Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which celebrity death affected you the most?

Which celebrity death affected you the most?

In the wake of the awful Kobe Bryant news I’m curious which celebrity death personally affected you the most?

I’ll say I was affected by George Harrison’s death the most, I was truly sad when he passed.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 01-26-2020 at 05:31 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which celebrity death affected you the most?

Robin Williams maybe. Such talent lost, and the fact that it was a suicide..

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    In the wake of the awful Kobe Bryant news I’m curious which celebrity death personally affected you the most?

I’ll say I was most affected by George Harrison’s death the most, I was truly sad when he passed.
    It's hard to say. Right off the top of my head I'd say Karen Carpenter. She had a great thing going with her brother who was a wiz at arranging and pianist. She had a voice that doesn't come along very often. It's hard to say what they would have accomplished. Others whose accomplishes were cut short would be Buddy Holley, Harry Chapin and Jim Croce. I think these folks would have blessed us with much, much more had they lived. I'm sure others will come up with names that'll cause me to re-think this. George Harrison made it to his late 50s and had accomplished a great deal to that point.

Just recently I've been effected by Neil Peart's passing. I've been playing Rush for two weeks straight.

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-05-2020)

Being so remote from my own life, I'd say it's hard to really say celebrity deaths really have an effect on me, but I admit to remaining angry that John Lennon was stolen from us by a lunatic.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

8. Likes:

919191 (02-03-2020),blumj (01-27-2020),Chip R (01-27-2020),RFS62 (01-27-2020)

Jimi Hendrix. In addition to his musical abilities, he would have been an amazing producer. Such attention to detail.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 01-26-2020 at 07:08 PM.

10. Likes:

RFS62 (01-27-2020)

Lennon and Belushi.

The Challenger explosion was a gut punch too. (Though that may not qualify.)

Elvis was a big one, but I was a little kid then and only remember the peculiarity of my mother sobbing and her cousins all coming over to the house to play records and be together.

12. Likes:

RFS62 (01-27-2020)

Chris Farley was a big one for me growing up as far as “out of nowhere” goes. I wasn’t wise enough at the time to figure he was living a pretty hard lifestyle. (I suspect some may have seen it coming)

Tupac/Biggie were jolting as well. That whole era seems surreal now.

Cobain was the biggest one in my life to go early but so sadly it didn’t catch me off guard.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Being so remote from my own life, I'd say it's hard to really say celebrity deaths really have an effect on me, but I admit to remaining angry that John Lennon was stolen from us by a lunatic.
    That was before I was around but that’s the all-timer for me.

John Lennon
    George Harrison
    Tom Petty
    Glenn Frey

Can't think of any others that I spent a lot of time thinking about. I've been saddened by others, but these are the ones that I spent time thinking about.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Roberto Clemente. His play in the '71 series helped make me a fanatic, and then the way he died.

Elvis.

John Lennon.

Roger Miller. It was a childhood hero kind of thing, although this classic rock guy still listens to Miller and Miller covers. I've had the Cake cover of Reincarnation on high rotation lately.

Keith Moon.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 01-26-2020 at 07:48 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

17. Likes:

Betterread (01-27-2020),Chip R (01-27-2020)

Lennon, Garcia, Robin Williams, Petty, Thurman Munson

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Bryant - he transcended the sport, and was a hero to many kids in my generation. One of the greatest competitors ever.

Patrice O'Neal is another. He's probably my favorite comedian of all time. I miss listening to him. Losing Bowie, Anthony Bourdain, and Chris Cornell really sucked, too.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

20. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (01-27-2020)

The Challenger explosion and of course 9/11 were events that made me just up and rethink my life.

Roberto Clemente I suppose. The notion that someone who wasn't old could die was a bit of a shock.

Celebrities don't register on my radar anymore.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Can't say any of them really.

It's sad to see great talent pass prematurely, but I don't know any of them (they could be wonderful people - could be terrible).

Turn Off Ads?