case, the most likely case, and worst case scenarios.) With their first pick, I'd focus on defense. Onyeka Okongwu is probably my favorite player in the draft. He should be a remarkable defender who can stick in front of just about anyone for a few seconds. Pairing him with KAT would be a great plan, such as plans go. (And he's not an offensive nothing.) He's this year's Bam Adebayo, and I think Adebayo's value far outstrips others in his draft class. A third option-- if the Wolves have to pick later-- would be Israeli wing Deni Avdija. He can play two positions and should be able to shoot it. Eventually. Maybe. Either way, if the Wolves keep four starters, whomever the draft pick with this pick shouldn't have much pressure.

Top draft pick:
    1. Anthony Edwards, G/F
    2. Onyeka Okongwu, PF/ C
    3. Deni Avdija, SF/ PF

For the Nets' pick, I'd target a 3-and-D big or perhaps another shooter. Vandy's Aaron Nesmith would be intriguing as a wing shooter. Since any of the top picks mentioned could play multiple spots, I'd go with Nesmith here. He might be the best shooter in the draft and should end up being an adequate defender with time. If he's already been picked, Devin Vassell or Saddiq Bey should be available. Loading up on shooters is never a bad idea.

Nets' pick:
    1. Aaron Nesmith, SF
    2. Devin Vassell, SF
    3, Saddiq Bey, SF

For the 33rd pick, I'd want a backup big or a backup PG, depending on how the top of the draft plays out. Nick Richards, the C from UK, is a steal in the 2nd round, IMO. He's agile, can shoot out to 15 feet now, and is a willing rim-runner/ rebounder. For 15 mpg, he's a poor man's Willie Cauley-Stein, capable of defending one through five for short spurts. Justin Nwora, SF from UofL, could also be a nice fit. He's got great range and a solid handle. Nice value, perhaps. A backup PG pick could be Ashton Hagans or Tre Jones. Both are plus defenders with undependable jump shots. Either would be fine in short spurts.

Overall Moves:
    1. Keep Malik Beasley at all costs.
    Beasley's an RFA and, due to the coronavirus, won't likely be offered much in free agency. Whatever he's offered, I'd match. He's a legitimate scorer and is perfect complement to KAT and Russell. He will need to play better D, but that's true of all Wolves. Beasley solves a lot of issues on the Wolves' wing.

2. Clean up some roster flotsam.
    Okogie looked like a real find his rookie year. He and Culver have both gone backward if anything, since. Both are very young and have undeniable talent. Perhaps another team would want to gamble so that Minnesota could save some cash? Other than that, it's fine. Especially for a last-place team.

Hypothetical 2020-2021 Depth Chart:
    PG D'Angelo Russell/ Jaylen Nowell/ Tre Jones
    SG Malik Beasley*/ Josh Okogie/ Jacob Evans
    SF Aaron Nesmith/ Jarrett Culver/ Jake Layman
    PF Onyeka Okongwu/ James Johnson/ Omari Spellman/ Jared Vanderbilt
    C Karl-Anthony Towns/ Naz Reid

Expectations:
    That team, with a bit of luck and defensive buy-in from stars KAT, Beasley, and Russell, can compete for a playoff spot as early as next season. It's young, but expensive, limiting the flexibility they might have moving forward. Good news is that Johnson, Culver, and Okogie could be off the books as early as next off-season, saving approximately $25M. Bad news is that might be what they'll be over the cap.

22. Likes:

M2 (05-01-2020),Revering4Blue (05-02-2020)

I wouldn't do the trade from the Knicks point of view. And it's still a horrible trade.
    I actually like the Knicks end better. CJ is 100% of what they need. I think Barrett is quickly going to trend toward bust, but I can see why a team that prides itself on player development would want to bring in someone with his potential. How to fit in Randle with Nurkic and Collins is a question, and even trickier finding minutes for everyone if Robinson is in the package.

Turn Off Ads?