Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Reds considering trading Nick Senzel

Re: Reds considering trading Nick Senzel

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I just don’t understand why folks think that Senzel cannot become a better-than-average center fielder. He has not played the position for one calendar year, yet, and already shows an aptitude to get better. Shogo is no longer a great defensive CF. He is good, which means that he can fill in at CF as a sub.

The maximum best offensive OF that the Reds can put in the OF is Castellanos in LF, Senzel in CF, and Shogo in RF. I don’t buy that Senzel’s best value is in the infield, unless you trade Suarez, Moose, or Votto. And any and all thoughts of Senzel moving to SS isn’t happening EVER in this reality. Senzel’s maximum value to the Reds in 2020 is to be the starting CF.

I have absolutely no faith that Aquino will come close to repeating his 2019 August. That was a mirage that quickly evaporated when the pitchers caught up to him. Yes, he can hit the ball into the next county when he connects, but I cannot help but feel that Aquino will wear out his welcome real quick with his lack of OB ability.

Keep Senzel, and let someone else daydream about Aquino.
    I am old enough to remember when the reds added George Foster but I don't remember. Did close followers of the Reds then believe that George was no way destined for 50+ home runs - maybe an OK backup outfielder?
    Personally I see Aquino and dream of George and I'm enjoying that dream.

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-07-2020),Frank Robinson (02-06-2020),RedForLife (02-20-2020),Roy Tucker (02-19-2020),TRF (02-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    He’s been hurt playing 3b, 2b, and CF. The injuries are a concern, if the guy is in fact injury prone I’m not sure it’s going to matter what defensive position he plays. Probably best he is flexible so you can fit him in where need be when he is healthy.

If he’s not injury prone and it’s just been fluke injuries, CF is a great spot if he can be a league average defender.
    And believe me, I've thought the same thing, and hoping it's just a "bad run" (fluke) he will come out of. The kid is very talented, and also a hard worker. When I look at his number to date I don't put much stock in them - and they're not bad - because of two factors (hurdles) he had to overcome. One is the injuries. And the other is basically being thrown into a premier position with little opportunity to learn the position. Again, we're not talking about an OFer moving to another OF spot; but an INFer converting to an OFer.

But the good news is, going into '20, he now has far more experience, knows the nuances of the position. Shogo, making $7M year, is going to get his playing time. But IMO, he's not everyday, and the reason the Reds acquired him was to give Bell greater depth (options) in the OF.

Ervin or Aquino? Whose the odd-man out? Seen enough of Ervin to know he's solid bench support, that's it. Aquino could draw greater interest in future trade deals.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-07-2020 at 03:50 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Ervin or Aquino? Whose the odd-man out? Seen enough of Ervin to know he's solid bench support, that's it. Aquino could draw greater interest in future trade deals.
    This battle is going to be fascinating. Unfortunately, I think it may come down to minor league options (Aquino has 1, Ervin 0). Where it gets interesting is if Aquino absolutely knocks the cover off the ball in Spring Training. I guess that's a good problem to have considering the recent history of the Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    This battle is going to be fascinating. Unfortunately, I think it may come down to minor league options (Aquino has 1, Ervin 0). Where it gets interesting is if Aquino absolutely knocks the cover off the ball in Spring Training. I guess that's a good problem to have considering the recent history of the Reds!
    Oh to have that problem though! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

From an article by the Padres reporter in the Athletic today:

As part of these considerations, the Padres have discussed a potential three-team trade that would ship Myers to the Red Sox and land Cincinnati Reds center fielder-second baseman Nick Senzel in San Diego, two sources told The Athletic. No agreement is imminent, and it is unknown what the Reds would receive in this scenario. But for the Padres, Senzel would fill a need in the middle of the outfield.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

ballfour (02-19-2020),Griffey012 (02-19-2020),TRF (02-19-2020)

There was talk of Fernando Tatis Jr getting some time in Centerfield during spring training for the Padres on the evening news here. Picking up Senzel could keep that from needing to happen.

But what would the Reds get in this scenario? They are in win-now mode, so they wouldn't be trading Senzel for prospects. I still think the team's biggest weakness is bullpen, and the Padres do have a deep pen. Andres Munoz for example is a really good young arm, but Reds should be wanting more than him for Senzel.

If Mackenzie Gore isn't in the deal then I'm not trading Senzel.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

12. Likes:

HammerTime (02-19-2020)

He still bangs

I have a trade that Id be ok with.

Red Sox get:
    Gore
    Lodolo
    Trammell
    Siani
    Fairchild
    Myers

Padres get:
    Senzel
    JBJ

Reds get:
    Bogaerts

The talk about Tatis taking reps in CF started about the time that SD was having discussions with Cleveland over Lindor. The manager of the Padres says it is unlikely that Tatis will see any time in CF, and that they have their eyes on a couple of candidate center fielders: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...do-tatis-jr-cf

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post

Red Sox get:
    Gore
    Lodolo
    Trammell
    Siani
    Fairchild
    Myers

Padres get:
    Senzel
    JBJ

Reds get:
    Bogaerts
    I guarantee the Red Sox would be ok with that too. It’s grand larceny.

16. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (02-19-2020),JFLegal (02-19-2020),Old school 1983 (02-19-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-19-2020),Rojo Rijo (02-19-2020),Spanky (02-19-2020),Tuff Nut (02-19-2020)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    I guarantee the Red Sox would be ok with that too. It’s grand larceny.
    You wouldn’t give up Senzel, Lodolo, Siani, and Fairchild for 6 years of Bogaerts in his prime?

You wouldn’t give up Senzel, Lodolo, Siani, and Fairchild for 6 years of Bogaerts in his prime?
    I would, but 6 years of Bogaerts in his prime isn't available. He has an opt-out after 2022.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

19. Likes:

JFLegal (02-19-2020),OhioRiverBarge (02-19-2020)

It really depends if he can consistently reproduce what he did last year. If he can then yes, but if he reverts to his pre 2019 stats then no. He needs 2019 offensive number to counter his below average defense (at least per BR). But he is 26 so he certainly could be on the upslope of his career. $20M for 5+ bWAR is cheap, for 2-3 bWAR it is not.

21. Likes:

JFLegal (02-19-2020)

Red Sox get:
    Gore
    Lodolo
    Trammell
    Siani
    Fairchild
    Myers

Padres get:
    Senzel
    JBJ

Reds get:
    Bogaerts
    too much for the reds to give up imo.

23. Likes:

NC Reds (02-19-2020),Redsfan6272 (02-24-2020)

Turn Off Ads?