Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign OF Nicholas Castellanos to four-year deal

Re: Reds sign OF Nicholas Castellanos to four-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Castellanos got $64M and $16M per.

The next highest free agent OF got $20M total. Ozuna got $18M on a one-year deal.
    He's also between Dextor Fowler and Jay Bruce in AAV despite having a much stronger and more consistent bat heading into free agency. He got some extra term, but didn't exactly find a suitor that LOVED him.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    He's also between Dextor Fowler and Jay Bruce in AAV despite having a much stronger and more consistent bat heading into free agency. He got some extra term, but didn't exactly find a suitor that LOVED him.
    Both Fowler and Bruce signed well before Castellanos' foray into free agency. Owners were actively colluding to keep salaries low, so there's that too.

Former Detroit Tigers outfielder Nick Castellanos remembers plenty about his teenage years: The instructional leagues, minicamps and living in the TigerTown dorms in Lakeland, Florida.

Eugenio Suarez remembers those days, too. He grew up with Castellanos in Detroit's organization, played alongside him in the big leagues in 2014 and recently welcomed him to the Cincinnati Reds with open arms.

"He's still the guy I knew from 2011," Suarez said. "For a long time, I played with him. I feel like he's the same guy. Just looks a little bit older, that's it. And he's got tattoos."

Castellanos gets to face his former team Friday on Opening Day in Cincinnati. But he didn't have much to say — at all.

"It's going to be fun," Castellanos said Monday. "I have a lot of love and respect for those guys, so it's going to be cool seeing them.

He's now a member of a talented Reds team stocked with hitters: third baseman Suarez, first baseman Joey Votto, second baseman Mike Moustakas and shortstop Freddy Galvis. The Reds also have one of the NL's better starting rotations: Luis Castillo, Sonny Gray, Trevor Bauer, Wade Miley and Anthony DeSclafani.

Castellanos described Cincinnati's ballclub as "one of the better teams I've been on," and he's not wrong. The Tigers haven't made the playoffs since 2014 — Castellanos' first full season at baseball's highest level. His time on the Cubs coincided with their first postseason absence in five years."
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ti/ar-BB16YVPr

Question
    How does the pandemic and shortened season effect the Castellanos buyout? I've read that owners will be much less likely to dish out large free agent deals next year due to taking a bath this season.

I thought for sure he was one and done here before the season started. Now I think he might be here for the duration of that contract.

6. Likes:

DocRed (07-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    Question
    How does the pandemic and shortened season effect the Castellanos buyout? I've read that owners will be much less likely to dish out large free agent deals next year due to taking a bath this season.

I thought for sure he was one and done here before the season started. Now I think he might be here for the duration of that contract.
    Yeah I'm very confident he won't opt-out after this year (I think you have to opt-out right when the season ends - I don't forsee any closure with with the COVID crisis by then that would open the owners' wallets back up). I think his second opt-out is after next season, which could be in play, but who knows what we will be looking at.

8. Likes:

DocRed (07-21-2020),Edd Roush (07-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    Question

I've been thinking this as well. Even if he does really well teams may also just discount that to a guy that got hot in a shortened season. There's a good chance there is a strike/lockout after next year anyways.

Gotta Love A Cardinals Killer!
    Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Nick Castellanos vs. Cardinals this weekend: 6-for-11, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 6 runs.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (04-05-2021),MR X (04-04-2021)

he said "nicholas."

Honestly - Castellanos is the type of player the Cardinals attract and sign / trade for all the time. It feels great for them to get their dose medicine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-05-2021)

Re: Reds sign OF Nicholas Castellanos to multi-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Let the trade for a SS speculation begin
    Lol
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-05-2021)

NICK CASTELLANOS IS A SIX-TOOL PLAYER ON A SIX-TOOL TEAM

After an incredible week full of home runs, bat flips and walk-offs, this week’s six-tool player of the week is Nick Castellanos.

Castellanos has been thriving in Cincinnati this year. At the plate, he has been dominating, and he’s a leader on the squad that I've dubbed MLB's six-tool team.

On Sunday, Castellanos went 5-for-6 with two home runs and a walk-off knock for the Reds. One of those home runs was on a 3-0 count — we love that!
    https://www.foxsports.com/stories/ml...-ben-verlander

18. Likes:

JFLegal (05-03-2021)

if we lose him after this year because he opts out, that means he will have a monster season (which he is currently having). i'm just going to try and enjoy having him while we do and if we lose him, so be it. will probably mean he's coming off a .900 OPS season.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-04-2021)

It's possible for Castellanos to opt out of the current contract in the off-season, then turn around and sign a new contract with the Reds.

I'd like to see the Reds sign him to extension.

22. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (05-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It's possible for Castellanos to opt out of the current contract in the off-season, then turn around and sign a new contract with the Reds.

I'd like to see the Reds sign him to extension.
    right, but that's an extremely low possibility, imo.

24. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-03-2021)

High Heat Stats
    @HighHeatStats

Nick Castellanos' INSANE last 162 games:

50 doubles
    3 triples
    43 homers

101 RBI, 116 runs scored

39 walks, 163 strikeouts

.282 batting average
    .329 on-base percentage
    .568 slugging percentage

Only thing holding him back is bases on balls. With a few more--superstar.

26. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-03-2021),Mitri (05-03-2021)

Turn Off Ads?