Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign OF Nicholas Castellanos to four-year deal

Re: Reds sign OF Nicholas Castellanos to four-year deal

ok wait. When did Aquino ever lack power? It was contact that was his bugaboo. He was either a K or a truly hard hit ball. Siri has power as well. Not Aquino power, but it is there. In fact, I'd say he has more power than Senzel. Just not Senzel's ability to swing and not miss.

If a 27 year old AAAA player can suddenly OPS over 1.000, then Siri can up his hit game with the development plan they seem to have in place in Louisville. I really don't know if another team will claim him. I think if it were going to happen, it will by Monday. If he clears, I don't see any reason for the Reds to release him. Aquino might be the poster child for the Reds development team on swing remakes (VanMeter too as his stance is almost the same as Aquino's from the other side). Siri would be a case of "Do it again".

My history shows I love the underdog. I was a huge Schebler fan. Alas, he's made of tissue. Lots and lots of damaged tissue. I'd be interested in seeing what a power generating swing adjustment could do for Friedl. And Siri in AAA for all of 2020. Hell if I can be hopeful enough to say this year's breakout player is going to be Brandon Finnegan, I can't NOT root for Siri.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    ok wait. When did Aquino ever lack power? It was contact that was his bugaboo. He was either a K or a truly hard hit ball. Siri has power as well. Not Aquino power, but it is there. In fact, I'd say he has more power than Senzel. Just not Senzel's ability to swing and not miss.

If a 27 year old AAAA player can suddenly OPS over 1.000, then Siri can up his hit game with the development plan they seem to have in place in Louisville. I really don't know if another team will claim him. I think if it were going to happen, it will by Monday. If he clears, I don't see any reason for the Reds to release him. Aquino might be the poster child for the Reds development team on swing remakes (VanMeter too as his stance is almost the same as Aquino's from the other side). Siri would be a case of "Do it again".

My history shows I love the underdog. I was a huge Schebler fan. Alas, he's made of tissue. Lots and lots of damaged tissue. I'd be interested in seeing what a power generating swing adjustment could do for Friedl. And Siri in AAA for all of 2020. Hell if I can be hopeful enough to say this year's breakout player is going to be Brandon Finnegan, I can't NOT root for Siri.
    Aquino has always had massive raw power. He’s had good but not great game power. The changes he made allowed him to convert that 70-80 grade raw power into game power without impacting his K rate. His K rate has always been around 25%, not good but not bad. That combined with huge power is a good middle of the order bat. The change took him from a .750 OPS AA bat to a borderline 1.000/.900 OPS bat in AAA/MLB. That’s a huge difference.

Siri has good raw power for a guy with his speed, it’s 55 grade according to fangraphs. Where Aquino was surely 70 or 80 grade before his change. If Siri is able to tap into the raw power better in games, without additional changes, you are still looking at 2017 Keon Broxton at best, not a lot to get excited about. Siri is a bigger task than Aquino, because plate discipline/pitch recognition are harder to teach than a mechanical change.

That being said, I think now was a great time to drop Siri from the 40-man since everyone else has full rosters. I hope the Reds resign him to a minor league deal and are working on some major changes with him. The odds are low, but he’s got some tools you can’t teach. He is worth the attempt.

I totally agree on Friedl and would include Siani. Those two could benefit immensely from a bump in power, they have the plate discipline and contact skills already.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 01-30-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Siri claimed by Mariners per C Trent.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Siri claimed by Mariners per C Trent.
    Arguably the worst possible park in which to play him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Rolando (02-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    true, but he has an option left, and the PCL is a great place to bump his power numbers and develop a modicum of trade interest in him. He's not a centerpiece by any means, but if he gets a good PCL bump, the M's will certainly be able to flip him.

At worst, his SP's will love his glove.

I'd have kept him over my boy Schebler.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I dunno. He could be elite defensively and save a ton of runs there. Especially with a pitching staff as oriented to contact as Seattle's is. He'll run into 20+ HR given a full-time gig. (Which he won't be.)

Basically, he could be Billy Hamilton-esque in his value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I dunno. He could be elite defensively and save a ton of runs there. Especially with a pitching staff as oriented to contact as Seattle's is. He'll run into 20+ HR given a full-time gig. (Which he won't be.)

Basically, he could be Billy Hamilton-esque in his value.
    I'm thinking it's the perfect mix of park and player for sub-Mendoza conditions.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (02-04-2020)

I'm thinking it's the perfect mix of park and player for sub-Mendoza conditions.
    Lewis Brinson with a few more HR and Gold Glove defense might be acceptable to Seattle.

As a 26th man, used properly, he could provide some value.

I hope Seattle gives him a shot as a 4th OF, just because.

That said, glad the Reds are have enough depth to let go of guys like Siri. Two consecutive years of putridity is enough.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Where Aquino was surely 70 or 80 grade before his change.
    On no planet was Aquino a 70 or better raw power guy. You would see some 60's out there, but never saw a 70. There are like 5 dudes on this planet that would get an 80 power grade and Aquino isn't close to that group.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (02-04-2020)

I don't think he'll be playing there......
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

16. Likes:

REDREAD (02-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    On no planet was Aquino a 70 or better raw power guy. You would see some 60's out there, but never saw a 70. There are like 5 dudes on this planet that would get an 80 power grade and Aquino isn't close to that group.
    Fangraphs currently lists 22 guys in the minors with present 70 raw power. 33 guys are listed with a FV 70 or higher Raw power. Maybe Aquino wasn't in that group, but it certainly isn't out of this planet far-fetched to suggest he would have had 70 grade raw power a year or two ago.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...stats?sort=9,1
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Interesting stat regarding Castellanos and Trout:
    Mike Trout has 852 total bases over the last three seasons.
    Nick Castellanos has 934 total bases over the last three seasons.
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-n...-league-debut/

19. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Interesting stat regarding Castellanos and Trout:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-n...-league-debut/
    Many criticized the stat as Cast has 292 more PA during that time frame but I think the stat is more to show how underrated he is as opposed to any real comparison to Mike Trout.

21. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Many criticized the stat as Cast has 292 more PA during that time frame but I think the stat is more to show how underrated he is as opposed to any real comparison to Mike Trout.
    I think most everyone thinks Cast can hit, maybe not as well as that stat suggests, but Cast’s real issue always has been that the gives much of his bat production back with his glove.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?