Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which celebrity death affected you the most?

Re: Which celebrity death affected you the most?

Hunter Thompson, but at the same time I'm glad he's not still around to see all of this.

More recently, Leonard Cohen.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Likes:

RFS62 (01-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I was 8 years old when President John F. Kennedy was murdered. His assassination affected me more than any other celebrity death for a variety of reasons, including how shocking it was at the time.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

blumj (01-27-2020),cumberlandreds (01-29-2020),HokieRed (01-28-2020),RFS62 (01-27-2020)

Stan Lee. Of all celebrities, he affected my childhood the most.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (01-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Stan Lee. Of all celebrities, he affected my childhood the most.
    And at this point I hate myself for not mentioning Ray Bradbury. Man, he could get inside you.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-27-2020),RichRed (01-27-2020),TRF (02-17-2020)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Kurt Cobain, easy.

Though Roger Ebert really got to me- I really enjoyed reading his movie reviews and to have that taken from me was a sadder than I ever thought it would be moment.

11. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-27-2020),TRF (02-17-2020)

Really cool to see so many mentions of Robin Williams. Just saw Mrs. Doubtfire again recently and he was so ridiculously good in that movie. It doesn't feel like his loss has still been fully realized.

The ones that have for some reason been the toughest for me to swallow have been Prince and Bourdain.

Yeah, I think Kennedy’s assassination, the Challenger shuttle explosion, and 9/11 are on my list.

Back in the day, Hendrix and Lennon were a big deal to me. Robin Williams hit home. When Tom Seaver dies, I’ll feel it. But I think the years have given me more of a perspective. In addition, having the generation preceding me in my family all die off has added to that perspective. I understand death more now.

Frankly, I can’t think of anyone in the public eye right now that I look up too. We are all imperfect carbon based units.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

RedsBaron (01-27-2020),RFS62 (01-27-2020)

The JFK and MLK assassinations. Mother Teresa.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Frankly, I can’t think of anyone in the public eye right now that I look up too. We are all imperfect carbon based units.
    Yeah, knowledge has its downside. I don't want to go back to an earlier era where the flaws of political leaders and celebrities were hidden from the general public but our knowing more about their shortcomings makes it harder to hold them up as heroes sometimes. I can recall my maternal grandfather thought that FDR was little short of divine. The public was told a century ago that Babe Ruth's character flaw was too great a love of hot dogs. We are all flawed at best.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Hunter Thompson, but at the same time I'm glad he's not still around to see all of this.

More recently, Leonard Cohen.
    Leonard Cohen was a very underrated talent. I've discovered more of his stuff on Youtube since his passing. But I can't say celebrities passing at age 82 affect me that much. We expect them to pass on at that point and they've already pretty much given us all they can. That was the age we lost Frank Sinatra. At some point we just sit back and say, "it was time, thanks for the memories."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah, I think Kennedy’s assassination, the Challenger shuttle explosion, and 9/11 are on my list.

Back in the day, Hendrix and Lennon were a big deal to me. Robin Williams hit home. When Tom Seaver dies, I’ll feel it. But I think the years have given me more of a perspective. In addition, having the generation preceding me in my family all die off has added to that perspective. I understand death more now.

I kinda have gotten to the point where I see a celeb death and I think man that stinks, but it doesn't really effect me. With Kobe, I don't feel bad that Kobe the basketball super star died, I feel bad for the human nature of things. That a father and daughter, that a wife lost both her husband and a child. That there are three girls who lost their dad and their sister. That is what effects me, but it effects me in a broader sense. I tend to think about all the people in everyday life who battle such things. All the people removed from the public eye that deal with loss without the public support.

People whose talents that I miss are Farley (especially after listening to the audiobook about his life), Robin Williams, Chris Cornell, and Lane Staley to name a few.

Michael Jackson because I loved him as a kid but even then it didn't hit me really hard. The only celeb death that really ever hit me hard was Dean Smith, and that's due to him being my idol/role model in sports and life and I lived in the same town, met him many, many times over the years and truly thought the world of him. I knew he was sick, older and that it was coming, but felt like my grandfather the moment my wife read and told me he had passed away. I can remember every detail of that day pretty clearly. I ended up at the Smith Center for hours that afternoon just lost in thought.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Elizabeth Taylor's
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    And at this point I hate myself for not mentioning Ray Bradbury. Man, he could get inside you.
    When I was 20 ('80), I made a T-shirt of Bradbury's mantra, "Get Excited!". He was quite an inspiration for me.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

22. Likes:

marcshoe (01-27-2020)

Mr. Peanut (just kidding). I would say Joe Nuxhall.

The other would be Thurman Munson. Shocking to happen during the season like that then the following game was on national tv.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-29-2020),Redsfaithful (01-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?